1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best Upgrade for Headlights

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Lawdawg33, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Sep 8, 2022 at 11:17 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    I've been using Osram Nightbreaker Lasers for low beams, and got about a year out of them. The shortened life seems to be unavoidable with brighter bulbs. I think that's why the H9 upgrade is so popular. You get better output, even with the standard bulbs. I recently switched from upgraded H11's to basic H9's, and the output is still better.

2. Sep 8, 2022 at 12:44 PM
    2016Pro

2016Pro Why all of the Pro hate?

Member:
    Leds don't work well in the 4runners, they aren't made for our trucks system

kmeeg[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Sep 8, 2022 at 12:46 PM
    2016Pro

Member:
    How long do h9s last? I have 3 years on my hids so far

4. Sep 8, 2022 at 1:28 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    I guess it probably depends on which ones you buy. I would imagine they should last as long as any halogen bulb.

In general, I probably go through bulbs faster than most people because I do a lot of night driving, and I put on a lot of miles.

I think the H9 conversion is popular because you don't have to add any extra parts to make them work. You can buy the cheapest H9 bulbs available and get a substantial increase in output.

5. Sep 8, 2022 at 2:23 PM
    mynameistory

mynameistory New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tory
    Vehicle:
    The same 4Runner everyone has
    Another reason is that you can use them without destroying your reflector bowls from UV light, since they are just halogen bulbs.

They also don't require any weird mail-order Chinesium parts when replacement is necessary, unlike re-based HID bulbs and ballasts. Just walk into any auto parts store.

Thatbassguy[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Sep 8, 2022 at 4:45 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    I knew there was more to it. :D

7. Sep 8, 2022 at 7:53 PM
    taco_runner

taco_runner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kev
    Vehicle:
    4Runner TRD OR Premium
    Anyone using this one for low beam? I really want to change mine because it's so weak ...low beam.jpg

8. Sep 8, 2022 at 8:03 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    I haven't try these but for about similar price point I have tested Nilight highbeam and low beam combo and its was a huge upgrade in light output. As of now it is $55 for both highbeam + lowbeam package - https://amzn.to/3iFt6DU

https://youtu.be/bGmUQcZ-4K4

taco_runner[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Sep 9, 2022 at 5:30 PM
    Whiptastichandling

Whiptastichandling NCrunner

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    15 Trail Premium
    3in Ironman 4x4 nitro stage 2 suspension lift 285s

yes there aren’t great. Good color but don’t illuminate evenly and they don’t cast out as far as stock bulbs

taco_runner[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Sep 9, 2022 at 5:33 PM
    Whiptastichandling

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    15 Trail Premium
    Dumb question, I’m not a car guy. Is there something you can do with normal bulbs plugging them in to cause them to not shine correctly? The stocks were evenly shinning frontwards and side to side. They were put in correctly and clicked into place. Now below is what the last two lights have done
    9AA993FC-5791-4E88-B520-A674DA219D78.jpg

11. Sep 9, 2022 at 6:06 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    What bulbs did you use?

12. Sep 9, 2022 at 6:20 PM
    Whiptastichandling

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    15 Trail Premium
    this time sylvania silver star ultra

13. Sep 9, 2022 at 6:33 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    That seems kind of weird. I have seen some pictures where people have mentioned that there are some dark spots in the beam. But, have you confirmed that both bulbs are working?

14. Sep 9, 2022 at 7:15 PM
    2016Pro

Member:
    Leds don't work properly in 4runner housing

15. Sep 9, 2022 at 7:58 PM
    taco_runner

taco_runner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kev
    Vehicle:
    4Runner TRD OR Premium
    is it because they don't fit properly, or they have dark spots? Thanks

16. Sep 9, 2022 at 8:11 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Neither do HID's :boink:

17. Sep 9, 2022 at 8:12 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    kolter45 and taco_runner[QUOTED] like this.
  18. Sep 10, 2022 at 1:59 AM
    Whiptastichandling

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    15 Trail Premium
    Yes, with both sets Iv tried now they are all burning. Junk in car go down road and there’s dark spots in the same place two different brands of lights same places of darkness

19. Sep 11, 2022 at 10:46 AM
    2016Pro

Member:
    Not true

20. Sep 11, 2022 at 11:05 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    So as this. Not true..:boink:

21. Sep 11, 2022 at 4:31 PM
    mynameistory

mynameistory New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tory
    Vehicle:
    He means halogen housings, which is true.

If you have halogen housings, use halogen bulbs for best performance. If you have factory OEM LED projectors, use those (because you can't change bulbs in them anyway).

2016Pro and Thatbassguy like this.
  22. Sep 11, 2022 at 5:28 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    I see..

But with my experience I would never discouraged any with stock halogens to change to good LED bulbs because they were far better than my stock halogens and high power H11 halogens like Philips Xtreme Vision when it comes to light output and not overload the wires that are designed to run 55W. And I don't want to mess with the socket.

