1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cam Tab Gussets

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by slixx1320, Nov 30, 2021.

1. Nov 30, 2021 at 8:07 AM
    slixx1320

slixx1320 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Not sure if this falls under suspensions but please move if it's in the wrong section.

I've been putting it off for a few years and meaning to replace my OEM alignment tabs on the 4th gen. The old one has seen better days, looks weak and seems as though it'll come loose any day now. I want to prevent future mishaps when taking the truck in for an alignment. I'm considering the Marlin Crawler HD LCA Frame Brace over the Total Chaos cam tab gussets. Both priced around the same and does similar functions, it's just that the MC has additional added protection underneath (mini skid plate) and I won't need to remove my LCA to get them installed. In one of the videos I watched of the TC gussets being installed the axles had to be removed in order to drill out the spot welds, so that means draining the diff fluids. I want to avoid all that.

Those who's got the MC, can you shed some light on the pros/cons? Do you regret not going with the other?

2. Nov 30, 2021 at 1:32 PM
    blksubykid

blksubykid New Member

Member:
    I would think you would want to remove the lower control arm for either the MC or TCs since you'll be welding in that general area. Most people who get TC cam tabs also get the spindle gussets done at the same time, but neither should require you to remove the axles from the front diff. I personally will go with MC as they provide more protection. TC replaces your stock cam gussets with a beefed up version but you can still knock out your alignment. The condition of your stock cam tabs may determine which to go with, but the MC can accept TC cam gussets as well.

3. Nov 30, 2021 at 1:52 PM
    slixx1320

slixx1320 [OP] New Member

Member:
    ^^ Removing the LCA would be ideal but if I can alleviate having to remove the LCA, I rather not. Watching MC tutorial video, I think leaving the LCA on should be doable. I won't know till I do it I guess. When the time comes, if removing them is necessary than so be it. I don't see a need in the spindle gussets as I don't wheel that hard. I assume it's to strengthen the arms from harsh landing?

Products Discussed in

To Top