1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clearing Check Engine and Lighting Mishaps

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by hoton, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Jun 14, 2021 at 11:49 AM
    hoton

hoton [OP] New Member

Member:
    Still new to all this. My old man let me order and install some Raptor lights (from 4Runner lifestyle) on our family's new 2021 4Runner. Then things fell apart into a series of mistakes

I watched the wrong install video which told me to plug the fuse tap into the engine fuse block, using slot EF2. EF2 uses a 7.5A fuse. The fuse tap came with a 15A fuse. I started up the car and it was errors everywhere! (TRAC, check engine light, take it to a dealership). But hey, the lights worked. My dad didn't find this funny.

I unplugged the fuse tap and replaced the 7.5A fuse. Started it back up and the errors were still there. Took it for a spin around the block and it still seems to drive the same.

I found the (right) 4Runner lifestyle install video which mentioned a different technique of pulling the wires into the cabin and using a spare 10A fuse port. Video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psFKVid15Eg

This leaves me with two questions.

1. How do I reset the error status? I'm pretty sure everything is working alright. My old man scheduled a maintenance appointment at the dealership (I have to pay for), but I'm still in school and don't have a lot of money. Other places say you can disconnect the battery (which my dad isn't happy about) or to use an OBD2 reader.

2. Should I replace the 15A fuse in the tap with a 10A and plug it in as mentioned in the video, or is it ok to plug it in with a 15A? I'm kind of nervous about making the problem worse.

2. Jun 14, 2021 at 11:52 AM
    hoton

hoton [OP] New Member

Member:
    FWIW, I asked 4Runner lifestyle about question #2 and they just replied with "You actually leave that 15A and put a 10A in it as well and then it goes to a 10A port!"

3. Jun 14, 2021 at 2:17 PM
    trlhiker

trlhiker Lazy Bum

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1992 4Runner SR5 V6 4X4
    Buy yourself a cheap OBD2 reader and clear the codes. If they come back, then you are in trouble and will be much poorer.

Products Discussed in

To Top