1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best OR tires without a lift? 4runner newby

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by DreamsComeTrue, Aug 24, 2020.

1. Aug 24, 2020 at 11:50 PM
    DreamsComeTrue

DreamsComeTrue [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Venture
    Hello everyone! Just picked up a new 4runner venture this week and after taking it off-road quickly realized that I need some tires with a better grip. Which are the best off-road tires and dimensions that would not rub?

Sorry If it was asked before, I tried searching but didn't find an answer.
    Thanks!

2. Aug 25, 2020 at 4:37 AM
    MountainMan

MountainMan New Member

Member:
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner MountainMan Edition
    Judging by your surroundings, I would recommend the Falken Wildpeak AT3 or Toyo Open Country AT3 in P265/70R17. Both are more aggressive and perform well in soft dirt/sand without being annoying on road.

3. Aug 25, 2020 at 5:15 AM
    Ironguy

Ironguy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    Bisbee AZ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black 4Runner Venture 1967 FJ40 Land Cruiser
    New pine scent hanger, new sun shade
    Welcome from Arizona. I have the same model but added Falken Wildpeak AT 3 in stock size to stay in factory spec.

4. Aug 25, 2020 at 6:13 AM
    DreamsComeTrue

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Venture
    Thanks guys!

5. Aug 25, 2020 at 6:31 AM
    Blue 4ever Runner

Blue 4ever Runner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    2019 Blue 4Runner
    Blacked out badges, window deflectors, smoked 3rd brake light. I have a Borla muffler on order as well as some color matched engine cover stickers. I'll be painting the stock wheels soon as well. Falken tires in the fall as well.
    Welcome. Here's another recommendation for Falken Wildpeaks. You can go up a size from stock with no rubbing issues or at most a small trimming of the very bottom of the front bumper which is easily done.

21Venture and DreamsComeTrue[OP] like this.
  6. Aug 25, 2020 at 6:40 AM
    Idbrn4u

Idbrn4u New Member

Member:
    I went with stock 265-70-17 Falkens’ on my 2020 Venture and love them.
    Have a small Bilstein 5100 1.75” leveling in the front and have a slight rub (when turning in reverse) only
    Not enough to bother me at all. Congrats

DreamsComeTrue[OP] likes this.
  7. Aug 25, 2020 at 7:22 AM
    DRobs

DRobs New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Missouri Ozarks
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR - MGM
    Pinstripes, lots of em. Plus a couple dents.
    1st thing I did last year, after driving my 19 off the dealer lot, was to take it over to Discount Tire and having 265/70R17 SL Falken Wildpeak AT3W tires put on it.

Idbrn4u and DreamsComeTrue[OP] like this.
  8. Aug 25, 2020 at 7:57 AM
    Bdwsrjoe

Bdwsrjoe New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner TRD ORP
    3in ReadyLift, Toyo AT3, Method 701
    Toyo AT3. Take it over to discount and they will give you credit for your stock tires.

DreamsComeTrue[OP], A&P and DRobs like this.
  9. Aug 25, 2020 at 8:24 AM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    I did this exact process with my stock tires @ DT, except I bought Falken Wildpeaks. Got a good trade in amount for the stock tires.

10. Aug 25, 2020 at 10:07 AM
    travelinscout

travelinscout New Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD ORP MGM
    Welcome! I just ordered the Toyo AT3 yesterday, and I hope to have them on tomorrow. DT had told me a month ago, that they would give me a trade in on the Bridgestone Duelers, but now are no longer offering any trade credit. Bummer for me. I guess a FB Marketplace or CL ad is in my future. They had only offered 30 per tire anyway. On a positive note, I got them to match an awesome price from WM. I cant wait to try them out!

DRobs and DreamsComeTrue[OP] like this.
  11. Aug 25, 2020 at 10:18 AM
    wmdtech

wmdtech Send MOD Money!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Mid TN
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD ORP
    275/70r17 KO2 Eibach Stage 1 JBA UCAs
    I ran 275/70 KO2 for around 6 months before lifting. Only a little bit of rubbing on the front fender liner which is a 5 minutes fix. To be honest, the KO2 in this size is heavy as its an E load range tire. But, for the rocks and what not that I find myself on I like having the thicker/heavier tire compound.

