1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CAI and exhaust worth It???

Discussion in 'Performance' started by SeekNDestroy, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Mar 21, 2020 at 8:16 PM
    SeekNDestroy

SeekNDestroy [OP] 346Runner

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD
    Eibach stage one pro loft SPC UCAs With 285/70/17R BFGoodrich KO2 Two 30inch light bars inside grill Hood Protector
    Hey team
    Simple and straightforward question.
    Is the CAI and Exhaust system worth it? Or is it just a waste of money

Trying to increase horsepower and torque but only if the methods are worth it

2. Mar 21, 2020 at 9:40 PM
    ForRun

ForRun 4Runner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 orp
    This is just my opinion. I've had the intake and trd exhaust. The exhaust only sounds good, intake makes it rumble more until you floor it, then it sounds like a beast. I didn't notice any performance gains.
    On the flip side is Sprint booster or pedal commander. Niether adds any HP but eliminates throttle response if set right
    Many will swear they can stomp on the pedal just as fast probably haven't tried it or had it adjusted wrong. For me it was the best performance item short of a super charger that is $$$$ more than I can spend

Barcelona Trail likes this.
  3. Oct 1, 2020 at 4:07 PM
    atgparker

atgparker Cal Poly, ETME 1988

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Mission Viejo, CA
    Vehicle:
    1991 White 4Runner 3.0 L
    Rebuilt Engine MLS and ARP on the heads, DT Header, 2-1/2" CARB compliant Flow-Master CAT with 2.0" Bosal CAT back Dayco 1-1/4" Spacers, SkyJacker M-Series Monotube Shocks, Ball Joint Spacers. 95-9006 K&N Air Cleaner, G-Plus Alum Radiator, ZIrgo 16" Fan, Derale Temp switch/relay
    An engine is a pump and getting the air that is at only 14.7 psi at sea level into the cylinder is the key to power and efficiency. Anything that you can do to enhance the Volumetric flow rate of the air into the engine will enhance the volumetric efficiency which is why superchargers work so well. The naturally aspirated intake design is disadvantaged because the airs temperature and pressure are at ambient conditions so the continuity equation has to be considered. The Volume flow rate or the Weight flow rate or the Mass flow rate are all related by the physical characteristics of the air where the specific weight of the air has a direct bearing as does the resulting density. But that is just one part of the equation. The other part is the velocity of the air in the intake plumbing which based on the RPM of the engine. This will be the same for both an OEM intake system and a CAI modified system. However, as the engine sucks the air into itself there are bends and sweeps and orifices and the air filter all of which each contribute to small reductions in the flow rate at the throttle plate when it is WOT which is otherwise the flow control valve. The CAI intake is banking on reducing these reductions in getting the air to the throttle plate over what the OEM air intake system has going for it. But the gain is going to be at best single digit percentage points in overall performance to be had.

The same can be said for the exhaust but anything you can do to reduce back pressure will trade some torque for the most part in the lower RPM range and will boost peek horse power in the upper RPM range. Again this also has to do with the velocity and the exhaust gas temperature both of which directly influence the volumetric flow rate of the exhaust system. As these parameters are altered the performance character of the engine is changed and often one thing is traded for another.

My testbed has been a pair of early 90's 3VZ-E's and with all of the incremental changes I have made to my 91 4Runner it drives very differently from my son's 90 4Runner that is mostly still stock and is slower. But his loves to be short shifted below 3,500 and mine likes to be reved above and kept above 3,500 with better roll-on to 5,500. Where as my sons 4Runner more of less signs off above 3,500 RPM.

kbp810 and 4Runner fun like this.
  4. Oct 1, 2020 at 4:17 PM
    SlvrSlug

SlvrSlug Slightly bent.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ramona Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 4-Runner SR-5 P. Kings, Built Right uca’s, Durabumps, RSG sliders
    I believe in the newer runners the computers adjust fuel and air mixture, so if you add a after market cai the computer will adjust to oem specs. I could be wrong, i mean hell i have been married 3 times so?

ForRun and 4Runner fun like this.
  5. Nov 20, 2020 at 12:06 AM
    dricko

dricko New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derick W.
    It is worth getting a CAI and exhaust, but don't expect a humongous power gain.

6. Nov 20, 2020 at 7:30 AM
    atgparker

atgparker Cal Poly, ETME 1988

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Mission Viejo, CA
    Vehicle:
    1991 White 4Runner 3.0 L
    Rebuilt Engine MLS and ARP on the heads, DT Header, 2-1/2" CARB compliant Flow-Master CAT with 2.0" Bosal CAT back Dayco 1-1/4" Spacers, SkyJacker M-Series Monotube Shocks, Ball Joint Spacers. 95-9006 K&N Air Cleaner, G-Plus Alum Radiator, ZIrgo 16" Fan, Derale Temp switch/relay
    Like, I posted above in my long explanation the hp gains will be single digit percentage points for any one modification that you make. But because you are questioning the vehicles performance and what you are experiencing is getting all too familiar from your personal experience when you put you right foot down, the answer is always going to be a personal choice on the value of the modifications you decide on. If nothing else the viceral sound is a nice thing if you enjoy your 4Runner as much as I and many others do!

7. Nov 20, 2020 at 9:55 AM
    edgesalon

edgesalon New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Te
    Vehicle:
    18 FunRunner :-)
    I have the Trd exhaust and like it for the sound but i do not think i gained any HP. waiting to hear someones rig with the combo of Trd CAI & Trd exhaust before i get the intake

8. Nov 20, 2020 at 10:09 AM
    Chris In Milwaukee

Chris In Milwaukee New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium, Magnetic Grey Metallic
    I think there are other things I’d rather spend money on, TBH. @atgparker mentioned all the technical reasons. Personally, if it doesn’t have 8 cylinders, I don’t want to hear it at all. :muscleflexing:

Forced air on the other hand...

9. Nov 20, 2020 at 10:16 AM
    2Trex

2Trex New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner | TRD Off Road Premium | Magnetic Gray
    2019 TRD Off Road Premium | Magnetic Gray Metallic | LT255/80R17 Falken Wildpeak A/T3W | Borla Cat Back Exhaust | TRD Cold Air Intake | Toytec Boss 3" Lift | SPC Upper Control Arms | RCI Rock Sliders | Warn Semi-Hidden Winch Mount | Smittybilt X2O 10,000 lb. Winch | Cargo Drawers
    I originally did an Airaid CAI and Borla cat back exhaust. The Airaid was setting off the engine trouble light so I replaced it with the TRD CAI. Performance seemed to be little better with the Airaid over the TRD but was still minimal. The performance gain with the TRD intake and Borla exhaust was minimal. I did not measure horsepower but I am guessing $150 to $200 per horsepower. Is that alone justifiable? Probably not. BUT It sounds great and feels like it is more fun to drive (maybe my imagination). It puts a smile on my face that made it justifiable for me.

To Top