1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best Rooftop Tent for long road trip.

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by IOTOI, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Jun 17, 2017 at 7:15 AM
    IOTOI

IOTOI [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota 4Runner Limited
    Looking to buy a rooftop tent for my 2016 4runner, we are 2 people and be traveling for 3 months so looking for something comfortable and easy to use, don't want to be squeezed in to the rent as this will be our home for couple of months.

Looking for something that is durable/good built/easy to use and best for the money

What about these 2 from REI, good thing is that if not satisfied I can always return them.
    Tepui Tents Autana XL Sky 4 Tent
    Or
    Yakima SkyRise 3 Rooftop Tent

Any recommendations?

TheOverlandShop likes this.
  2. Jun 18, 2017 at 9:03 AM
    Deere9798

Deere9798 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota 4Runner
    I would definitely lean towards the Tepui/ CVT Tents instead of the Yakima. From what I have heard the Yakima is made of a lighter weight tent material that is less durable.

_Charlie

IOTOI [OP] likes this.
  3. Jun 18, 2017 at 7:18 PM
    Palerider

Palerider New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD PRO quicksand
    Installed Rago brackets and 4" cube ditch lights. Weather tech mats. Cargo net. Cargo mat. Ordered Gobi rack with ladder.
    Check out the one from ikamper. Very well engineered with a hard shell topper.

4. Jun 27, 2017 at 3:35 PM
    CrossfitZombie

CrossfitZombie New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    WNC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Gen 5
    RTT, Hood scoop LED
    Just got the yakima sky rise 2 person from REI. Super quick to open and close. But unfortunately as its their first go around the material is a bit cheap. Im trying to decide if I want to return and go with a brand thats bin around longer. The others are canvas material so I'm worried it will get hot and stale inside at night. I already run hot so that would be the death of me.

IOTOI [OP] likes this.
  5. Jun 27, 2017 at 9:57 PM
    POOLGUY

POOLGUY New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    '08 4RUNNER
    I have the CVT Denali, it can get warm in there, but with a 12v fan it's not bad. Seems to cool off at night with the windows all open.

6. Jun 28, 2017 at 9:13 AM
    CrossfitZombie

CrossfitZombie New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    WNC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Gen 5
    RTT, Hood scoop LED
    wanna know some crazy shit? totally forgot about the new height after the tent was on my truck. Drove into a parking garage and cleaned the tent right off my rack!! I pride myself on my situational awareness but sometimes shit just happens. FML

7. Jun 30, 2017 at 2:59 AM
    IOTOI

IOTOI [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    That sucks!

8. Jun 30, 2017 at 4:52 AM
    Jean T

Jean T New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4runner 2007 SR5
    I am wondering how much the fuel consumption of the truck is it by a roof tent?

9. Jun 30, 2017 at 1:29 PM
    TheOverlandShop

TheOverlandShop New Member

Member:
    St. Louis, Mo
    Vehicle:
    98' 4runner SR5 & 06' 4runner SR5
    We highly suggest the Tepui Autumn XL Tent. Tepui has done an exceptional job at designing these tents. There is a big difference in the quality, size, and craftsmanship of the Yakima vs. Tepui. While Yakima is a great company and make some wonderful products, they were late to the Roof Top Tent game and lack some of the features and designs that Tepui has. We recently did a trade show with a Tepui RTT next to a Yakima RTT and it was amazing to hear the feedback between the 2 tents. Most people noticed the quality difference pretty quickly.

That being said, we have been running a Tepui Ayer on our 3rd gen and have about 45 nights in it and it's been a game changer. Takes us less than 7 minutes to set up and break down, we store our sleeping bags and pillows in the tent while traveling, and the tent has help up great under some seriously questionable conditions. While I would recommend Yakima for racks and other accessories all day, I feel that Tepui has the upper hand in the RTT world.

We're running some 4th of July Tepui Tents specials if you're looking to order this weekend, we could hook you with a good deal. I'll send a PM your way with some info.

http://www.theoverlandshop.com/store/p185/Tepui_Autana_XL_Sky_Roof_Top_Tent_(4_Person).html

10. Jun 30, 2017 at 4:08 PM
    Jean T

Jean T New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4runner 2007 SR5

Do you have a floor plan that show us that 4 adults can sleep in your tent?

11. Jun 30, 2017 at 4:25 PM
    TheOverlandShop

TheOverlandShop New Member

Member:
    St. Louis, Mo
    Vehicle:
    98' 4runner SR5 & 06' 4runner SR5
    I don't have a "floor plan" but the dimensions for the tent are Open (72''W x 122''L x 52''H). The last 4 man we sold fit 3 full adults and a small child in it. I will say, it's a tight fit for 4. They say 4 man but more comfortably it's a 3 man. The big advantage to the Autana XL is it comes with the Annex which many people have utilized for adding a cot or 2 for additional sleeping spaces. This works out really well with bigger families and might be a good option to consider for using the annex.

