1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brite Box Anytime Fog Lights

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Vito Corleone, May 16, 2021.

1. May 16, 2021 at 7:00 PM
    Vito Corleone

Vito Corleone [OP] New Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner ORP
    Current Mods: 3/2 Lift Kit w/Billstein 5100’s SPC Front Upper Control Arms 285/70/17 Michelin Defender LTX TRD Pro Wheels TRD Pro Grill 20% Tint on Windows & Sunroof Pedal Commander Cold Air Kit LED Front Turn Signals Brite-Box Anytime Foglight Kit “Tail as Turn” Rear Turn Signal Kit LED Reverse Lights LED Tag Lights LED Puddle Light Pods Sequential Turn Signals N-Fab 3” Step Bars Future Mods: In-Car Camera System Rear Molle Panel Storage System Magnuson Supercharger (when available)
    Today, I installed the Brite Box. This allows the fog lights to be on by themselves or with the high beams.

I have been disappointed with the headlights on my 4Runner since I bought it 7 1/2 months ago. I swapped bulbs and they still suck. On the 2 Tacomas I have owned, making the fog lights able to be on with the bright lights or on by themselves was easy. Not so much on the 4Runner.

The instructions stated it was plug and play which is true. It also states install time was 30 minutes which may be true for someone who is mechanically inclined (I am not). A couple of hours and a few expletives later, voila. Anytime fog lights.

I waited until dark to take it out and drive it. HUGE improvement. I still may do something different with the bulbs but for now, the lighting is MUCH better since I can run the high beams and fog lights together.

Another cool thing about it is that itdoes not affect how the stockheadlight/fog light switch works. If Ichoose to operate the lights in OEM mode, I can still do that, not that Iwould want to now.

The pics are not great but I thinkyou can get the idea.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. May 16, 2021 at 10:03 PM
    Eight08T4R

Eight08T4R New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner
    Toytec Aluma Series Lift with SCS Rays10 Copper
    Thanks for the post. Was just thinking about doing it too.

3. May 17, 2021 at 3:11 AM
    diverdon

diverdon New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    21 t4r sr5 premium
    Very cool I might do this as well

4. Jul 22, 2021 at 5:56 AM
    Burnt Taco

Burnt Taco "Like that's just your opinion, man".

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '22 ORP, Wife's 2020 SR5
    This seems like an excellent mod. I've been frustrated with not being able to operate the fogs independently with Toyota's vehicles. Spent a lot of my life in MT & WY blizzards where the only way to see at night during a blizzard is using fogs only to prevent glare. Does the manufacturer website/ Utube have a full install video. I did view the fogster model video. Is the anytime model install the same?
    Thanks.

5. Jul 22, 2021 at 5:59 AM
    Burnt Taco

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '22 ORP, Wife's 2020 SR5
    I'm also thinking amber fogs might work better for blizzard at night conditions.
    Thanks

6. Jul 22, 2021 at 6:02 AM
    Burnt Taco

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '22 ORP, Wife's 2020 SR5
    I see there is slight damage to the switch housing. What's the best way to pull the switch blank?
    Thanks

7. Jul 22, 2021 at 6:24 AM
    GrantA

GrantA Enjoying God’s creation

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Fully locked 2020 SR5 Premium
    - GOBI roof rack and ladder - Westcott Design Rock sliders - M.O.R.E. Underbody Skid plates - Dual ARB air compressor & ARB single compressor - LED interior lighting - Ironman 2.0 meter awning and enclosure - Ironman winch with factor55 hook - Ironman foam cell pro suspension - Ironman recovery snatch rope - Ironman recovery traction boards - lilbscustomfab Hybrid Front Bumper - lilbscustomfab BMC - RRW RR7-H Hybrid Beadlock wheels - Nitto Trail Grapplers 285/75/17 M/T - 4.88 gears - ARB front air locker - ARB rear air locker - Hi-lift jack & mount - Sony aftermarket speakers - LASFIT External LED Light Conversion - Center console organizer - Glovebox organizer - ICS phone Mount holder - C4 rear bumper with dual swing arms - C4 gas skid plate - C4 rear diff skid plates
    I bought lasfit LED’s for my 4Runner and my wife’s van. HUGE difference over stock!!! I went a little overboard on lights after that and bought a bunch of off-road lights, now I am cranking over 30k+ lumens… still have 2x 10” lightbars to install.

I feel sorry for the next sucker that tries to play games and keep their brights on when driving by me. :laser: <<< this being my light beams.
    94781D81-E260-4426-87BF-4D24B5CAF945.jpg
    jk I couldn’t pull myself to possibly cause someone an accident but the brights on the new LED bulbs are way brighter than stock as well so those work pretty well.

8. Jul 22, 2021 at 2:09 PM
    Daytonaviolet

Daytonaviolet TRD Bro

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    Blizzard Pearl TRD Bro
    I really like this mod :spending:

Did the additional fog switch not fit well ? Why not use the oem fog switch knob? Does the dash indicator still light up ?

