1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

bad vibrations at 55 mph

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by CoolCar4R, Jun 17, 2021.

1. Jun 17, 2021 at 10:26 AM
    CoolCar4R

CoolCar4R [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 OffRoad
    none
    5 days into owning 2019 Off-road I really like it!!!
    bad vibrations attributed to tires, balance, etc
    wondering if anyone has solved it by having drive-train aligned or u-joints worked on
    so many other 4R's with the same problem, and I sense people are going in circles having tires balanced and tires balanced and tires balanced!!!!!

2. Jun 17, 2021 at 11:04 AM
    Slopemaster

Slopemaster Slope Survivalist

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    265-70-17 Ridge Grapplers, TRD Pro rims, 3M precut bra, N-Fab nerf/steps
    Congrats on the new Toy.

Personally I've had zero problems with my tires regarding balance. From all the threads I've read, it seems to be just the luck of the draw. Contributing factors appear to be the tire brand, possibly after market rims? and who does the balance.

As far as drive train, I doubt that's your issue with such a new car. Plus the main drive shaft to the rear diff is one shaft unlike the extended cab Tacoma which utilizes a center carrier bearing and a two piece drive shaft.

I know from experience with my 97' Tacoma that if the carrier bearing is mis-aligned it will cause issues.

Singleminded likes this.
  3. Jun 17, 2021 at 12:01 PM
    CoolCar4R

CoolCar4R [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 OffRoad
    none
    since it's a CPO purchase from dealer, I'll be interested to see if the service dept actually tries to solve it when I take it in in a few days -

because there are so many forums with so many postings about vibration at 55-60 mph I'm hoping to be better informed when I show up to have it evaluated so I can avoid a shoulder shrug and instead get a solution - maybe I'll hit the jackpot and it WILL be out of balance and nothing more complicated -

and I also wonder if the CPO 160-point check list included the dealer driving it, and how it was missed, because you can't miss these vibes

Singleminded likes this.
  4. Jun 17, 2021 at 10:25 PM
    Slopemaster

Slopemaster Slope Survivalist

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    265-70-17 Ridge Grapplers, TRD Pro rims, 3M precut bra, N-Fab nerf/steps
    It should still be under warranty. If you're dealership installed the tires and wheels, they can correct the problem.

5. Jun 18, 2021 at 5:16 AM
    canadian.bacon

canadian.bacon H9 halogen is the best led bulb

Member:
    Snowland
    Vehicle:
    ‘22 Tesla Model Y

:)

7385 and Thatbassguy like this.
  6. Jun 18, 2021 at 5:31 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    These 4Runners seem to be sensitive to out of balance tires. I did experience a 55-60 MPG wobble with the original tires. I haven't had any issues since then, except when I've had a gob of mud or snow stuck in a wheel, or lost balancing weights somehow.

I have also found that some tire techs just can't seem to balance heavier tires properly. A chain rebalanced mine once and they wobbled. I had my off-road shop rebalance them a week later and no more wobble.

7. Jun 18, 2021 at 11:24 AM
    VentureTRD

VentureTRD New Member

Member:
    Blowing Rock, North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Venture Nautical Blue Metallic
    Goodyear DuraTrac Tires P265/70R17 AEM Air Filter TRD Radiator Cap TRD Pro Leather Shift Knob TRD Pro Rubber Floor Mats Agency 6 Recovery Shackle Lamin-x Amber Fog Light Covers Red LED Interior Lights LasFit LED Turn Signals
    I had this 55-60mph wobble with my 2013 FJ Cruiser TT Edition because the Heavy BFG Tires it came with were E rated tires and they probably should have been C or D Rated for the weight of the FJ, plus they wanted to put a minimum of 46 PSI in them, because they were E-Rated. Switching to a C Rated Tire at 38 PSI fixed the problem. Toyota explained the dampening spring in the FJ steering was not strong enough.

Products Discussed in

To Top