1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buzzing noise from the glove compartment

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by Pshuang04, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Oct 19, 2018 at 6:07 PM
    Pshuang04

Pshuang04 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 4 runner Ltd
    A270B2EE-391E-4947-BB19-C3EF7033ACBA.jpg
    Can anyone help identify the electrical part (black plastic box with part# on it) located on the left side of the glove box. It’s the culprit of a buzzing noise when I turn on my 2005 4 runner. The buzzing goes away after about 15 seconds. Is this an easy replacement?
    Thanks.

2. Sep 29, 2019 at 9:49 AM
    tmcnamee

tmcnamee New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2005 four runner
    I have the same issue with a 2005 4runner. Let me know what you find out. saw one post that it might be a damper actuator door thing?

3. Nov 20, 2019 at 11:53 AM
    tmcnamee

tmcnamee New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2005 four runner
    This part is the blend door actuator (black part). Mine was buzzing too. I called toyota and they said it would be $1100 labor plus the part which is about $150 at toyota. With that info, I decided it was worth spending $42 at auto zone and trying to replace it myself. It's done and it works, but it was not easy. Took about 5 hours and a lot of ingenuity. First remove the wire harness on the top. Squeeze it and it wiggles out. There are 3 screws that hold the actuator to the metal bracket. These must come out first. Then there are 3 screws that hold the metal bracket in place. One screw is easy to remove and replace. The top/back screw is very difficult but doable. The third screw is on the bottom and impossible to get to and/or see. After removing two of the three screws I was able to bend the bracket back and remove the actuator and the white part it is attached to. You can then push back the retainer on the hub that connects the two parts and separate them and put it together with the new actuator. Now you have to replace both the parts making sure the stubs that open and close vents are in the channels of the part that is with the actuator. Then partially replace the two screws that hold the metal bracket, and then replace the screws that hold the actuator to the bracket keeping all the stubs in the proper channels. Then finish tightening the bracket screws and replace the wire harness. If this sounds difficult it's because it is. Good luck!

4. Nov 21, 2019 at 4:00 AM
    DGP1961

DGP1961 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Premium
    If it goes away after 15 seconds you can't just leave it?

5. Nov 21, 2019 at 4:59 AM
    Libagui

Libagui New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Librado
    Vehicle:
    2006 Silver 4runner limited.
    What did you replaced it with?

Products Discussed in

To Top