1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best UCA's

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by T4ROP, May 27, 2024.

1. May 27, 2024 at 5:03 PM
    T4ROP

T4ROP [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 Voodoo Blue 4Runner
    Voodoo Blue Paint 3" Ironman lift w/UCA's OEM TRD wheels w/ 33" Falkens Bump stops all around Coastal Offroad front bumper w/winch Rock Sliders Woodsbuilt RTT w/solar and battery backup Leather seat covers Front and Rear RealTime Camera system ...a work in progress...
    What UCA's do you all recommend.
    3" Ironman lift with Ironman UCA's now but I think they are failing.
    Lots of vibration on and off, some terrible clanking sounds, and steering is hookin a bit to the right.
    Tires are all OK. Filled right. Brakes are good. Rotors good....
    Cant think of anything else it could be.

2. May 27, 2024 at 5:22 PM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    Have you verified no issues with your tie rods, LCA's, shock bushings, etc.?

3. May 27, 2024 at 5:44 PM
    T4ROP

T4ROP [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 Voodoo Blue 4Runner
    Voodoo Blue Paint 3" Ironman lift w/UCA's OEM TRD wheels w/ 33" Falkens Bump stops all around Coastal Offroad front bumper w/winch Rock Sliders Woodsbuilt RTT w/solar and battery backup Leather seat covers Front and Rear RealTime Camera system ...a work in progress...
    So far yes, we've checked all of those. It's crazy because the whole suspension system is new a little over a year ago. Dumped crazy money to build a capable vehicle and it's so embarrassing when hitting the smallest bump in the road. lol

4. May 28, 2024 at 3:18 AM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    Sherpa Crestone. 4X Innovations Sliders
  5. Jun 14, 2024 at 8:27 AM
    R4Adventure

R4Adventure New Member

Member:
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    2004 Gray 4Runner SR5 V8
    2.5" Bilstein lift, 1" body lift, 34" tires on 17x9 Method Racing 312 wheels, CBI front bumper with Warn EVO10s winch, full RCI under armor and rock sliders, ARB front and rear air lockers, 8.2" rear axle house swap, etc....
    I love Kai's videos and seeing his FJ makes me wish I still had mine. T4ROP, a few other things I would check would be:
    1. Front wheel bearings for play, especially if they haven't been replaced
    2. Wheel balance (test by swapping fronts with rears and see if there's a difference)
    3. Lower control arm bolts
      1. May just need to be tightened
      2. Might be slop in the bolts
      3. Also check the two bolts for the lower ball joint
    Sounds like the Ironman setup, if installed properly, is a solid choice. If they are only a year old, I doubt they are failing unless they are defective. Personally, I have Total Chaos UCA's and although they are higher maintenance with the spherical bearings and polyurethane bushings, they haven't failed me.

That said, I know the last owner replaced the lower control arms on my 4Runner with a cheap set form TRQ. Not sure if they are the issue, but I get an occasional clunk when hitting a bump and turning. It's either that or the worn top hats on my shocks, which are fairly new Bilstein's but I the top hats are original. I still have the factory LCA's and parts to rebuild them.

6. Jun 14, 2024 at 8:37 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg New Member

Member:
    Since Tinkers video I thought Ironman is good and need no maintaince like OEM UCA. If they are also sh^t I think OEM Toyota UCA is the best. Less likely to fail, have very good ball movement, no maintenance required.

7. Jun 14, 2024 at 8:55 AM
    R4Adventure

R4Adventure New Member

Member:
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    2004 Gray 4Runner SR5 V8
    2.5" Bilstein lift, 1" body lift, 34" tires on 17x9 Method Racing 312 wheels, CBI front bumper with Warn EVO10s winch, full RCI under armor and rock sliders, ARB front and rear air lockers, 8.2" rear axle house swap, etc....
    If your Toyota has less than a 2" inch lift and/or your not running wide or crazy offsets, I agree with kmeeg.

However, like Tinker mentioned in his videos, at 2" of lift or higher (2.5" is a common lift height on Toyota's), an aftermarket UCA is recommended to correct the caster and create clearance for the tire. Otherwise attempts to get back or close to factory alignment specs will be difficult and may result in poor handling/steering. Think shopping car steering.

Can you run a stock UCA with a 2.5" lift? Yes. I did for several thousand miles in my 4Runner, so it is doable but I don't recommend it.

Products Discussed in

To Top