1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Check engine light & other issues

Discussion in '2nd Gen 4Runners (1990-1995)' started by autotoomuch, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Oct 13, 2014 at 9:20 AM
    autotoomuch

autotoomuch [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    92 4 runner 3.0L v6 4x4 automatic
    factory
    Hi everyone I'm Carl & have a 1992 v6 automatic 4x4. The ck engine light was on saying that was not receiving a signal from knock sensor. I've replaced the sensor & pigtail leading to it. The wiring harness had been cut & spliced so I replaced it as well. Now ck engine light is on still says not receiving signal from knock sensor also A/T light is flashing & wants to take off from stop in O/D. I have to manually shift it through the gears once in O/D it will kick down into passing gear & back up. Any ideals.

2. Oct 15, 2014 at 8:20 AM
    Bob

Bob Member Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    SoCal
    @Ol'Blue or @Utah might have an idea of why it's giving that code

3. Oct 15, 2014 at 11:18 AM
    Utah

Utah Misanthrope

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Land of Fake Beer
    Vehicle:
    The Gray Bastard
    3RZ, OME, 5.29s, 4.7, locked/locked
    I'm no help. If the ECU is saying it doesn't see the knock sensor, it doesn't see the knock sensor. Bad sensor or bad wiring or bad ECU are the only options.

Flashing AT light means a transmission malfunction, and there's a way to pull codes from it the same way you pull codes from the ECU. I don't know it off the top of my head, but I'm sure google does! :)

Bob likes this.
  4. Oct 15, 2014 at 11:31 AM
    Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue New Member

Member:
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    Vehicle:
    99 T4R LTD- 33's and locked, 01 SR5-,SAS Sold...
    A few things here and there. Still dreaming up stuff
    give me a bit...

5. Oct 15, 2014 at 5:41 PM
    Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue New Member

Member:
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    Vehicle:
    99 T4R LTD- 33's and locked, 01 SR5-,SAS Sold...
    A few things here and there. Still dreaming up stuff
    I'm with him on that one. I hate to say this but this could get ugly quick. I'll make a call in the morning to my Trans guru. He is all about this stuff.

I'm not really sure what to think. I would throw something up on IATN or some place like that and see what bites or read what is on that after a search is done.

I'm having the same problem now with my Fog lights. I have a short some place in the wire harness so I'm thinking I'm just going to rewire them from the fuse box and call it good.

Blue

Bob likes this.
  6. Oct 16, 2014 at 12:48 AM
    Utah

Utah Misanthrope

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Land of Fake Beer
    Vehicle:
    The Gray Bastard
    Ok, I misspoke. It's a flashing OD light that indicates stored transmission codes: http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl153g.htm. I'm drawing a blank on the flashing AT Temp light - on other vehicles I've owned that indicates a transmission fault, but I'm not sure what it means specifically for you. Automatic transmissions are not something I know a huge amount about, so exactly what might be causing your specific trouble is beyond me. Try the sequence in the link upthread to see if there are any transmission codes that might tell you more, and if that doesn't work, it might be time to take it to the pros.

7. Oct 19, 2014 at 8:00 PM
    autotoomuch

autotoomuch [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    92 4 runner 3.0L v6 4x4 automatic
    factory
    Thanks everyone for your in put. I checked my wiring on my 92 4-runner 3.0 a/t 4x4. Found that one of the wires to my shift solenoid that caused my O/D off light to flash. It shifts fine now & O/D off doesn't flash. I still have the knock sensor code 52. All wires are connected & have continuity. I have already replaced the knock sensor & pigtail. Still getting the code 52. I'm going to run new signal wires from knock sensor pigtail to the ECU unless someone has anything that mite help.

8. Oct 19, 2014 at 11:51 PM
    Utah

Utah Misanthrope

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Land of Fake Beer
    Vehicle:
    The Gray Bastard
    That's about all you've got left. I don't have a wiring diagram for you, but trace the wires into the ECU connector and make sure the pins are good.

Products Discussed in

To Top