1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buying a Rental...

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by kami, May 6, 2017.

?

Would you consider purchasing a previous rental vehicle?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. May 6, 2017 at 1:08 PM
    kami

kami [OP] New Member

Member:
    Ok, question for the masses:

I've been in the market for a 5th Gen for some time now, and am trying to find a solid, used example under 50K miles. So far hasn't been much of an issue, however, not many are within a reasonable driving distance to go see. Of the few that are, they seem to mostly be previous rentals from Hertz. My first instinct is to run in the other direction, but after thinking about it, I'm starting to seriously consider going for one. My questions to you are:

1. Would you ever consider purchasing a vehicle that was once a rental? Why or why not?

2. What issues should I be looking out for?

I plan on having the vehicle inspected by an independent shop, but are there any known gremlins that a (possibly) hard driven 5th gen may have? Being Hertz, I feel fairly confident that their vehicles are well maintained, but you never know. Thanks for the input!

2. May 6, 2017 at 1:13 PM
    5thGen4Runner2015

5thGen4Runner2015 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Magnetic Grey Toyota 4Runner SR5
    Honestly I don't know too much about rentals and how well maintained they are but I just picked up a rental 2015 w 28k miles on it about a month ago and I've had no issues whatsoever. Loving my 4Runner!

3. May 6, 2017 at 1:31 PM
    Jean T

Jean T New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4runner 2007 SR5
    I would purchase one but first I would inspect it then negotiate a price with them and then have an inspection at a Toyota dealership with a one hour inspection and a detail report on what to correct. And then another price reduction base on the report.

I used this approach when I purchase my 4runner and I reduce the price twice and got a good solid truck.

Palerider and 5thGen4Runner2015 like this.
  4. May 6, 2017 at 9:37 PM
    jester243

jester243 rabble rabble rabble

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner Trail Premium w/ KDSS
    I changed some lights, tires and tinted windows...mind blowing huh
    We jumped our rental car at mall of America and last trip to Arizona we had a GMC Acadia that lived most of the trip at 6,000 rpm (mostly because that's where the power was). You just don't know how rough this was run, most are ran pretty hard. Just a little weary of any unknown damage that was done

Dtopgun515 likes this.
  5. May 7, 2017 at 8:17 PM
    champ198

champ198 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Duane
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota 4Runner SR5
    I purchased a Hertz 2016 4runner SR5 4WD three weeks ago. It had 29k miles on it. I bought it on a rainy, overcast day(where I couldn't see an issue I describe below). The interior is perfect. Also, the exterior had one very minor scratch and minor abrasion marks on the top rear bumper where people put their luggage in the back. The engine compartment looks like a new car.

The two things I've found is that the Hertz service over tightened the oil fill cap and they over tightened the oil filter cap. They weren't very neat with the oil changes either.

Next, and the biggie, Hertz runs all the rentals through an automated car wash with brushes. Since the car was exactly one year old when I bought it, Hertz had to run that thing through the car wash at least 52 times I'm guessing. After I washed the 4R and got in the sun, the paint has been lightly damaged in places from the circulating brushes. The plastic headlights and paint (especially on the rear hatch, rear bumper, and lower doors) is lightly damaged from the rotating brushes. This can be fixed.

I will need to take it to the body shop and have them take out fine scratches. I would do it myself, but it will take a while and I'd rather have a professional do it. You treat this like removing swirl marks or high speed buffer (holographic or haze) marks. My cousin tells me he thinks I may be "overly" concerned because he didn't see it as a big deal; however, I want it too look great.

My local Toyota dealer and a local Hyundai dealer have used 2016 4Runners for $36,500 and $34,700 respectively. The local toyota dealer also has a used 2014 SR5 as well for $31k.

I paid $29,520 + tax + doc fee. Now having said that, I came out way better than purchasing a through a Toyota dealer. The dealers wouldn't back down much off of price. Keep in mind, Hertz sells to dealers and to the car auctions. Just because a dealer has a used 4Runner on the lot, it may have come from Hertz.

Both the issues I described can be easily addressed. Would I do it again. Yes. I saved thousands.

jester243 and inocoma like this.
  6. May 7, 2017 at 10:14 PM
    brochacho

brochacho New Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sequoia TRD Sport
    Mine was a rental. I bought it as a certified pre-owned from a Toyota local dealer but the previous owner on the carfax was Hertz. It had 9000 miles when I bought it, just 16,000 now but no issues whatsoever. Not a scratch on the paint, and the interior looks new still...

7. May 12, 2017 at 2:36 PM
    Real_Grande

Real_Grande New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 4runner SR5
    My 15 4R was a rental as well. No issues 8 months later. A couple very minor scratches on the paint job and interior was in excellent condition. Plus the price was easily 2 grand cheaper than anything else in my area made it a no brainer. Hertz does maintain these vehicles well. Plus who rents a 4runner and dogs it. Maybe a Camero or a Challenger or something like that.

8. May 12, 2017 at 2:46 PM
    JBTRD

JBTRD As usual, saying something stupid

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2016 (The Real) Trail Edition
    Ehh, a friend who purchased a ford fusion, that was a rental. You could tell that thing was pushed to it limits. The car was in great shape, but the throttle body went out, and shortly after an exhaust leak. Now i know a ford fusion is nothing but a driving tin can, but it was a rental from a ford dealership, i have just stayed away from them being abused and used.

jester243 likes this.
  9. May 17, 2017 at 12:27 PM
    NYNURSE

NYNURSE New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Vehicle:
    2015 T4R Limited
    I would imagine that the vast majority of SUV rentals were to families on vacation who needed an oversized vehicle due to passenger load and excessive luggage. Not exactly people who are going to beat on the car. I would however check every fluid possible and probably drain them once purchased.

10. May 17, 2017 at 12:47 PM
    jester243

jester243 rabble rabble rabble

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner Trail Premium w/ KDSS
    I changed some lights, tires and tinted windows...mind blowing huh
    those two things are not mutually exclusive :anonymous:

also welcome to the site Joe :wave:

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    NYNURSE[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. May 19, 2017 at 8:08 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ---

Member:
    Lexington, Ohio
    I know how I treat a rental vehicle, and I shudder to think of treating my own car that way. If 10% of renters treat the vehicles like I do then you don't ever want to buy a rental.

A 4WD rental is a whole 'nother level of things to fuck up. There's people on this site who don't know when and how to use 4WD. Imagine a total rube renting a 4R and then accidentally driving across the US in 4Hi. You know it's happened.

My wife wanted a 4R and all the dealer used ones were Hertz rentals. We happily paid 3k more for a brand new one.

In fairness we tested all the used ones and they all drove and looked good, though one smelled awful.

OvrlandNoob and jester243 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top