1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Awning Recommendations

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by BeavertonCommuter, Oct 1, 2021.

1. Oct 11, 2021 at 8:11 AM
    Big B

Big B Out Exploring

Member:
    Reno/Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRDOR
    KINGS! w/ adjust Method Race Wheels, Good Year Ultra-terrains 285/70/r17, GOBI Rack, Baja-Designs/Cali-Raised LED Lights, SSO stealth front bumper, RSG Sliders, FACTOR 55 ultrahook Smitty Bilt x20 winch (syn.), TYT TH9800, X Bull Recovery Boards
    I have the quick release brackets and I love em., on/off in less than a min., they've also been extemely durable. I also the full room enclosure(tent) and its awesome as well, but I don't find myself using it all that often due to the fact that were usually moving camps every night on our trips.

2. Oct 11, 2021 at 9:20 PM
    BeavertonCommuter

BeavertonCommuter [OP] New Member

Member:
    I bought a wall and the quick release mounts...both with 25% off with current Ironman promo.

Big B likes this.
  3. Oct 21, 2021 at 5:14 PM
    BeavertonCommuter

BeavertonCommuter [OP] New Member

Member:
    Okay, so problem installing my new Ironman 4x4 8'x8' awning.

Currently I have 2x Thule Aeroblades (ARB53) attached to the stock rails. The Ironman awning comes with m6 x 20mm hex head bolts to attach to whatever the customer is attaching it to. My problem is that the hex head is too small for the channel on the top of the Aeroblade bar. Went to a local Ace but could not find any bolts with a head that was wide enough to fit without the head being too tall to fit in the channel.

Called Ironman and they had 1 solution - use a pipe collar to wrap around the l-bracket and the Aeroblade. This doesnt seem very safe to me, so Ive set that aside as an effective solution. All this despite contacting them prior to the order and being advised by them that their awning hardware would fit the bars I have.

Not read to give up, though.

The GZila mounts won't work because the Thule cross bars extend to the outside of the stock rails and will block the awning from being mounted flush to the stock rails.

Home Depot carries, though not in store, t-bolts that will fit the Thule crossbar channel. I'd wait, but it's a month to get them. Haven't identified an alternative local vendor that may carry these.

Then I found this kit at Amazon that I tink should do the trick since its a square head and the nut on top has a hex top to use an allen wrench to tighten. May need a washer or two take up any excess space.

Any other ideas that may work here?

4. Jul 3, 2023 at 6:39 AM
    Hungryhawk

Hungryhawk New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Southern CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    I made my own and it completely removes for daily driver.
    1 lathe(like solid bamboo) wood pole, a section of PVC pipe, a reflective 6'x9' tarp,2 hose clamps, 2 adjustable aluminum poles, misc. tent stakes, misc line, 2 custom wood brackets to fit factory rails. Light weight and fast to set up.IMG_8249.jpg IMG_8247.jpg IMG_8246.jpg IMG_8274.jpg IMG_8249.jpg IMG_8247.jpg IMG_8246.jpg IMG_8274.jpg
    If anyone wishes more detail please let me know.
    Hungryhawk

Products Discussed in

To Top