1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bilstein 5100 shocks and struts

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by DIRTBIKEDAVE, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Jun 18, 2020 at 7:56 PM
    DIRTBIKEDAVE

DIRTBIKEDAVE [OP] 2nd 4Runner even better than the 1st one I had.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    St. Louis, MO.
    Vehicle:
    My 2nd 03' 4th GEN. even better than the 1st. V8 SPORT
    VOLANT cold air intake, LED's inside, rear, and front. tinted window shades.
    WOW, what an improvement!!! I had the XREAS system on, and didn't like the side sway when a breeze would come up. it actually felt unsafe to control (keep straight in my lane).and it's not the tire press. or sway bars or links (all changed). I had that system removed and got a standard set of struts and shocks from StrutMaster, online. ran them for a few months. helped the side sway but was getting too much up down on dips in the road on highway. (I'm picky). didn't like the feel. Saw several on here and youtube installing the Bilsteins. So, got a complete set of 5100's and had them installed. Handling, and stability is 100%. WOW what a difference.

2. Jun 19, 2020 at 9:22 PM
    extremophilzelite

extremophilzelite New Member

Member:
    Bay Area, California
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 2WD
    That’s so awesome to hear as I have just ordered bilsteins for mine too. Took me a long time to come to the decision but considering how cheap these are I decided to just go for it. Did you lift it up at all? Would love to hear how you set yours up

3. Jun 19, 2020 at 9:30 PM
    DIRTBIKEDAVE

DIRTBIKEDAVE [OP] 2nd 4Runner even better than the 1st one I had.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    St. Louis, MO.
    Vehicle:
    My 2nd 03' 4th GEN. even better than the 1st. V8 SPORT
    VOLANT cold air intake, LED's inside, rear, and front. tinted window shades.
    I don't plan to off road it, so didn't want to mess with taller suspension or taller tires. the new tires I got are a tad taller than stock. and they look, and fill the wheel wheel well. lowered my mpg .5. its like riding in a sports car, even though its heavier. paid $460 new for front and rear, without coils on rear or front. because I had them left over from the new StrutMaster shocks and used them.

4. Jun 20, 2020 at 4:44 AM
    karmatp

karmatp New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 4x4
    TRD wheels, Firestone destination at 2’s, Bilstein 5100's .85
    Well done. I would rather have 5100’s up front instead of XRES also. Much cheaper and perfect ride for much less money.

Starr likes this.
  5. Jun 28, 2020 at 10:42 AM
    WMU

WMU New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Wabamun, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2006 - 1GR-FE - Ltd - 2007 - 1GRE - Ltd - 2008 - 2UZ - Ltd
    Shrockworks Bumper - Winch - Rock Sliders - Bilsteins - 2 inch lift - Hankook Dynapro MT
    XREAS stripped of all three runners. Bilsteins installed with 2 inch lift. Great cornering and off road these shocks work well.

6. Jun 30, 2020 at 12:14 AM
    Kev4Runner

Kev4Runner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    California
    Vehicle:
    06 4Runner Sport Edition V8 4x4
    Upgraded stereo
    I’m thinking about having the B5100s installed too.
    I currently have the xreas suspension on as well. Every so often when I come to a complete stop a few seconds later the back drops down and it makes this clunking noise. When I happened first I thought someone rear ended me, I looked back and there wasn’t a car there. I had it checked and they said it’s the rear auto leveling and shocks doing that. They said $1200 to replace just the rear shocks, though it’s not a safety concern. So I just kept my $1200 and kept the clucking too. Now that I was told my rear shocks have a slight leak. I’ve been searching where to purchase the B5100s for a good price. So far I’ve came across 3 different websites, the highest priced one was $460, and the lowest priced one was $399.
    I think strutmaster was the middle priced one.
    when you order shocks, does it come with the hardware or do you have to purchase that separate.
    My Toyota dealership said they will install the B5100s, take out the xreas system. I want to purchase them at a good price. Or should just let Toyota dealership order it themselves. The quote I was given was roughly $1200 for all 4 shocks, parts and labor.
    Is that a good deal?

7. Jun 30, 2020 at 2:13 AM
    extremophilzelite

Member:
    Bay Area, California
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 2WD
    I’m not sure because I haven’t done it, but I’ve heard that removing xreas is a pretty straight forward job you can do yourself. Dealership is of course going to way over charge for that, as well as the labor for the bilsteins. $1200 for all that seems absurd. The bilsteins are another straight forward, step by step job that you can learn, you just have to have the right tools. I’m embarking on that mission soon myself and trying to install them on mine. Here’s some videos I’m gonna use to help me through it:

https://youtu.be/dEnMvblCHyo
    https://youtu.be/Pm-dSFeSR6o
    https://youtu.be/xWJhMBYwlTo

8. Jun 30, 2020 at 4:10 AM
    Mohoman

Mohoman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Vehicle:
    99 Limited
    Queen of Battle
    If purchasing 5100 you’ll most likely need to purchase some new springs front and back. For budget lifts, people generally swap older FJ coils to the 4th gen as they are a direct fit. Another budget option would be to swap out a 3rd gen Tacoma suspension. This also is a direct swap (you will need new size bushings for the rear shocks.) I have this current setup on my 06. I have a V8 and the shocks are a little soft which makes sense considering they are for a lighter vehicle. Lastly, the job doesn’t require to much expertise. The removal of the XREAS is very simple once disconnected from the front and rear shocks. Actually, if you’re looking for a new suspension I have a set of 5160 and 6112 I’ve been looking to get rid of. Might be out of the range of what you’re looking for though. Best of luck!!

9. Jun 30, 2020 at 11:27 PM
    Kev4Runner

Kev4Runner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    California
    Vehicle:
    Upgraded stereo
    Yea unfortunately I don’t have the right tools for that nor the set up. And another thing I’m not very knowledgeable when it comes to working on cars, then again I never tried too. But the main thing is I don’t have the tools for it.
    And yup $1200 is a lot, the labor of course always cost more. Labor alone is about $750. I would like to find a place that the labor isn’t as much but I don’t know where to go and trust a random shop for quality work for cheaper price.

10. Jun 30, 2020 at 11:29 PM
    Kev4Runner

Kev4Runner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    California
    Vehicle:
    Upgraded stereo
    When I called a place asking about shocks and all, I was told there is no need to change out the coils unless they are damaged. If I don’t change the coils will it affect the ride quality and handling?

11. Jul 1, 2020 at 12:44 AM
    extremophilzelite

Member:
    Bay Area, California
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 2WD

Yeah, I’m having the same dilemma with where to get my wheels and tires mounted/balanced and an alignment. Called toyota and of course was quoted way too high to justify. You can definitely find other random shops that will charge less for the same quality of service, just takes diligence to do your research and find them. I would suggest spend some time on Yelp and try to find reviews from people who had the same work done on their 4runner.

12. Jul 1, 2020 at 4:30 AM
    Mohoman

Mohoman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Vehicle:
    99 Limited
    Queen of Battle
    Totoally understandable! I’ve been picking up tools as need be from time to time and my collection can get most things done. I’m not sure the cost but if you’re in SoCal there is a place called “the trucks stop” highly reputable shop specializing in Toyota’s and whatnot. I’m not one to toot my own horn but, I’m no mechanic. I do watch many YouTube videos and try to find all the info needed on these forums and hopefully it builds the confidence to do the work yourself. Either way, GL! I’d help I lived close by!

Products Discussed in

To Top