1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Changing your own oil

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by PCRIDE4RUNNER, Apr 16, 2024.

1. May 15, 2024 at 3:27 AM
    Guppy1301

Guppy1301 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2019 TRD ORP
    Bilstein 6112/5100 TSO bumper Rokmen rear LCA Northstar x2 Voltage pro booster
    Got my 2019 that was a lease turn in with 23k. I'm at 100K. I'm a little sooner than @Static03 on the diff oil changes but like him do all my own work. Surprisingly the brakes that were on the 4Runner when I bought it are just under 1/2 material left. Lots of highway miles! Plus I'm a big believer in not riding the brakes. Need to get 250K like him before I buy another.

TrailSpecial22 likes this.
  2. May 15, 2024 at 3:35 AM
    jharkin

jharkin New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Boston suburbs
    Vehicle:
    2023 Black Pro
    Same here. I always have to use the 1/2 drive breaker bar to get it off.. one of the few things I use that for!!!

3. May 15, 2024 at 3:38 AM
    Static03

Static03 New Member

Member:
    Jacksonville Florida USA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Silver TRD Offroad
    Bilstein 5100's, 1" Cornfed Rear Spacer, Aluminum Skid Plate, Powerstop Z23 Pads/Rotors, 4WDKING 30" Light Bar, Nilight Ditch Lights, BBG4x4 Front Recovery Points, American Outlaw Gunslinger wheels 17x8.5 -6 Offset with Toyo Open Country AT3's
    When I bought it, time wasn't on my side. I had a 2018 Silverado that ended up dropping a lifter. Of course out of warranty. Once I got the truck back it never ran right. Had intermittent misfires that not I nor the dealer could seem to correct. Seemed like my truck was built on a Friday afternoon before someone's vacation. I needed something reliable so I went looking for a 4runner. Wanted 4wd which was very hard to find in FL. Thus the prior rental became the only option.

Guppy1301 likes this.
  4. May 15, 2024 at 8:08 AM
    backpacker

backpacker New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD ORP
    RSG sliders, Falken Wildpeak 265/70R/17 E
    Another possibility is that normal oil pressure squeezes the o-ring more tightly into place, increasing the torque required to undo.

5. May 15, 2024 at 8:12 AM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    Sherpa Crestone. 4X Innovations Sliders
    Could the oil cause the O-ring swell?

java likes this.
  6. May 15, 2024 at 8:21 AM
    Static03

Static03 New Member

Member:
    Jacksonville Florida USA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Silver TRD Offroad
    Bilstein 5100's, 1" Cornfed Rear Spacer, Aluminum Skid Plate, Powerstop Z23 Pads/Rotors, 4WDKING 30" Light Bar, Nilight Ditch Lights, BBG4x4 Front Recovery Points, American Outlaw Gunslinger wheels 17x8.5 -6 Offset with Toyo Open Country AT3's
    I use a torque wrench to tighten down my oil filter and drain cap to factory spec. Next oil change I will use it to take them off and see if the values are the same or if it is indeed tighter.

Skywarner and TrailSpecial22 like this.
  7. May 15, 2024 at 8:22 AM
    TrailSpecial22

TrailSpecial22 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2022 Trail Special Edition Lunar Rock
    2” lift Bilstein 6112 w/600 lb coils front, 1.5” lift Eibach T13 coils rear, Bilstein 5100 rear shocks, TRD skidplate, TRD stainless catback w/black TRD side exhaust, TRD shifter handle, Weathertech bug deflector, 20% tint front, LED door bulbs, 285/70/17 Falken WP AT3, Energy Suspension front bumpstops, SSO Slimline Bumper w/ Badland Shackles, Durobumps 4.25” rear
    what are you torquing it down to?

8. May 15, 2024 at 10:13 AM
    H1M72

H1M72 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    West Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    2024 TRD PRO
    For all those who were wondering Toyota genuine motor oil is actual made by Exxon/Mobil

9. May 15, 2024 at 12:35 PM
    RUNNER4DAN

RUNNER4DAN Cleverly Disguised as a Responsible Adult

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Northern NY State, almost Canada eh?
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Nautical Blue Moon Roof KDSS
    Doesn't need any
    Perhaps pressure is the culprit? Does the housing have a non-return check valve?

