1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Camping in 2022 SR5 Prem

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by ramenfl, Dec 24, 2021.

1. Dec 24, 2021 at 6:35 AM
    ramenfl

ramenfl [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 SR5 Prem
    I'm about to take off on a cross-country road trip. I have the brand new 2022 SR5 Prem.

Question is... with the 120v plug. What happens if I have an electric blanket plugged into it overnight? The sales guy said I wouldn't need to worry about the battery draining, but I want to make sure.

Maybe the better question is, how long can I leave something plugged in without the engine on?

Any other tips/tricks for camping?

2. Dec 24, 2021 at 8:18 AM
    canadian.bacon

canadian.bacon H9 halogen is the best led bulb

Member:
    Snowland
    Vehicle:
    ‘22 Tesla Model Y
    Make sure you have aaa/caa or a jump starter, you will need it.
    In this day and age you still believe the sales guy? Haven't you learned that after you sign on the dotted line, you become a nuisance?
    Auto batteries are not deep cycle, draining them towards empty and recharging them will definitely shorten their lifespan.
    I would rather get a solid sleeping bag and blankets (something rated -30F), warm clothes and wool socks.
    Use the blanket only in the sites that have power.
    Do not sleep with the blanket on all night.

TLDR;
    no.

3. Dec 24, 2021 at 12:56 PM
    Beachguy

Beachguy Normal turned up too loud

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 Premium
    Agree. I have used a -20 sleeping bag in sub-zero weather in a camper and was toasty. And I hate cold and use an electric blanket at home.

4. Dec 24, 2021 at 4:14 PM
    Pavo

Pavo New Member

Member:
    You can't do that even if you wanted to, the rear outlet isn't always "hot" so there's no power it truck is off. Get a jackery or similar power bank or go hard-core and get a deep cycle battery with solar setup

icyhotahs and Moon Landing like this.
  5. Dec 24, 2021 at 4:46 PM
    GrantA

GrantA Enjoying God’s creation

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Fully locked 2020 SR5 Premium
    - GOBI roof rack and ladder - Westcott Design Rock sliders - M.O.R.E. Underbody Skid plates - Dual ARB air compressor & ARB single compressor - LED interior lighting - Ironman 2.0 meter awning and enclosure - Ironman winch with factor55 hook - Ironman foam cell pro suspension - Ironman recovery snatch rope - Ironman recovery traction boards - lilbscustomfab Hybrid Front Bumper - lilbscustomfab BMC - RRW RR7-H Hybrid Beadlock wheels - Nitto Trail Grapplers 285/75/17 M/T - 4.88 gears - ARB front air locker - ARB rear air locker - Hi-lift jack & mount - Sony aftermarket speakers - LASFIT External LED Light Conversion - Center console organizer - Glovebox organizer - ICS phone Mount holder - C4 rear bumper with dual swing arms - C4 gas skid plate - C4 rear diff skid plates
    Yeah your power outlet won’t stay on if you plug into that outlet unless you keep your car running. That is not good for your car and will get expensive. You might as well invest in a. Charge controller, deep cycle battery and solar panels. Or you could just get a Jackery like I have and have the mobility and not deal with all the other parts.

6. Dec 24, 2021 at 7:03 PM
    Moon Landing

Moon Landing AFFTC 1967/68 Eddies Air Patch

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    La Quinta, Ca. AKA "The Skillet"
    Vehicle:
    Moon Rock 4Runner
    Nam 68/69
    If this isn't the only time you'll be needing the equipment(call it cost justification) a power station is a reasonable investment - if it gets used.;)

Here's a recommendation.

Jackery 500(minimum) will run the electric blanket listed below for at least 4 hours, while a Jackery 1000 would more than double that and both will recharge while driving, so either would be fully recharged for the next nights use.

Jackery 500 Amazon *renewed* - $100.00 savings if you trust the renewed part?

https://www.amazon.com/Jackery-Port...97&keywords=jackery+500&qid=1640400881&sr=8-5

Blanket: https://www.amazon.com/Great-Working-Tools-Electric-Blanket/dp/B081X13YTQ

Or, you could idle your car for power. That's a personal choice, and while not recommended it's done by more people than you might think. Do a little research.

Also recommended if you go the idle route: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08C9T9S7...&pd_rd_r=4dcb5acb-45ac-462e-80fd-cfcc55fea2da

And, if you were to choose to do so? Change oil at 3,000 miles or sooner.

Good luck and have a great trip however you decide to go.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2021
To Top