LandCruiser and DrewMan like this.
  9. Jul 22, 2021 at 4:13 PM
    Vito Corleone

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner ORP
    Current Mods: 3/2 Lift Kit w/Billstein 5100’s SPC Front Upper Control Arms 285/70/17 Michelin Defender LTX TRD Pro Wheels TRD Pro Grill 20% Tint on Windows & Sunroof Pedal Commander Cold Air Kit LED Front Turn Signals Brite-Box Anytime Foglight Kit “Tail as Turn” Rear Turn Signal Kit LED Reverse Lights LED Tag Lights LED Puddle Light Pods Sequential Turn Signals N-Fab 3” Step Bars Future Mods: In-Car Camera System Rear Molle Panel Storage System Magnuson Supercharger (when available)
    I didn’t find a video that showed much detail. I just followed the directions in the kit. I am about the least mechanically inclined person I know and I was able to install the kit so it should be pretty easy for most anyone else.

DrewMan likes this.
  10. Jul 22, 2021 at 4:17 PM
    Vito Corleone

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner ORP
    That damage occurred before I realized that you have to pull the entire panel to remove the switch blank and install the switch, which is super easy, even for me. You just pull on the sides of the panel and it pops out. It is only held in by clips at the top. I’m not sure how it is held in at the bottom. I just pulled the panel out far enough to fit my hand in.

DrewMan likes this.
  11. Jul 22, 2021 at 6:18 PM
    Foster1

Foster1 New Member

Member:
    I didn't have to pull the dash. Just reached in from under the dash and popped the blank switch from the back. There's 2 clips (top and bottom) that you squeeze and it comes right out.

POWERPLANTHOMER and A&P like this.
  12. Jul 22, 2021 at 7:11 PM
    Txbobcat

Txbobcat New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Venture
    Thanks for sharing. My 2 cents, I didn’t like the 20’ lights either. I got Diode dynamics fog lights installed. Super easy and plenty of light

Henry J likes this.
  13. Jul 22, 2021 at 10:12 PM
    spyder918

spyder918 501st Unit: GGG

Member:
    Central Coast, CA - Crawling at a mall near you
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD ORP MGM
    Where did you get the unit? Weird when you go to thebritebox.com as shown on the unit it redirects to some aspireauto site.

DrewMan likes this.
  14. Jul 23, 2021 at 5:35 AM
    Matt83

Matt83 New Member

Member:
    Northeast
    Does it enable the fog light indicator on the dash when turned on?

DrewMan likes this.
  15. Jul 23, 2021 at 6:45 AM
    ElectroBoy

ElectroBoy Ad astra

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 ORP

The website descriptions of the britebox operation are incomplete and confusing.
    https://www.aspireautoaccessories.com/product-page/the-brite-box-for-toyota-4runner
    Please clear up these questions. Did you get the Anytime version?

How do you operate the extra push button switch in combination with the OEM stalk switch? What are the states of the two switches for these scenarios:
    - OEM mode (fogs on only with low beams, fogs off with high beams)
    - Fogs only mode (LB and HB off)
    - Fogs plus high beams
    - Fogs plus low beams

- What is the state of the Fog indicator light in the dash during each of these modes?

- Can you post a pdf or photo of the installation instructions?

Thanks.

16. Jul 23, 2021 at 9:04 AM
    Big B

Big B Out Exploring

Member:
    Reno/Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRDOR
    KINGS! w/ adjust Method Race Wheels, Good Year Ultra-terrains 285/70/r17, GOBI Rack, Baja-Designs/Cali-Raised LED Lights, SSO stealth front bumper, RSG Sliders, FACTOR 55 ultrahook Smitty Bilt x20 winch (syn.), TYT TH9800, X Bull Recovery Boards
    After researching this product....I disconnected mine, and installed bajas straight to a switch pro. Super simple, and I can make them do whatever I want ...dim, strobe/pulse, on/off, etc

Daytonaviolet likes this.
  17. Jul 23, 2021 at 11:53 AM
    Daytonaviolet

Daytonaviolet TRD Bro

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    Blizzard Pearl TRD Bro
    I watched this guys video for the anytime box for a tocoma and he describes the functions really well. So my interpretation:

1. There’s new push button switch to activate anytime mode.

2. Once in anytime mode, fogs on the stalk turns on the fogs in high beam mode and if the headlights are off.

3. If anytime mode is off, fogs function like oem.

@Vito Corleone can you confirm :)

https://youtu.be/2zEzTOVOLyU

18. Jul 23, 2021 at 7:00 PM
    ElectroBoy

ElectroBoy Ad astra

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 ORP
    Thanks for that.
    Now that I’ve looked at the 4R fog lights wiring diagram and from what I can deduce from the vendor documents and this video I think I know what’s going on.