I forget what it was I worked on recently but it required pressure to be released before the component could be removed.

10. May 15, 2024 at 12:39 PM
    backpacker

backpacker New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD ORP
    Well, presumably removing the filler cap, removing the oil pan drain plug, draining the oil from the pan, then removing the bottom cap from the filter housing and draining the filter would relieve the pressure.

gomiami and Spare Parts like this.
  11. May 15, 2024 at 1:02 PM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    Sherpa Crestone. 4X Innovations Sliders
    I’ve had all 3 open and still had to muscle the filter housing off.

12. May 15, 2024 at 1:07 PM
    RUNNER4DAN

RUNNER4DAN Cleverly Disguised as a Responsible Adult

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Northern NY State, almost Canada eh?
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Nautical Blue Moon Roof KDSS
    Doesn't need any
    It was the bottom cap on the filter housing I was concerned with. If there was a non return check valve in the oil filter circuit, none of the other caps/plugs would relieve pressure.

13. May 15, 2024 at 1:18 PM
    backpacker

backpacker New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD ORP
    Yeah, the bottom cap always comes off with about the same torque used to install it, and the filter housing drains normally. After that, the o-ring and threads should be the only things in play. I think the o-ring just gets firmly lodged by the oil pressure in normal use, perhaps abetted by any swelling. I'm a tad skeptical of the latter, since I'd expect it to be fairly impermeable.

Spare Parts likes this.
  14. Jun 1, 2024 at 11:13 AM
    SLVRBULIT

SLVRBULIT New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5
    Not sure if this is the right thread.

looking for a front skid plate with an oil filter access hole.

doesn’t need to be off road worthy, just trying to avoid removing the skid plate. Any recommendations?

15. Jun 1, 2024 at 11:14 AM
    java

java fauxrunner

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP ice cap
    scoopless hood, debadge, rci skid, hf gun case...
    I'm on RCI bare aluminum, not bad.

SLVRBULIT[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Jun 1, 2024 at 12:15 PM
    4 Sticks

4 Sticks •I Am The Sea•

Member:
    First Name:
    J!mi
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    ‘24•TRD-ORP
    SLVRBULIT[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Jun 1, 2024 at 1:10 PM
    Rick G.

Rick G. Member since July, 2020

Member:
    The Texas Hill Country
    Vehicle:
    2022 SR5 Premium 4WD
    I bought my 2022 SR5 Premium 4WD pre-owned / certified from my local Toyota dealer, last November 2023. …..also purchased the Toyota extended warranty for it, my choice, for my peace of mind.

I just changed the oil and filter in it myself for my first time as its new owner early in May. I am planning on changing the oil and filter myself every 5,000 miles or every 6 months, whichever comes first. In my case, I am retired and don’t drive it much, so the 6 months is probably always going to expire first in my case. I placed 3,3XX miles on it since I bought it in November and at the 6 month point when I changed oil and filter for my first time owning it.

I used and will always use the official Toyota brand filter cartridge, purchased from my Toyota dealer, and saving my receipts, “for the record”. My oil of choice is Valvoline 0W-20 synthetic. I go way back with Valvoline, so sticking with it on my new to me T4R.

I am documenting everything that I do- mileage reading and date, and also keeping receipts.

At first I was very tempted to go with Valvoline 5W-30 oil, as I had always used in my trusty 2006 Toyota Tundra. I perceived the 0W-20 oil as being “too thin” for use in this brutal Texas summer heat that we have down here.

But, the Toyota service Manager here talked me out of the 5W-30 and said go with the factory specified 0W-20. Ugh, but, OK. So be it.

When I changed my oil for the first time as the new owner last month, I did have a bitch of a time getting that plastic filter housing cap off. I was cussing that thing upside down. I had already drained the oil from the oil pan, and couldn’t get the filter cap off. I was pissed.

I was home alone as wifey was out of town for a couple days on business, with her car, so I had no other vehicle. I had to re-install the oil pan drain plug, pour my new oil in to the engine, and went out shopping to pick up an 18” breaker bar, a torque wrench to use for properly tightening the filter cap to spec when re-installing it, and, for good measure, I stopped at my Toyota dealer to purchase a new filter end cap because I feared I was going to break mine during the removal attempt. Ugh….

