1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bilstein 5100s with 265/70/17 Rubbing Issues

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by 4RunnerRVA, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Oct 16, 2020 at 5:58 AM
    4RunnerRVA

4RunnerRVA [OP] New Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Hey everyone - Ive googled everywhere and I cant seem to find anyone with this problem..

Ive got a 2020 SR5 with the TRD Wheels wrapped with 265/70/17 Falken Wildpeaks. Just installed Bilstein 5100s set at .85 and before alignment it was perfect.

Took it to Toyota and they absolutely suggested an alignment, so I did. Now it is rubbing in reverse, nowhere near full lock. It seems as if it is hitting the corner of the front bumper first.. This doesn't seem right to me, and toyota tells me its not their problem. The only thing I can think of is that the steering wheel was a little off center, so maybe that completely threw the alignment off by them not keeping it straight during the process?

Below are the before and after specs for any sort of insight.. Id prefer not to chop my bumpers and I could do the fender liner mod but that doesn't seem to be the issue.

IMG_2473.jpg

2. Oct 16, 2020 at 6:54 AM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    When you added the TRD wheels (I'm assuming those are the Pro wheels, right?) you kicked your wheels/tires a little further out with a lower offset (+4 instead of the +15 with the SR5 wheels). This can cause you to rub in areas. In fact, Toyota performs the fender liner mod on stock Pros at the port before they ship them to the dealers for this very reason.

With your alignment, they increased your caster (within the proper specifications), which pushed your tire forward in the wheel well. That combined with the lower offset Pro wheels sounds like culprit to your rubbing.

The fender liner mod will absolutely help in this situation if you are rubbing on the front bumper. You push the fender liner up an inch or so and trim the very bottom corner of your front bumper with a sharp box cutter. A little bit goes a long way. You won't even be able to notice it's been done and will probably take you a grand total of 15 minutes per side. No more rubbing.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  3. Oct 16, 2020 at 7:05 AM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    Caster likely causing this issue due to offset of wheels like @nimby said.

Couple options, a little chopping/molding would work. UCAs with higher caster would help (but you'd need another alignment). Both for me, and I only rub now when full stuff in a very offcamber situation off road, it's so rare the noise surprises me, and I only managed to have it happen twice on a weeklong offroad trip. In other words, those will fix your problem.

4. Oct 16, 2020 at 7:16 AM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    I don't think UCA's will solve the problem in this particular situation.

It sounds to me like he's rubbing on the front fender flare (in front of the tire).

By adding UCA's and pushing the caster even further forward, you would just increase the rub in that area.

Best to just do the fender liner mod, IMO.

SlvrSlug likes this.
  5. Oct 16, 2020 at 7:21 AM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    Oops, I read it wrong. Yes, caster would make it worse.

Time for mods :)

nimby likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top