Since there’s no connection to battery ground that I can see, only a power connection to +12V, there’s no relay inside the box switching the power to the fog lights. The relay coil would need a power and ground to activate. Therefore I suspect the 12V is directly switched inside the cabin with that pushbutton switch.

The activated On position of the switch connects +12V to the fogs and the normal Off position re-connects the fogs back to the OEM power feed from a relay that is controlled by the Main Body ECU.

Maybe the switch contact rating is high enough to last for several hundred operations but that’s a cheap unreliable way to do it.

Toyota’s OEM approach is to switch the relatively high headlight and foglight currents through relays. This britebox design doesn’t.

Unless I’ve missed the ground wire connection somewhere. @Vito Corleone can you confirm that there is no ground wire and you do not hear any relay clicking from the britebox module when you press the button?

BTW, the Foglight On indicator LED on the instrument panel will not be illuminated when fogs are On with this product.

19. Jul 28, 2021 at 10:51 PM
    Mr.Franko

Mr.Franko New Member

Member:
    Dallas/Ft.Worth
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD PRO
  20. Aug 19, 2021 at 7:06 AM
    Charlievee

Charlievee New Member

Member:
    Can we get a SITREP on this mod? Have you noticed any negatives? Any interference with radio or other electrical gizmos?

21. Aug 19, 2021 at 8:16 AM
    Vito Corleone

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner ORP
    The only negative is that there is nothing (warning chime, etc.) to remind you that the fog lights are on after you turn off the vehicle. Since the fog lights on the 4Runner basically suck (brightness level), I have accidentally left them on a couple of times. It wasn’t for long and it was not enough to drain the battery.

There has been no electrical interference with the radio or other electrical devices on the vehicle.

Overall, I am very happy with the mod and I may be trading for a 21’ or 22’ in the near future. I will swap the kit over to the new vehicle when I get it, providing that everything is compatible.

DrewMan and Charlievee[QUOTED] like this.
  22. Aug 19, 2021 at 9:15 AM
    ElectroBoy

ElectroBoy Ad astra

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 ORP
    Did the box have a connection to the battery negative terminal (or chassis ground)?

DrewMan likes this.
  23. Aug 19, 2021 at 9:39 AM
    Vito Corleone

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner ORP
    Ground if I remember correctly.

24. Dec 17, 2021 at 11:15 AM
    JustATallDude

JustATallDude New Member+

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    Gibson Single Exit Exhaust - Magnuson Supercharger - Sprint Booster - GTR Ultra2 Highs - Evil Headlights w/ Morimoto LED - Anzo Black Smoked Tail Lights - LED Interior Lights - A-Pillar Phone Mount Mod - CTH Side Mirrors - Eibach TRD Pro-Lift Springs - Falken Wildpeak A/T3s 285/70/17 - FSW F246 17x8.5 - Lasfit LED Turn Signals - DDI Seat Jackers - Apex Overland Front Recovery Points - Big Red's Turn Signal Mod and AMD Mod - R4T Blackout Turn Signals - BlackVue DR590 Dashcam and more to come...
    I just received mine and installed it yesterday but something isn't right. The only connections I had were for the fog light, the button, and the cable that goes to the battery. Should there be a ground? And when everything is hooked up the button is always lit but it doesn't even turn on the fogs. I watched the video above and did all of the same steps. What did I do wrong?

DrewMan likes this.
  25. Dec 17, 2021 at 11:26 AM
    Too Stroked

Too Stroked New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    South shore of Lake Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 Premium
    If you have something going to the positive side of the battery, I certainly hope there's a fuse in-line somewhere.

26. Dec 17, 2021 at 11:27 AM
    JustATallDude

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Gibson Single Exit Exhaust - Magnuson Supercharger - Sprint Booster - GTR Ultra2 Highs - Evil Headlights w/ Morimoto LED - Anzo Black Smoked Tail Lights - LED Interior Lights - A-Pillar Phone Mount Mod - CTH Side Mirrors - Eibach TRD Pro-Lift Springs - Falken Wildpeak A/T3s 285/70/17 - FSW F246 17x8.5 - Lasfit LED Turn Signals - DDI Seat Jackers - Apex Overland Front Recovery Points - Big Red's Turn Signal Mod and AMD Mod - R4T Blackout Turn Signals - BlackVue DR590 Dashcam and more to come...
    Indeed there is.

Too Stroked[QUOTED] likes this.
  27. Dec 18, 2021 at 6:37 AM
    kwill

kwill New Member

Member:
  28. Dec 18, 2021 at 6:42 AM
    JustATallDude

Member:
    Vehicle:
  29. Dec 18, 2021 at 8:07 AM
    kwill

kwill New Member

Member:
    Me too. I just installed it yesterday and apparently it doesn't need a ground wire. It seems to work fine without one.

DrewMan likes this.
  30. Dec 18, 2021 at 8:10 AM
    JustATallDude

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Hmm.. Maybe something is wrong with my unit then? I have everything connected correctly, but the button is constantly lit but doesn't turn on the fogs

Products Discussed in

To Top