1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Are TRD Pros "limited production"?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by sportcoupe, Jan 1, 2023.

1. Jan 1, 2023 at 1:54 PM
    sportcoupe

sportcoupe [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Pro Solar Octane
    New member to Toyota and this group. I completed my introduction in the other section :)

Shopping for a new TRD Pro and they are few and far between. Are these models "limited production"? The occasional TRD Pro on dealer lots have a $10k ADM added. This sounds familiar to other manufactures. Dang. Cars are everywhere, it's the off-road vehicles that are not available without markups.

So much research and I found a MSRP dealer near me and gave them a deposit. I asked how long will I need to wait. Dealer stated 6-12 months.

Are they being very conservative? I never "ordered" a new Toyota before. I was told I cannot "order" a TRD Pro. I can only place a deposit and wait for next allocation.

2. Jan 1, 2023 at 2:04 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    As far as I've seen you can never configure any trim. You have to pick from the inventory of vehicles that each dealership place. Or you can wait for a one if they place in a future inventory. TRD Pro are relatively less in quantity as most people like SR5 and TRD Offroad premium and use the money for upgrades of their choice. As far as I see on the USA port pics TRD Pro comes looking like a base TRD Offroad and parts are installed in the USA. I do like the JBL sound that comes with TRD Pro but value of other parts like suspension, wheels, tires, roof rack are questionable to me.

Ironguy and Thatbassguy like this.
  3. Jan 1, 2023 at 2:46 PM
    sportcoupe

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    If I choose a TRD Pro in dealers inventory (on the lot), they have a $10k market adjustment which I do not intend on paying. Dealer stated they will take a deposit and then wait for one coming from Japan with options I select, then sell to me at MSRP. Of course I have to wait going that route.

My opinion, buying a lesser model and investing money to upgrade is the worst thing I could do. Example, I buy a SR5 and dump $20k into it. It is still just a SR5 when I go to sell it. I would rather just get everything upgraded from factory and leave it as-is. Worth more that way. I only keep cars 2-3 years.

4. Jan 1, 2023 at 2:55 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    Then TRD Pro should suite you well. States like CO have lot of 4runner TRD Pro inventory and this is what I sent to my buddy on 12/23/2022;

According to site 5 on the lot and 1 in transit

https://www.stevinsontoyotaeast.com...cation=Stevinson+Toyota+East&sortBy=price asc

According to site 2 on the lot and 6 in transit

https://www.autonationtoyotaarapaho...dex.htm?model=4Runner&trim=TRD Pro&status=1-1

According to site 1 on the lot and 4 in transit

https://www.mountainstatestoyota.com/new-toyota/denver.htm?model=4Runner&trim=TRD Pro

kolter45 likes this.
  5. Jan 1, 2023 at 3:10 PM
    sportcoupe

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    Yes there are TRD Pro's out there on dealers lots. When you call and inquire, ask what the markup is. :)

6. Jan 1, 2023 at 3:12 PM
    bigshmoop

bigshmoop New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Schaumburg, IL
    Vehicle:
    '23 Lime Rush ORP
    LT255/80R17 ATW3's, Westcott Designs DOM/TIG sliders, low profile roof rack, ladder, preload collar lift, Baja Designs 40" S8 lightbar
    When people compare getting a lower trim to the Pro they usually mean the TRD Off Road Premium. Reason being that the drivetrain and off road features on both model are identical. They both have rear locker, crawl control, multi-terrain-select, manual 4WD lever. The Pro has Fox Suspension, Black TRD Pro wheels, Toyota heritage grille, TRD skid plate, TRD Exhaust, JBL sound speakers, Dual Climate control and tubular roof rack.

One feature the Off Road model does offer that you can't get on the Pro and often overlooked is the KDSS suspension. Depending on intended usage this could be a big deal.

7. Jan 1, 2023 at 3:33 PM
    sportcoupe

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    I have evaluated TRD offroad premium vs TRD Pro differences in the order guide. I wouldn't want to spend $50k on an Off-road Premium and add $10k to it because in the end, it is still an Off-road Premium. Not interested in KDSS systems either.

I can get a base TRD Pro for $54,020. To build a TRD Off-road Premium as close to the Pro is $49,987. It is impossible to match feature for feature from the factory on the Premium that the Pro has.

Still, none of this is any indication that the Pro is "limited production" and the extreme dealer ADM's on the Pro's and not on lower trims.

I was told by one dealer that the Pro is very limited in the Southeast Toyota region of about 200 stores. Out of 40,000 vehicles in transit, there are only 80 TRD pro's and those 80 units are more than 90% reserved.

chewbacasthong likes this.
  8. Jan 1, 2023 at 3:46 PM
    Lockdown

Lockdown New Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP Lunar Rock
    I was told about 12-16 months for my ORP in Lunar Rock after putting a deposit down.
    I went to the next dealership and picked one up for $3K markup. I wasn't going to wait. (Kill me)

If you're going to keep a car for only 2-3 years. Why do you need a TRD Pro?
    You can get ORP without KDSS.

