1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Can you fit 1 adult and 2 car seats in 4Runner 2nd Row?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by 4runnerdsd, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Jul 20, 2021 at 4:16 AM
    4runnerdsd

4runnerdsd [OP] New Member

Member:
    Please forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere but I have searched and cannot find an answer to my specific question.

I want to purchase a vehicle that allows seating of 1 adult and 2 car seats in the second row. The adult would be a woman (5'3"). I have read articles that implies the 4Runner isn't a good solution for my requirement but I am seeking confirmation. I am wondering if there is a combination of specific (narrow) car seats that would make it possible? I would like to get a 4Runner because it meets all other of my requirements. The maximum length of a trip would be about 2 hours. I know that the 4Runner has an option for a 3rd row but it appears that cargo volume is reduced to the point where it is unusable when you have 3 adults and 2 car seats in the vehicle.

If you have any insight about which car seats to purchase, that would also be greatly appreciated!

I would appreciate any real world advice you can provide. Again, sorry if I missed this discussion elsewhere! Thank you!

2. Jul 20, 2021 at 4:36 AM
    Chris In Milwaukee

Chris In Milwaukee New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium, Magnetic Grey Metallic
    As long as the adult is fairly narrow, it should be fine. It's not the widest vehicle, but it's roomy enough for two normal adults and a smaller one back there. So two car seats and an adult should be okay. Not sure how comfortable it would be for long distances, but at least you have built-in arm rests. :)

Getting in and out might be a bit of a struggle. But if you're using a quick-disconnect car seat, mounting one, loading adult, then mounting the other shouldn't prove too difficult.

3. Jul 20, 2021 at 5:04 AM
    DRobs

DRobs New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Missouri Ozarks
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR - MGM
    Pinstripes, lots of em. Plus a couple dents.
    Yes you can.

I gave a ride to a couple who's Land Rover broke down on a nearby trail. They had 2 kids in car seats. The wife sat in back with the kids and the husband road up front with me. I don't recall the wife being tiny or skinny. Pretty sure they used the middle seat in the back for one of the car seats.

A guy in an old Pathfinder beat me to the recovery...
    Busted Rover.jpg

Chris In Milwaukee likes this.
  4. Jul 20, 2021 at 6:44 PM
    GrantA

GrantA Enjoying God’s creation

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Fully locked 2020 SR5 Premium
    - GOBI roof rack and ladder - Westcott Design Rock sliders - M.O.R.E. Underbody Skid plates - Dual ARB air compressor & ARB single compressor - LED interior lighting - Ironman 2.0 meter awning and enclosure - Ironman winch with factor55 hook - Ironman foam cell pro suspension - Ironman recovery snatch rope - Ironman recovery traction boards - lilbscustomfab Hybrid Front Bumper - lilbscustomfab BMC - RRW RR7-H Hybrid Beadlock wheels - Nitto Trail Grapplers 285/75/17 M/T - 4.88 gears - ARB front air locker - ARB rear air locker - Hi-lift jack & mount - Sony aftermarket speakers - LASFIT External LED Light Conversion - Center console organizer - Glovebox organizer - ICS phone Mount holder - C4 rear bumper with dual swing arms - C4 gas skid plate - C4 rear diff skid plates
    I have a 5th Gen with a 3rd row. We have had an adult sit between the 2 car seats in the middle row. It isn’t the most comfortable and wouldn’t want to do it long term. But it is doable. This really depends on the car seats as well. Some are wider and some are more narrow.

5. Jul 21, 2021 at 4:35 AM
    4runnerdsd

4runnerdsd [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thank you so much for your replies! I appreciate it! Have a great day!

6. Jul 22, 2021 at 2:35 PM
    Fireman9027

Fireman9027 New Member

Member:
    Yes, grandkids were here last week, 2 car seats with mom in the middle

Products Discussed in

To Top