1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bumper/valance repair question

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Nutmegtheref, Apr 29, 2024.

1. Apr 29, 2024 at 12:11 PM
    Nutmegtheref

Nutmegtheref [OP] ****

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro
    Dinged my ass over the weekend when I bottomed out on a trail. Looks like the valance is fine, just broke a few of the clips. From what I've read I need to remove the rear bumper to fix this correctly.

There are a bunch of 10mm bolts to remove but also some clips on the bumper. Will these be reuseable, or should I plan on having extras to replace them if they break during removal?

What about the clips on the valance? Appears I will need a few new ones at a minimum. Can the existing ones be reused if I need to take it entirely off to repair?

bumper.jpg

2. Apr 29, 2024 at 12:19 PM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    Your 4R is new enough where you should be able to reuse any clips removed to take off the bumper cover. It may turn out different, however, once you get it off and find some didn't survive the removal process.

As far as the valance, without seeing the back side of it, it's hard to say whether the tabs on the valance broke, or the clips. I can't imagine those clips are all that expensive, but you may find you need some. Some also may be still sitting inside the bumper...the valance is held on by 13 clips IIRC, so one or two missing might not be critical.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2024
    Nutmegtheref[OP] likes this.
  3. Apr 29, 2024 at 12:35 PM
    wax poetic

wax poetic New Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    21 Super White TRD OR
    OEM+ Trail Edition rims w/ Toyo AT3 in stock size OEM Heritage Grill OEM Black Valences (f + r) Westcott Sliders/Modular Roof Rack Roam 95L case DIY sleeping platform
    My guess (just a guess) is that you broke the valence where the clips go into the valence. You should be able to pull it away from the bumper enough to see that I'd think. If that is the case, your options will be new valence or find a different custom way to mount this one. Clips should be cheap, new valence may not be. There is a black rear pro valence on FB market place near me for $100. Best deal I've seen on one. Good luck!

Nutmegtheref[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top