1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Broken Transmission Pan Bolt

Discussion in 'Other Toyota Vehicles' started by MyNardo, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Sep 25, 2020 at 12:04 PM
    MyNardo

MyNardo [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    May
    Vehicle:
    2015 Trail
    Cheap stuff
    Need some help/input.

I did a transmission oil/filter change on my 2004 Tacoma Prerunner. Since the 4Runner and the Tacoma has the same 19 bolt oil pan, might as well post a question.

After replacing the transmission oil and filter, I noticed fluid was leaking after a few days. After checking things out, a friend of mine said I made some mistakes.

1) I added silicone gasket with the rubber gasket, my mechanic friend said to only use one or the other, not both.
    2) I overfilled the transmission, hence its leaking from the gasket seal. I did check the level when it was cold and hot, but my "hot" was after driving the truck around the block. My guess the oil didn't cycle through everything yet. I added 5 quarts after dropping the pan.
    3) When I first tightened the pan bolts, I only hand tightened the bolts with an extra 1/4 turn. I didn't torque spec. So after the leak I torque the bolt, but I overtightened and broke the bolt head for one of the 19 bolts. Used the wrong tool, I used a 1/2 inch drive ft/lb instead of a 1/4 inch drive in/lb. I was tightening to 15 ft/lb but the correct was around 5-6 ft/lb (65 in/lb)

Back to the problem, now that I'm planning to remove the broken bolt with an extractor, I need to drop the pan again since the broken bolt is in a tight space, the small drill bit will not reach. Now I'm testing for further leaks.

Back to the question:
    1) If it doesn't leak, should I leave the broken bolt alone until the next Transmission oil change? est 75k miles. Just need to monitor now and then if I'm loosing any ATF.
    2) Remove the broken bolt ASAP so it doesn't rust inside the hole/threads. Get a new gasket and don't add any silicone. Re-use the transmission oil that I'll drain from the pan.

Thanks

2. Sep 28, 2020 at 3:25 PM
    trlhiker

trlhiker Lazy Bum

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1992 4Runner SR5 V6 4X4
    I would go with #2 except put new fluid in. The fluid you drain will be a mix of the old and new so don't reuse it.

Products Discussed in

To Top