A&P, bcolex, DRobs and 1 other person like this.
  12. Aug 25, 2020 at 7:34 PM
    Bdwsrjoe

Bdwsrjoe New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner TRD ORP
    3in ReadyLift, Toyo AT3, Method 701
    You wont believe home much they gave me for my Duelers....$$$$$

13. Aug 26, 2020 at 10:13 AM
    travelinscout

travelinscout New Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD ORP MGM
    Tire update. I just came from DT, and I was told that they could either price match the tires from WM, or take mine in trade, but not both. I'm not that worried about it, as I am sure I could get a few $$$ for the old ones on CL or FB. On the way home the tires feel great, no shimmy or vibration at all, and now my TPMS is accurate again! I had read a lot of posts about wheels getting damaged, and that it's a good idea to take picture of them before the install. I have to say, that saved my bacon today! I went to the same DT that I have used for over 15 years, and since I had some time, I snapped a pic of each rim before they took it back. I am 100% that guy that watches them every single time they touch my truck. I watched the balancing process, and then checked the wheels as they were being installed back on the truck. It looks like they caught the edge, scratched it, and caused the paint to come up a bit. Since I had the pics, there was no discussion. There was only an apology, and a DT claim number and an adjuster. I have attached a before and after pic of the wheel, and it is pretty obvious what happened. I let them know I didn't think it was on purpose, but that S*&^ happens!wheel damage before pic 8.26.jpg wheel damage 2 8.26.jpg wheel damage 1 8.26.jpg

14. Aug 26, 2020 at 10:34 AM
    photo8

photo8 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off-Road
    BFG TA/AT KO2. LT rated. Best all around tire ever.

bcolex likes this.
  15. Aug 26, 2020 at 11:42 AM
    DreamsComeTrue

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Venture
    Congrats on new tires, but Oh my god.. I swear I hate it when people treat smbdy else’s car like this. Great that you took photos prior!! Hopefully they’ll fix it. New wheel would be good.

Any chance you can take a photo how the truck now look on new tires? Any rubbing when on reverse and fully turned?

16. Aug 26, 2020 at 12:01 PM
    travelinscout

travelinscout New Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD ORP MGM
    Im pretty sure that DT will just replace it, since I don't know of any wheel repair that would be able to fix the TRD rim. The tires are great! Stock size, and the truck feels much more planted than before. So far no rubbing or balance issues. With the stock Duelers, I had the famous 60 mph shake most of the time, and now it is completely gone. I love the way they look! Hopefully Ill get a chance to get them dirty this weekend.new tires 1.jpg new tires 2.jpg new tires 3.jpg

17. Aug 26, 2020 at 12:20 PM
    DreamsComeTrue

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Venture
    Daaanggg they look awesome!!! Congrats! Ill stop by a local DT on Friday and see how much would it cost to put the same!

18. Aug 26, 2020 at 12:24 PM
    travelinscout

travelinscout New Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD ORP MGM
    WM has them now for 154, but I had an email from DT from last month, where they said they would match at 143. DT regular price on these is about 170, so you should be able to save a few $$$. Maybe you'll get lucky and they'll have them in stock. I had to order mine. Make sure to post pics once they are on!

DreamsComeTrue[OP] likes this.
  19. Aug 28, 2020 at 4:35 PM
    travelinscout

travelinscout New Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD ORP MGM
    Update: Discount Tire has somehow decided that they are not responsible for the damage to my wheel. I guess that pictures are not good enough. I was just told that they will not be taking care of the wheel at all.
    Any suggestions??

20. Aug 28, 2020 at 5:19 PM
    Idbrn4u

Idbrn4u New Member

Member:
    This exact incident happened to me, with a small little “no name” start up tire shop in my town
    Except they REALLY created a bad chip in the TRD wheel/rim, in a couple places.

I actually didn’t notice it until a couple days later. I immediately drove back to the shop, and I pointed it out to the employee who did the tire installation and he brought it up to the owner. I baby my rig, and they were the only ones who touched it, and could have caused this damage

The owner immediately tried to blame me and said I brought it in that way on the day of installation. “Uhh , NO” I forced the issue, As, I was mentally prepared for their refusal of this truth and I would not accept their BS.......and they knew it. In front of a crowded group of others waiting for service.....

