1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brake lights don't work when headlights are on

Discussion in '2nd Gen 4Runners (1990-1995)' started by KaiGuy, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Dec 20, 2018 at 10:27 AM
    KaiGuy

KaiGuy [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    91 4runner 3.0 V6
    The title about sums it up, brake lights don't seem to work whenever the headlights are turned on. also, the taillights don't appear to work.

recently bought a 91 4runner 3.0 v6 5-speed manual with 178k miles in pretty good condition but seems to have some electrical problems. a previous owner had installed an aftermarket radio, speakers and subwoofers. they did some funky stuff with the radio wiring and ripped out the woofer and stereos before selling leaving the wires. I paid someone to help me look at it and he said he thought it was the headlight switch, changing it out did nothing for the problem.

I'm a beginner when it comes to electrical, but if anyone has any clues where i might start, I would like to try to look at it myself before having to pay for more diagnoses that may or may not lead to a solution

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply.

2. Mar 16, 2019 at 3:10 PM
    Smitty86

Smitty86 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyota 4runner
    I had the same issue when I had an 86 Monte Carlo. Would d up being the dimmer wire was grounded to the body and was causing turn signals and brake lights to not work. Not sure if that helps but just throwing it out there.

Products Discussed in

To Top