12. Jul 4, 2017 at 10:00 AM
    chamberman1979

chamberman1979 2016 TRD PRO

Member:
    Colorado
    Hefty Fabworks Bumper, Skid Plate and Rock Sliders. Icon Suspension, Winch, Spare Tire Mount, RIgid LED Fof Lights, HID Headlights, Ladder, Trail Grapplers
    I did the same with a brand new Yakima bike rack, it was only about two inches higher than my roof rack but apparently my truck only has less than an inch to spare in my garage...luckily I just bent it up a bit, I am pretty sure it will still work fine, but I ended up not taking it on a camping trip. Total bummer when that kind of crap happens, like getting punched in the stomach!

TheOverlandShop likes this.
  13. Jul 8, 2017 at 1:27 PM
    Husky Driver

Husky Driver Sitka's chauffeur

Member:
    First Name:
    Kipp
    40°35'09.0"N 105°04'38.3"W
    Vehicle:
    2k T4R3 SR5 Highlander Sport TRD
    Toytec Ultimate 3" lift susp w/ Bilstein 5100 shocks front & rear, ARB Roo Bar, Warn VR10k, 11-meter 2 way radio, Nitrogen inflated Hankook Dynapro ATM10s, FlexFuel E-85 conversion, K&N lifetime filters, Savage Offroad rock sliders, Ryno All Terrain 4.5mm skid plates, Line-X coatings on the armor, LifetimeLED & Rigid Industries LED headlights, Tepui Ayer RTT on a custom designed low profile rack w/ a wind deflector, UltraGauge 1.2, RTI 4.10 eLocker with armor from LROR, AmsOil lubricants used throughout. CBI plate rear bumper with swingaway. TRD Supercharger w/ URD 7th inj. install on track for Jan 2016.
    My mileage actually improved by 1.5-2mpg after installing mine with a wind deflector.

14. Jul 8, 2017 at 11:01 PM
    Relentless

Relentless Offroad armor Fabricating beast! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks NV
    Vehicle:
    05 Limited 4.7 V8, long travel, dual locked
    Lifted on 35s and Relentless Armored, too much to list!
    If I was in an RTT every night for that long, I'd only look at hard shell pop-up tents. Alucab would be my choice. We plan to get one to replace our Tepui Kukenam Ruggedized as soon as funds allow.

44357 likes this.
  15. Jul 9, 2017 at 10:29 AM
    IOTOI

IOTOI [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    What's your reasoning? I looked at iKamper. One issue is that most of the hard shells you have to preorder and it could take over a month. One thing I don't like about them is that the ceiling is low and not many windows.

I'm most likely going with CVT pioneer stargazer extended. Everyone says they're better build than Tepui, not that Tepui is bad. I also like that the CVT stargazer has an opening on top that can be completely open, clear plastic closing or mesh

16. Jul 9, 2017 at 2:29 PM
    Relentless

Relentless Offroad armor Fabricating beast! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks NV
    Vehicle:
    05 Limited 4.7 V8, long travel, dual locked
    Lifted on 35s and Relentless Armored, too much to list!
    Hard shell is instant setup/take down with almost no effort. Unlatch, lift until struts take over to pop tent completely. Bedding stays inside, so just hook the ladder and throw up your clothes bag and you're ready to sleep. Watch an Alucab video, they pop it and close it in less than a minute, doesnt get easier than that. I own 2 standard RTT's (TJM Yulara and the previously mentioned Tepui) and while they have benefits over ground tents they are not particularly fast or easy to set up and take down daily on the roof of a lifted 4runner, it gets old fast when doing it daily on an expedition style trip.
    Plus some hard shells allow for additional cargo to be carried on top, cant do that with a soft tent.

4Paw likes this.
  17. Jul 9, 2017 at 3:43 PM
    Jean T

Jean T New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4runner 2007 SR5
    Alucab are from Africa and I suspect they will cost one arm and probably one leg.... Too

The product is from North America and seem to be OK but how does it react in the cold with aluminium has first product close to you?

And how much does it cost delivered in North America?

Were can I see and try one?

18. Jul 10, 2017 at 7:24 PM
    IOTOI

IOTOI [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  19. Jul 10, 2017 at 7:28 PM
    IOTOI

IOTOI [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Also tomorrow ordering a Frontrunner Slimline II (full length), at least one jerry can.
    Already ordered a ARB 50qt refrigerator/freezer.
    I have to order some recovery equipment...

BlackInSac likes this.
  20. Jul 11, 2017 at 5:49 AM
    Jean T

Jean T New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4runner 2007 SR5

I am from Montreal and I did Yukon and Alsaska last summer with my 4runner. If you have time try to spend few days a the Tombstone park in Yukon at least 3 to 5 days just amazing place.

http://www.env.gov.yk.ca/camping-parks/tombstonepark.php

Then coming back to Dawson take the Top of the World Highway to Alaska. Just amazing!

Dont forget Dead Horse in Alaska too

Bring a camera... and of course 2 spares.... lots of gravel ouf!!!

21. Jul 11, 2017 at 6:56 AM
    BlackInSac

BlackInSac New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Vehicle:
    14 LE
    Fn F(x) wheels / 275 KO2 / RevTec leveling kit / Halo Headlights / Blacked out LE braces & Tail
    IOTOI, post some pics and stories here so the non-instagram peeps can follow along! Good Luck and have fun!

To Top