1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Auxiliary fuse box install (skygear box) - Pictures!

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by ramonortiz55, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Jun 7, 2015 at 10:17 PM
    ramonortiz55

ramonortiz55 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramon
    Vehicle:
    2001 4runner limited silver millenium
    I have planned a bunch of goodies for my 4runner. So I decided to jump on board and get a separate fuse box to wire all my accessories to. Therefore I bought @skygear relay/fusebox on tacomaworld and a @Yotamac panel to house the fuse box.

[​IMG]

Everyone and their momma tends to slap the auxiliary fuse boxes on the driver's side of the engine compartment for the tacomas. Well...no can do for the 2001 4runner. Too much junk.

[​IMG]

Driver's side looks clear!

[​IMG]

Upon laying out the @Yotamac panel, I realized some stuff HAD to move. This secondary fuse box and that wire harness/plug device thingamachiger right next to it (I don't know what it is).

[​IMG]

I unbolted both of them:

[​IMG]

I move the fuse box towards the front, luckily I had enough wiring to allow me to move it to an existing threaded hole that was the exact measurement as the previous location (you can see the outline of its original location on the second hole to the right).

[​IMG]

Looks like I will have to drill a hole for the fuse box leg.

[​IMG]

Picked up some bolts, washers and nuts:

[​IMG]

Marked and drilled a hole to set the fuse box leg:

[​IMG]

You can see the nut and bottom of bolt from the fender side:

[​IMG]

I did the same for the thingamachiger, just making sure it is away from the proposed location of my auxiliary fuse box:

[​IMG]

This windshield wiper hose needs to move. I removed it from here and plan to run it under the new auxiliary fuse box:

[​IMG]

That brass looking bracket needs to move also. See the grommet at the corner? That's where the wiring is going to penetrate to get into the cab.

[​IMG]

I relocated the bracket and its wiring to this location, not too far from its original spot. Yes, I know, the bracket is on its side :)

[​IMG]

After I relocated everything I used the available threaded holes to do a hole layout on the @Yotamac plate:

[​IMG]

Drill and set the @skygear box:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tada!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wired my ground:

[​IMG]

At this time, I did not wire to the battery since I do not have any switches or accessories.

So now to run the wiring into the cabin.

I taped a straightened out hanger to the end of the wiring to poke through the grommet and help me guide the wiring into the cabin

[​IMG]

Removed the plastic bottom door trim and side kick panel on the passenger side:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Removed glove compartment (picture from one of my other mods) by pressing in on the sides:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jun 7, 2015 at 10:17 PM
    ramonortiz55

ramonortiz55 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramon
    Vehicle:
    2001 4runner limited silver millenium
    I then remove the top trim of the glove compartment by removing three bolts, one on each side, and one in the center (not shown):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then poke the wire through the engine compartment grommet and locate it near the bottom kick panel area:

[​IMG]

I pull the wiring through (don't ask about the glove compartment):

[​IMG]

The tricky part now is to fish the wiring back neatly towards the radio/switch panel area. I did this by slowly feeding the wiring back up towards the airbag housing.

On the right of the glove compartment, there is this hole:

[​IMG]

I stuffed my hand to receive the end of the wire and pull it towards the airbag housing.

[​IMG]

Feeding the wire behind the airbag housing/module:

[​IMG]

I removed the radio (see my other mods on instructions to remove radio) and fed the wiring thru:

[​IMG]

Finally!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time to solder the switchbacks! Good thing @skygear color coded all the wires for easy fool proof connections.

[​IMG]

A few soldered connections later...

[​IMG]

And now I feed the wiring back to the radio location:

[​IMG]

Reinstall radio, kick panels, trim, yada yada, etc

For those that don't know what I am doing, I provided the wiring for future switched accessories.

The newly installed switchbacks are housed behind the switch blanks, ready to install new switches :D

[​IMG]

W3LCH and Bob like this.
  3. Jun 8, 2015 at 7:10 AM
    likdtaco

likdtaco Governed & Empowered by GOD

Member:
    First Name:
    D
    AJ - Az
    Vehicle:
    1999 White Limited Edition 4Runner
    I don't like you and I don't like the guys that know how to weld.
    Electrical scares me!
    LOL
    J/K bout you.
    Looks like a challenging project.

Products Discussed in

To Top