Even the 35w HIDs were a big light output upgrade for me.

Just my opinion not to discourage.

23. Sep 11, 2022 at 6:32 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM

I think it has more to do with how LED's project light versus a halogen or HID. Some are better than others, but for the most part they don't seem to perform as well as one might expect.

The Tacomaworld thread linked in post #167 has a ton of great information. The guy who started the thread has a ton of tests and is very knowledgeable.

24. Sep 11, 2022 at 6:47 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    Yes sir, just shared my opinion about people say "LED / HID don't work." They work really well for me as shown on multiple videos I tested. So I don't discourage anyone. If it doesn't work return for free.

25. Sep 11, 2022 at 7:15 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    I have no personal experience with it, so I'm just passing along what I've read. But, it seems that they (LED) shouldn't work properly because of the way they emit light. Even though they make light more efficiently, they shouldn't work properly in a housing that's not specifically designed for them.

If you have them and you like them, then that's all that matters.

I stuck with halogen because that was the simplest upgrade.

kmeeg[QUOTED] likes this.
  26. Sep 12, 2022 at 3:05 PM
    mynameistory

mynameistory New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tory
    Vehicle:
    "They work" is a different statement than "they work as designed". Not to pee in your Wheaties, but your tests are subjective and based on no criteria other than personal perception. You need instrumented testing and data to show anything other than an opinion.

Even on the cheapest Amazon bulbs, LED chips are brighter than halogen filaments- brightness is the easy part. The problem is focus. LED chips on a board just can't shrink down to the thickness of a halogen filament (some are getting close, but precious few). With the light source(s) pushed out of the focal point, the beam shape is altered and critical things like hotspot intensity are shifted or dimmed. Often what happens is that the headlights become brighter in the immediate foreground, but their ability to project light far down the road (hotspot) is severely handicapped. That's why Ryland (crashnburn80) on Tacomaworld is very careful to show how a brighter LED bulb may not result in a performant headlight, using calibrated tools and distances to perform back-to-back comparisons. Even he would tell you that his datasets are not perfect, as he is an engineer during the day but testing lights is a hobby for him that doesn't pay the bills.

OEM LED headlights have optics and heat management that are designed with LED light sources in mind, and there is a world of difference between them and the Frankenstein bulbs that are trying to shoehorn into halogen assemblies.

HID replacements are actually decent in terms of performance, as the little xenon "pills" can be made the size of halogen filaments. However, you run into the potential for "baking" your reflective optics (the extra UV light emitted by xenon will make the reflective coatings brittle, gray, and flaky, gradually reducing performance over time). They also have questionable reliability in general, as they are not made by reputable companies but are instead assembled from a myriad of existing parts slapped together (HID capsules, halogen bulb bases, aftermarket ballasts, etc.) and when they need replacement, you'll have to order more and wait for them to arrive. Personally, I'd steer clear as almost everyone I've ever talked to has had some problem or another.

27. Sep 12, 2022 at 3:43 PM
    4runningMan

4runningMan New Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    If one were to make a reasoned argument, the H9 is hands down the best “upgrade to stock” for those looking for something a little brighter. Optically and performance-wise (for the driver + others on the road), there’s not a better and/or safer upgrade for all parties involved.

Sure, drop in LED’s might lay down a nice bright spot in front of the truck, but that comes with consequences, as already explained. For someone that drives slowly and/or just in town, that upgrade “feels” great (I know I’d like it in town). And it probably is in that instance (but it probably still sucks for oncoming drivers). But I won’t do that because I know the rest of the story.

Personally, I tried the H9’s. They were great. And if ya gotta try something, it’s a good thing to try. But even with the distinct cut off, there were scenarios where I felt they were too bright for oncoming drivers. Especially winding hill country. Rather than blinding others, I’ll just slow down a bit. Great upgrade though. And the only one I’d recommend.

kmeeg and taco_runner like this.
  28. Sep 12, 2022 at 3:59 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:

Not saying you are wrong. I respect you guys have have far more expertise on this. Amateurs like myself are not good at doing surgery on bulbs so if other solutions work way better than stock we use it. At least I personally with the direct plug in HIDs and LEDs I tried on my and my friends vehicles see better at night, not scared I would ruin the socket, not scared I would over load the circuit, better life expectancy.

upload_2022-9-12_16-52-59.jpg
    upload_2022-9-12_16-54-50.jpg

4runningMan[QUOTED] likes this.
  29. Sep 12, 2022 at 4:12 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM

To be fair, I was able to make h9s fit in the parking lot at the auto parts store with about 5 minutes of screwing around. I didn't even have the right tools with me, so I was just winging it with what I had in the car. I used a utility knife and a side cutters.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
  30. Sep 12, 2022 at 6:57 PM
    4runningMan

4runningMan New Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    I’m curious about drop in LED’s. I’d like to see them in action sometime just for fun.

To Top