1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

battery relocate

Discussion in '1st Gen 4Runners (1984-1989)' started by jiggie, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Dec 18, 2014 at 8:02 PM
    jiggie

jiggie [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    86 red 4runner
    Has anyone done a battery relocate in their 1st gen? I'm thinking about doing a dual battery set up in the back or leaving a battery up front and adding one in the rear. Ideas input or reasons why this idea might be dumb lol

2. Dec 19, 2014 at 11:22 AM
    Utah

Utah Misanthrope

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Land of Fake Beer
    Vehicle:
    The Gray Bastard
    3RZ, OME, 5.29s, 4.7, locked/locked
    Yup. Pulled the airbox when I put the 3RZ in, my second battery goes there now.

20141219_115235_zpsjkf4gpe5_b1fd2067f0eb3cf982692d841f46d6b5202bc4fd.jpg

A second battery isn't dumb, assuming you take the time to do it right. The question is whether having the second battery is worth the time and effort to install. In my case I don't need it at all, but I had the hole in the engine bay anyway, had the second battery on the shelf and used a cheapy solenoid and some old welding cable to hook it all up, so it didn't cost me much.

3. Dec 20, 2014 at 6:12 AM
    jiggie

jiggie [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    86 red 4runner
    Do you have a write up on how you did yours? That's a good looking setup you have there!!

4. Dec 20, 2014 at 8:20 AM
    Utah

Utah Misanthrope

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Land of Fake Beer
    Vehicle:
    The Gray Bastard
    3RZ, OME, 5.29s, 4.7, locked/locked
    No, no writeup. I put a 200a solenoid on the drivers fender, ran 4ga from the original battery to the solenoid and another one from the solenoid to the second battery. I also have a powered 14ga wire from the second battery to the trigger post on the solenoid, and another 12ga to a switch in the cab, and then to ground.

With this setup, when I flip the switch the batteries are tied together - they charge together and they discharge together. Flip the switch again and the second battery is cut from the system and can't be drawn down. There's more sophisticated setups out there for sure, but this was quick and easy, and gives me the ability to jumpstart myself if the primary battery goes down, and that's all I need from it.

5. Dec 21, 2014 at 9:09 AM
    jiggie

jiggie [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    86 red 4runner
    That's kinda what I was thinking about too. Being able to jump start my self and knowing I have that extra battery should the. Need arise. I just figured having the batterys in the back would free up engine compartment space and I would have one less thing to worry about damaging on the trail. I like the idea of having a switch to turn one on and off as needed.

To Top