Thanks to my new breaker bar, I was able to finally get the end cap loose, only after placing my one foot up against a front tire and using my leg as a brace as additional leverage to help bust the cap loose. How ridiculous. I was cussing out the King Kong ape who must have cranked that thing down previously.

Once I got the cap loose, I cleaned it and inspected it. It looked perfectly fine, but for good measure, I decided to just go ahead and use my Toyota newly purchased end cap instead. I lightly brushed on some graphite anti-seize paste on to the new cap’s threads for good measure before installing it with the new filter cartridge, then torqued the new cap to factory specs with my new torque wrench.

Other than that, the skid plate shields were a bit of a pain to remove and re-install, but I managed. I did purposely leave the shields off for a couple weeks afterwards. I was crawling back under there to re-inspect the oil drain plug and filter end cap to be sure nothing was seeping or leaking. All good, dry as a bone, no leakage. Satisfied, I finally re-installed the skid shields, lol.

As for my tires, I bought new tires at my local Discount Tire store shortly after buying the truck. Not that I needed new tires, but I just wanted them. Discount Tire offered me free lifetime balancings and rotations, so I’m going to let them do my rotations.

I’ll be changing my own oil and filter though on my T4R as long as I’m physically able. I’ll be 69 in August, so I’ll just have to see how long I feel like doing this on my own.

As for the truck itself, I plan on keeping it for a very long time. I love this thing.​

Last edited: Jun 1, 2024
  18. Jun 1, 2024 at 4:38 PM
    roadrunner44

roadrunner44 New Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Off Road Premium Silver
    I Just changed my oil today for the second time - right at 10K miles. Dealer hasn't ever touched it as I'm afraid they'd screw something up. The oil filter assembly was super tight as others have noted above.

I torqued it to spec last time with a high quality torque wrench and it was a bitch to get it off this time - not sure why but could be the gasket swelling. I tried my largest 1/2" socket wrench with just about all the force I could get on it and it wouldn't budge. I don't have a breaker bar but I ended up using a 1/4" Milwaukee impact driver (with 3/8" extension) set to reverse and that was enough to get it loose. I tried a smaller Dewalt impact driver first - it wasn't powerful enough but the stronger Milwaukee impact driver did the trick. The Milwaukee also had a larger battery so that may have helped.

NOTE - if you do this MAKE SURE THE IMPACT DRIVER IS SET TO LOOSEN, NOT TIGHTEN!!!!!
    And don't use it to reinstall of course.

19. Jun 1, 2024 at 6:20 PM
    2Toys

2Toys Imperial Star Cruiser

Member:
    First Name:
    Gordon
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRDORP
    The 'O' ring doesn't swell per say on filter housing installation. It probably gets some compression on it as the filter house is tightened and seated. Then there are heat and cold cycles, and whatever your oil change interval of choice is, the filter housing is hard to remove because the 'O' ring is "set" and there is friction all around the 'O' ring mating surfaces. Be happy it does this. It means your filter housing will not loosen between oil changes (assuming it is torqued).

I always torque my housing to spec just because it is my habit to do so. But installing the filter housing all the way up and giving it a little more in the tighten direction and it will be fine.

TrailSpecial22 and glwood54 like this.
  20. Jun 2, 2024 at 7:29 AM
    jharkin

jharkin New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Boston suburbs
    Vehicle:
    2023 Black Pro
    Coincidentally I did mine this morning. My son and the Mrs. Where up at 4am for an out of town sports event (my turn to skip one ;) ) but I couldnt sleep so I got to it early.

15k service - oil, driveline greasing, tire rotation, etc. I did it myself the first two times and torqued everything to spec. The filter housing came off very easy this time using a 1/2 drive breaker bar and 24mm socket on the MotivX tool. If you don’t have one the breaker bar and 24mm is not expensive and a good investment, as that combo also works perfect for taking the rear diff plugs out.

Skid plate is pretty simple as long as a dealer tech never touched it, put a floor jack under it, unbolt and then use some anti-sieze and carefully hand thread all of them in before using power tools.

IMG_0368.jpg

21. Jun 2, 2024 at 7:38 AM
    Yobruhitsme

Yobruhitsme New Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP
    Was going to do first oil change on my 4R 5k odo.

however the tundra recall is making me reconsider.. I am at 2k on the odo right now.. I don’t trust these Toyota monkeys

Products Discussed in

To Top