1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best phone mount options

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010+)' started by KSapanza4Runner, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Jun 16, 2020 at 10:49 AM
    Big B

Big B New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    20TRDOR
    Bilstein 6112/5160 Vision Wheels 285/70/r17 KO2s #FUNRUNR
    Same setup I have, works surprisingly well, even off road.

nimby likes this.
  2. Jun 16, 2020 at 11:18 AM
    erfer1

erfer1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    SW NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 Limited
    I have wondered about the effect of the magnet on the SD card in the phone...

3. Jun 18, 2020 at 9:54 AM
    mrmike7189

mrmike7189 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Vehicle:
    2020 silver 4 runner SR5
    I dont understand why you need to mount your phone?
    Just stick in a pocket or the center console and use the blue tooth wireless.
    With the touchscreen and all the steering wheel controls, I manage to talk on my phone all day while driving and it is much safer .

4. Jun 18, 2020 at 10:05 AM
    DStar920

DStar920 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium
    I use off-road maps which don't display on the screen. I also am one of the few who is a Apple fan boy but hates CarPlay.

5. Jun 19, 2020 at 7:23 AM
    doc4216

doc4216 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shannon
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 Premium
    Bilstein 5100s, Toyo AT II, Overall awesomeness
  6. Jun 19, 2020 at 7:48 AM
    Snickel Fritz

Snickel Fritz This member likes turtles.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    West Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD ORP - Silver
    FN Konig Six Shooters+Cooper AT3 4S 255/75/17 Artec Full Aluminum Skidplates Kenwood DNX996XR RAV4 heated blind spot mirrors OEM Blackout Edition LED fogs Buncha sheepskin stuff Not installed... yet: Artec Sliders Hefty Fab Hybrid front bumper Thinkware U1000 DC (benched) Renogy DCC50S (benched)
    I've used several squeeze-clamp type mounts with a wire for charging before, then I went with a wireless charging version that was okay, but was bulky and awkward.
    I got the Magic Mount kit from Pro-Clip, and frankly it sucked with my Note 10+. Regardless of which case I used, the magnet simply wouldn't hold the phone unless I put the metal tabs on the center of the case... which then blocks wireless charging.
    After a couple weeks of disappointment I decided to buy one last case (I've got a pile of them that all sucked) and some new cheapo metal tabs from Amazon.
    I very carefully tested out the charging position before placing the new tabs, and now it works pretty well!
    Unless you want the Pro-Clip type of mounts for the charger, I would recommend buying the Scosche separately wherever it is cheapest and then getting the cheap little metal plate stickers. I paid quite a bit more than I should have for the added bonus of a little plastic piece that I don't need after all.
    The charger does hold the phone well now, and charges quickly unless the sun overheats it :frustrated:

edit: Old cases were Spigen Slim Armor, Otterbox Defender, Venito leather and a Burkley leather.
    None completely blocked charging, but reduced it to a pinpoint and didn't play well with the stickers.

New case is an Otterbox Commuter, which is one step down from the Defender. It works perfectly, is comfortable in the hand and the stickers adhered nicely after alcohol prep and few minutes to set.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
    nimby likes this.
To Top