1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brake controllers for a 2018 TRD

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Fred99, Jun 14, 2023.

1. Jun 14, 2023 at 12:50 PM
    Fred99

Fred99 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    Hello! We have a 2018 4Runner and a 2009 Jayco Feather 17' -- weighs about 3000 lbs empty.
    I am looking at brake controllers.
    The Curt 51180 Echo Mobile Electric Trailer Brake Controller looks very simple with just plugging it into the 7 pin connectors. Reviews complain that it is fragile, the app may malfunction and may even hinder charging the auxillary battery. Then with the "Redarc Tow-Pro Elite Brake Controller - Dash Knob" that is mounted I cannot determine if it is an easy plug in with the 4Runner or if wires need to be spliced. Likewise with the Curt Trailer Brake Controller with adapter". I am not wire savvy and I do not want to cut wires and invalidate the warranty.
    Lastly, with the "Tekonsha Prodigy P3" I am also worried about simplicity of installation. This one does have the best reviews.
    Any opinions would be greatly appreciated about these or any others.
    Thank you!

2. Jun 14, 2023 at 2:09 PM
    RumHamRunner73

RumHamRunner73 Dead on with a zero

Member:
    First Name:
    Philip
    Oakboro, N.C
    Vehicle:
    2022 4 Runner Limited. Blizzard Pearl
    I have the Prodigy p3 in my Tundra for around 4.5 to 5 years and have had no issue what so ever.

Currently do not have one in the 4Runner but the Tekonsha has worked well in regards to the brand. I have a P2 standing by that i was planning on putting on the runner in the future if needed.

3. Jun 14, 2023 at 2:46 PM
    wingo

wingo New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Venture
    I installed the Redarc Tow-Pro, ordered the wiring harness from their website. Also ordered the the control knob mount. It was all plug and play, no splicing of wires. No issues with it.

int pic 3.jpg

4. Jun 16, 2023 at 10:24 AM
    Hungryhawk

Hungryhawk New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Southern CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    A few years ago I installed the Hopkins Insite modular style brake controller. Fits very tidy and out of the way. Full plug in, no wiring issues. I installed with 3 small holes under the dash (by parking brake) to homemade bracket for controller module. I popped out a switch hole plug to left of heater knob and screw attached a custom little IMG_9596.jpg IMG_9597.jpg bracket to attach the proportional control sliding switch to manually engage brakes. The little square gauge showing brake power percent is attached with velcro to lnstrument cluster beside the trip reset pin.IMG_9599.pngIMG_9598.jpg
    I hope photos show up correctly in this post.
    Feel free to contact me with any questions.
    Hungryhawk.

RumHamRunner73 likes this.
To Top