1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bought a 2000 4Runner with 233k miles for $1000. A couple of issues...

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by josh3rd, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Feb 26, 2019 at 11:07 AM
    josh3rd

josh3rd [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Vehicle:
    New owner of a 2000 4runner
    Yesterday I just bought a 2000 4runner limited v6 with optional 4wd for $1000 bucks. It has 233k on it and the previous owner has meticulous maintenance records. He always changed the oil. Not always at 3000miles but from 3k-5k miles he did. He had the timing belt changed/fixed, new catalytic converter, New exhaust, new axles (not sure front or back...gotta read again), new battery, tune ups, the trans fluid is like it is in the bottle (clear and a reddish color) and the oil must just been changed as well. There may be some other things I'm forgetting I'm sure but I'll add it later.

Some issues have popped up that I didn't notice upon pre buying inspection.

The power locks don't work. There isn't a key fob, just a normal key. The key will open the locked doors but won't lock the doors. So I have to physically push each lock down to lock it. The power lock switches on the driver and passenger doors will unlock but not lock doors and my tail gate lock that is outside of the vehicle is missing.

The lights on the radio don't come on but it plays. I checked all fuses and see none that are burnt out, and oh yeah, I got short arms and hate how the radio is below the climate control system.

I have a fog light switch but don't see no fog lights. Not sure if they're below the bumper (the rectangle light box that has an orange bulb in there).

One thing I noticed is that once a year he replaced the pads and rotors. So I came to this forum looking for reasons why. Obviously I read about the brake swap/upgrades and I read a lot of how to do it. Now some of the posts are old but none the less very helpful.

Ok if you would obligue me please:

I want to do the brake upgrade/swap thing. I don't want to pay boo koo dollars and I feel so confused like a virgin on prom night, when I look on Amazon, Napa, eBay and what have you, looking for parts, kits, right sizes and so on. I seen some links and some worked and didn't work. Now I know that there is 2 options...199mm and a 231mm. I seen some threads saying 231 is the way to go but they needed spacers. I don't want that. I want to bolt and go. I don't care if I have to cut a dust shield but that's it. I just need links for rotors, calipers, full pads no levels on em and etc. I hope I'm not beating a dead horse by asking this but seriously I just want the right stuff the first time around.

So if possible can you guys post actual working links to the products that's most suggested to get? FYI I have factory 16 inch rims, 6 lugs (that's what the cap looks like anyway), and the rim is a 5 star type of rim.

Now I don't plan on towing a trailer or hauling nothing except myself, my Presa and family. I am not planning on going 4 wheeling or lift kitting it up. Now understand that I said I'm not planning but as everyone knows s**t happens, lol.

Fellas thanks a bunch before hand. I'll go take some pics and post asap

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Feb 26, 2019 at 11:46 AM
    HoBoDanny

HoBoDanny Dude...

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2004 SR5 V6 4WD 4Runner
    RCI Skid Plate CBI Ditch Light Brackets Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10 265 70R17 113T Tires 1.25” Wheel Spacers TPMS Bypass Mod Hydrocarbon Filter Removed Merca decal 2” leveling kit front only Black headlights
    Holly hell man... well welcome! As for why he changed the brake pads yearly no clue I would ask first. Maybe he didn’t know better. 231mm are for 17” wheels 199mm are for 16” wheels. Parts need to be from a 2001 Tundra. I would just get them from rockauto or your local parts store. Good luck :thumbsup:

3. Feb 26, 2019 at 12:02 PM
    josh3rd

josh3rd [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Vehicle:
    New owner of a 2000 4runner
    Danny, I looked under it today and read some numbers on the caliper. It said s13wm. So does that mean that they're the 199mm already on it?

4. Feb 26, 2019 at 1:34 PM
    HoBoDanny

HoBoDanny Dude...

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2004 SR5 V6 4WD 4Runner
    RCI Skid Plate CBI Ditch Light Brackets Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10 265 70R17 113T Tires 1.25” Wheel Spacers TPMS Bypass Mod Hydrocarbon Filter Removed Merca decal 2” leveling kit front only Black headlights
    No the 199mm will be stamped s13we.

Products Discussed in

To Top