The employee was Physically struggling with the install as I watched him that day I came it .....For the initial install

Bottom line is this.
    I had some form of compassion as the owner was naturally pissed.
    They had given me a fair price on the new tires, & a decent credit for the Stock Bridgestone’s that we’re still new take offs’

So, my suggestion to them was: Ill order a new TRD wheel from Toyota for $216 and have the tire shop put a brand new “matching“ tire (Falken Wildpeak AT3) as the other new 4 now on the 4R......and swapped it out on the spare.
    I now have the chip’d TRD Wheel & new matching Wildpeak AT3 as a spare.
    That’s how I handled it.
    Don’t forget to have the TPWS swapped lol.....or you’ll be taking another trip back

unfortunately soooo many people are trying to screw company’s that it honestly ruins for legit issues.....and they are quick to refute your issue. People who are in business’s deal with this CONSTANTLY. So, good luck
    And just try to reason with them and see it from both sides if you can

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    A&P and mrmike7189 like this.
  21. Aug 28, 2020 at 5:28 PM
    Firefly21

Firefly21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Duane Frazier
    Vehicle:
    18 off road premium trd
    Hid lows 3500 drl / high Led interior Led reverse Led oem fogs Sequential blinker Trd intake Unifilter pump mod Apex recover points BF Goodrich KO2 (matching trd spare) Kicker front tweeters Tvd overlays S2 yellow wide fogs Apex black sequential rear tails Cartrim home blue convex mirriors
    are you going to do a 5 tire rotation?

22. Aug 28, 2020 at 5:34 PM
    Idbrn4u

Idbrn4u New Member

Member:
    Actually probably not as I’ll just keep the “chipped” TRD tucked away in the spare position
    But ya know.......that’s not a bad idea! But that either means putting a new tire sensor in the spare or swapping it out each time (PITA)

23. Aug 28, 2020 at 6:02 PM
    travelinscout

travelinscout New Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD ORP MGM
    I just spoke to the store manager, and he tried to give me the same speech about touchless equipment etc. I told him when the tech used the various pry bars, that is not touchless. Can someone please look at these pictures and give me an honest assessment? Did they damage it, or is is possibly a Toyota finish warranty issue?
    Thanks!wheel damage 1 8.26.jpg wheel damage 2 8.26.jpg

24. Aug 28, 2020 at 7:05 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    Just my opinion, and probably won't be popular, but I'd let it go. It was fair to try to get them to make it right somehow, but this is a small imperfection in a truck designed to take a lot of abuse. Surely, the wheels and other parts of the truck are going to get dinged and scratched multiple times during normal use. So this will be just one minor battle scar among many. Fighting over it doesn't seem worth the high blood pressure.

Just my 2 cents.

A&P, LITOY4Runner and Idbrn4u like this.
  25. Aug 28, 2020 at 9:22 PM
    Idbrn4u

Idbrn4u New Member

Member:
    I’m thinkn’ that as well. I know these things suck, but the bigger picture is it’s not worth the battle.
    Poop happens. And let’s all learn from each other’s journey

A&P and LITOY4Runner like this.
  26. Aug 28, 2020 at 10:30 PM
    DreamsComeTrue

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Venture
    They 100% damaged it. I had brand new 5k wheels damaged like that on my LX570 the same way, but I dealt with a very reputable shop here "American wheel and tire" and they took care of it right away without questions. Probably repaired but I couldn't find where the scratches were and it was good enough for me.

I would start by posting an extensive review with pictures on their google and yelp pages, also submitting claim through BBB. Depends how far you want to take, if you want to fight for justice then a demand letter from lawyer seems like a logical next step :) or you can just let it go and visit a wheel repair shop and they probably can repair it to almost brand new condition.

7385 and travelinscout like this.
  27. Aug 29, 2020 at 1:00 PM
    travelinscout

travelinscout New Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD ORP MGM
    They have offered to have a wheel repair guy look at it at their expense. Well see what he says. I didn't think anyone was able to match the matte finish on these, but I may be wrong.

28. Aug 29, 2020 at 1:19 PM
    DreamsComeTrue

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Venture
    That’s great! If it’s not gonna work out you can always order gun metal TRd wheels and have you other tires for road rmteips on them, and have these for off road. It’s not that hard to swap wheel if you have space

Singleminded likes this.
  29. Sep 1, 2020 at 12:48 PM
    travelinscout

travelinscout New Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD ORP MGM
    UPDATE! So after DT sent the wheel repair guy to look at my rim, they have now come to their senses, and will be sending me a check for a replacement. No fault was acknowledged, and they said that it is a gesture of good faith, based on a manufacturer defect in the wheel. The reason is not that important, I am just grateful that we reached a positive resolution, because I have always had a great experience at this DT store. I plan to use them for years to come. On a positive note, I will now have a 5th TRD wheel to use as my spare. :dancingbroccoli:

21Venture, A&P, jvinhj240 and 3 others like this.
  30. Sep 1, 2020 at 1:02 PM
    DreamsComeTrue

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Venture
    That’s awesome, congrats! :cheers:

travelinscout and Singleminded like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top