1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Check engine light comes on over 20mph

Discussion in '1st Gen 4Runners (1984-1989)' started by Miguel a., Mar 19, 2020.

1. Mar 19, 2020 at 1:38 PM
    Miguel a.

Miguel a. [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    miguel
    Hello im new to this hopefully I’m doing this right I just put a new engine on and my check engine light comes on when i past 20mph running or if I rev up when it’s parked have not clue what could be wrong does anyone has an idea?

2. Mar 20, 2020 at 12:12 PM
    PhantomTweak

PhantomTweak New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    OREGON
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner, bone stock
    None. Bone Stock. EXCEPT: Brushguard, tow hitch, both welded to the frame. It's good to have friends and a fully equipped garage!
    First, it helps us to know exactly WHAT you have. I'm guessing a 22RE motor. Great, so far. 2WD or 4WD? Manual or auto transmission? Is the new motor the same year as the truck?

Second, did you read out the code the CEL (Check Engine Light) is giving you? Do you have an FSM to tell you HOW to read out the codes, and what each one means, or do you need help with a quick "how-to"?

Third, did you check all the vacuum lines VERY carefully, to be certain they are all, and I mean ALL, going to/from where they're supposed to? Usually there's a little sticker under the hood, front left corner, that graphically depicts where they're all supposed to run. Is that sticker there? Presuming the engine is the same year and smog systems as the original, of course.
    When you put in the new motor, did you set the timing correctly? Did you replace the O2 sensor? align the TPS and VAFM correctly?

Does the truck have ANY other symptoms? Rough idle, no power on the highway, blows out a huge cloud of white smoke when you first start it, overheats in the driveway, ANYthing? Usually a CEL will be telling you where to start looking for what might be causing the symptoms you have. If we knew those symptoms it might help, you see? Si!

By the bye, welcome to a wonderful world of Toyota fun :D
    I hope we can help you out with your troubles, but you have to help us help you, yes?
    Good luck!
    Pat☺

Miguel a.[OP] and dcsleeper408 like this.
  3. Mar 20, 2020 at 12:50 PM
    dcsleeper408

dcsleeper408 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Truck is probably bad. Just sell it to me. :D

TN_FunRunner and Miguel a.[OP] like this.
  4. Mar 20, 2020 at 12:53 PM
    SlvrSlug

SlvrSlug Slightly bent.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ramona Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 4-Runner SR-5 P. Kings, Built Right uca’s, Durabumps, RSG sliders
    Welcome to the forum.

Miguel a.[OP] likes this.
  5. Apr 6, 2020 at 9:41 PM
    NightOwl

NightOwl 1985 Toyota 4 Runner DLX 22REC

Member:
    First Name:
    Amos
    Ballwin, MO
    Vehicle:
    1985 Toyota 4 Runner DLX
    LCE header, 2.5 inch exhaust, 31x 10.50 BF Goodrich, 15 X 8 aluminum wheels, Bilstein Shocks, 3 inch lift kit, 3M fender flares
    Wow...Patrick...your on it!!! You are very methodical on your approach and it is so challenging to diagnose a problem with limited information. I have always said in my business...the more information the better I can do the job...in my case I'm a dental tech and this applies to all industries...information is everything!!!

6. Apr 7, 2020 at 12:30 PM
    PhantomTweak

PhantomTweak New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    OREGON
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner, bone stock
    None. Bone Stock. EXCEPT: Brushguard, tow hitch, both welded to the frame. It's good to have friends and a fully equipped garage!
    Hiyas, Amos!
    How goes the troubleshooting? Have you got it all fixed? If so, can you tell us what the trouble was so that if someone else has the same trouble, and they will, maybe we can give them advice to fix it quickly, and get back on the road. Or off the road :D

Any luck reading out the CEL code(s)?
    If so, what was it/them?

What about your symptoms? Can you let us know any further details of those?

We still need to know what we're dealing with, too. What year, what motor, what changes, etc, etc. The devil's in the details, after all :devil:

I do hope we/you get your truck going properly again. It's worth the trouble, IMO! :mudding:

To Top