You wouldn't need $10K of accessories to bring an ORP to the level of a TRD Pro. You just need suspension upgrades which would be like $3K.

I don't think you should consider the "base TRD Pro" is $54K. It's non existent unless you put your deposit in last summer. The "cost" of TRD Pro is more like $65K, unfortunately.
    So now compare that $65K to a $49K ORP.

It's not that TRD Pros are in "limited" production, there's just less people that buy them compared to SR5. Therefore Toyota makes less of them. And the ones that they make, people already have deposits on them from Feb '22

bigshmoop likes this.
  9. Jan 1, 2023 at 4:19 PM
    sportcoupe

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    Resale value.

You need to price suspension kits that are at the Pro level. Double your $3k. No matter, not going to dump money into a new vehicle that I'll never get back out of it.

I don't even think you can build and price a Pro to $65k unless you choose every dealer add-on. Maybe you are adding dealer ADM?

10. Jan 1, 2023 at 4:20 PM
    sportcoupe

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    Why doesn't Toyota accept customer specific orders like any other manufacture?

11. Jan 1, 2023 at 4:26 PM
    Saker

Saker New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 Black T4RORP
    Seems like you want to buy a TRD Pro for an investment purpose only, not an end user scenario.
    Meaning, purchasing a TRDORP and putting the suspension on it you desire to meet your needs would be end user scenario.
    If you think the TRDP will command more money in 2-3 years, well maybe, but the number of buyers will be lower than other models.
    There is no such thing as a base model TRDP......... there is only 1, other than color choice. I never consider running boards, cargo deck and other do dads as different models, because they aren't.

I disagree with Lockdown on them and the limited production. They are Limited Production, they will only build so many, period.

If you can get one at MSRP, then order it.....
    If not, you gotta pay to play.
    Personally, I would never pay more than MSRP, I always paid less!

BitterUte and LuLu like this.
  12. Jan 1, 2023 at 4:42 PM
    sportcoupe

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    I have more reasons. Many more. I travel a lot (cross country road trips) and explore places off pavement. I want to go fast over washboard roads for hours. TRDORP suspension isn't gonna cut it. :)

Besides, I always buy the top trim model.

13. Jan 1, 2023 at 4:46 PM
    Lockdown

Lockdown New Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP Lunar Rock
    Correct. The "cost" of a TRD Pro is really $65K+ since it's pretty rare to find one at MSRP nowadays.

MSRP is a different story.

Toyota isn't take "orders" because they don't need to. There's a 12-16 month backlog of buyers waiting to purchase 4runners. Why take orders when you can spit whatever you want out of the factory and get it sold?

It doesn't look like you have many options here my friend. Hunt down a few dealerships, put a few deposits at a place and hope you lucky number gets called.

14. Jan 1, 2023 at 5:22 PM
    Saker

Saker New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 Black T4RORP
    Oh, Ok.

you want to go over washboards “for hours”

good luck with with the fox suspension/coilovers/shocks that come on the TRDP!

:ohsnap:

K-Paul, DRH, Trail Runnah and 4 others like this.
  15. Jan 1, 2023 at 5:26 PM
    nova

nova New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Soon Arizona
    Vehicle:
    slightly modified LE
    Except for rare inefficient markets, there is no “return” on a 4Runner. It’s a consumable, not an investment. So buy whatever you like and drive it into the dirt! That’s how I roll, you may roll differently :cheers:

Trail Runnah and Thatbassguy like this.
  16. Jan 1, 2023 at 5:26 PM
    Saker

Saker New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 Black T4RORP
    Find one somewhere in the country, talk to an internet sales person, negotiate the price and fly to wherever and make the purchase. It’s that easy!

:facepalm:

17. Jan 1, 2023 at 5:36 PM
    bigshmoop

bigshmoop New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Schaumburg, IL
    Vehicle:
    '23 Lime Rush ORP
    LT255/80R17 ATW3's, Westcott Designs DOM/TIG sliders, low profile roof rack, ladder, preload collar lift, Baja Designs 40" S8 lightbar
    I think your valuation of the Fox suspension is a bit high. It can easily be met or bested for under $3,000. It’s a nice setup but there’s a reason you see them for sale in the market place often from people looking for something better.

Besides a highly sought-after color (think Voodoo Blue) there's nothing on the Pro that makes inherently more value than any other 4Runner. If you want one, great. Buy it. If you're chasing exclusivity maybe you should look at the Anniversary Edition this year as there's only a fixed number of them being produced and only this model year.

2Toys, 7385, Thatbassguy and 2 others like this.
  18. Jan 1, 2023 at 5:42 PM
    jharkin

jharkin New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Boston suburbs
    Vehicle:
    2023 Black Pro
    Custom ordering is not something”every other” manufacturer orders. Honda, for example, is even more restrictive then Toyota, mostly a couple fixed trims and no option packages and you can only pick from a dealers allocation.

it’s mostly the German luxury makes that let you special order from the buffet and go pickup at the factory.

