1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Armor/Upgrades websites

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by LM-95, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Oct 10, 2018 at 7:01 PM
    LM-95

LM-95 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD ORP 4Runner
    Hey guys, new to the 4Runner game and needless to say I need some pointers trying to traverse the interwebs in search of decent Overland gear! Any suggestions??

2. Oct 10, 2018 at 11:15 PM
    mynameistory

mynameistory New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tory
    Vehicle:
    The same 4Runner everyone has
    Yes, take your truck on some fireroads and have fun. Upgrade when you break stuff or find your limitations. Don't spend money on stuff you don't need.

3. Oct 11, 2018 at 11:00 AM
    LM-95

LM-95 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD ORP 4Runner
    TRD Off Road Premium, pretty new to the game. Consider me to have the greenest of horns.

While this will be my to-from work vehicle and all around grocery getter. I plan on everything from overlanding Colorado to Big Bend National in Texas where I reside.

4. Oct 11, 2018 at 11:28 AM
    brownbear

brownbear Relax

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    OB Fl
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD OFF ROAD
    NFab side steps TRD matte blk wheels K&N airfilter, go rhino rear hitch step,
    Welcome from FL.

LM-95[OP] likes this.
  5. Oct 11, 2018 at 2:13 PM
    gdvan01

gdvan01 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Midlothian, VA
    Vehicle:
    '17 EssAre5Pee - Barcelona Red
    Bilstein 5100's (fr-0) ~ Dobinson C59-302 front (2.5"), C59-505 rear (1.5") ~ JBA UCA's Cooper Discoverer A/T3's - LT265/70R17

This.

6. Oct 21, 2018 at 9:27 PM
    WallyT4R

WallyT4R New Member

Member:
    Here is some insight to my thought process on my build so far if any one cares....The 4 is extremely capable in stock form and extremely reliable in stock form so my mods so far attempt to build on those positives. Never planned on rock crawling and this is a do it all vehicle for me, mainly camping/overlanding type stuff, trails, towing dirt bikes, mall runs, etc.. and so I am not going to change the suspension until it's necessary to do so, to carry more weight, etc. Reliability while balancing capability is key for me. Also I need to maintain a budget cuz I hate debt.

So the first mod was stock size BFG KO2's which are light years ahead of stock and went a long way in increasing capability. RCI aluminum skids for increased protection (remember, stock height) and to keep the weight down compared to steel. An C4FAB sliders to protect from shopping carts at the mall :). So far these mods have exceeded my expectations and so has the 4.

My next mods will most likely be a SSO aluminum roof rack and a Maggiolina Airlander RTT followed by a dual battery system and a fridge. I'm saving. It takes time. I am expecting to need at least air bags for the back after those mods but may need suspension, won't know until those mods, but will try the air bags first.

I am not anti suspension lift it's just I like the stock size tires for economy reasons. A lift always seems to be followed by bigger tires and when that happens will have to regear because I am not losing any power from using the stock gearing with big tires. All that adds up fast and opens pandoras box...must resist.:curls:.

So if I do get suspension it would have to be about a 1-2" lift at the most to be able to keep the stock size tires or maybe one size larger tire. Finding a 1-2" lift with the needed weight capacity ratings for these and future mods is proving to be difficult. Is the 4 perfect, no, no vehicle is, but this thing has been great so far. An it's a rare bird in the auto world these days.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    7385 and ruiz4251 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top