BTW if dealers are asking 10k over and 12 months, keep shopping. The first few I talked to said the same, even for ORPs. I stumbled on a Pro that somebody had bailed on just before delivery and got it for only a couple % over. The market continues to soften so deals may be out there.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
    Thatbassguy likes this.
  19. Jan 1, 2023 at 5:44 PM
    Accelerator

Accelerator New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Satellite Beach, Fla
    Vehicle:
    2022 SR5 Super White 4Runner #3
    ^^^This right here. For $3k, most, if not all of the reputable suspension makers will provide a package superior to the TRD Pro Fox setup. For under $3k you could put Dobinsons MRA’s on the truck and never look back. A little above that will get you into so many higher end options it’ll make your head spin.

K-Paul, Trail Runnah, 2Toys and 3 others like this.
  20. Jan 1, 2023 at 6:09 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    True, this is what I got. TRD Pro Fox are no where good as these. TRD Pro Fox are very basic level shocks compared to these.
    Screenshot_20230101-185817_Messenger.jpg Screenshot_20230101_190112.jpg

21. Jan 1, 2023 at 7:49 PM
    kolter45

kolter45 Inferno Pro & 4.0 Tacoma

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    Inferno Pro & BRM Sport
    Gharddog03 likes this.
  22. Jan 1, 2023 at 8:18 PM
    Slopemaster

Slopemaster Slope Survivalist

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    265-70-17 Ridge Grapplers, TRD Pro rims, 3M precut bra, N-Fab nerf/steps
    I don’t think the OP is interested in aftermarket mods, and frankly IMHO, if the intent is to sell it in 2-3 years, he would be much better off leaving it bone stock as far as retaining value.

Personally, I would shy away from a used vehicle with aftermarket mod’s.

23. Jan 1, 2023 at 8:21 PM
    Slopemaster

Slopemaster Slope Survivalist

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    265-70-17 Ridge Grapplers, TRD Pro rims, 3M precut bra, N-Fab nerf/steps
    Regarding the Pro Fox suspension, most of the posts I’ve seen, the owners are quite happy with the Pro suspension.

YetiMtnBkr and Gharddog03 like this.
  24. Jan 2, 2023 at 4:45 AM
    sportcoupe

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    You nailed it.

I've had 40+ vehicles in my lifetime, with 7 of them being brand new. One was a 700hp Cadillac CTS-V. Some I dumped WAY too much money in and of course, lost it when I sold. I'm getting close to retirement and do not want to mod much if at all, if I buy a 4Runner.

Slopemaster[QUOTED] likes this.
  25. Jan 2, 2023 at 4:58 AM
    sportcoupe

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:

Ok you caught me. I may have exaggerated a little.

My daughter and I have been to 60+ National Parks, countless ghost towns and caverns. Some the roads are high clearance required. One example is Death Valley NP. The road from Ubehebe Crater to Racetrack Playa is wash boarded for 26 miles. I'd like to do more than 10 mph to get there.

7385 and Slopemaster like this.
  26. Jan 2, 2023 at 5:00 AM
    Accelerator

Accelerator New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Satellite Beach, Fla
    Vehicle:
    2022 SR5 Super White 4Runner #3
    You’ve stated that your plan is to buy a Pro and then resell it in 2-3 years right? If that’s the case, you seem to have your plans laid out already. Now, not to sound like a dick because that’s certainly not my intention, but I’m curious why you’re on this forum then? Seems like your intentions are pretty much cut and dried.

Edited to add: I reread your original post and I guess you’re here more to understand Pro availability and pricing. The way this thread evolved prompted my above post.

K-Paul and 7385 like this.
  27. Jan 2, 2023 at 5:41 AM
    5six

5six New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    55_4Runner
    GTA, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2022 Black TRD ORP
    Ceramic tint (all glass), Toyo AT3s 285/70 C load, Eibach Pro Truck Stage 2 suspension, Ironman UCA, Cartrimhome TRD skid plate, RCI skids (rear diff, transmission, filler plate, catalytic anti theft), SwitchPro 9100 & MT Plate, Caliraised ditch lights & brackets, Caliraised molle panels, Sherpa roof rack, Westcott ladder, Weathertech window visors, Meso & LED interior bulbs, black badging, Weathertech mats, Husky cargo liner, Canvasback rear seat backing, Smittybilt 2781, Morrflate Quad, ARB Diff Breather, Ultimate9, TRD Pro rims, GTR Carbide headlights, DIY Knight Rider light strip.
    Not sure why no one has answered your original question. YES, the TRD Pro is limited as we perceive it. The constraint is most like a rate of overall production. The current supply chain issues have made things even worse. I know in Canada some dealers are only expecting 1-2 units allocated of this trim level for the year, and I’m sure it something similar in the US as a rate of total 4Runners allocated, so hence the dealer mark ups. In reality the gap between the TRD Off Road and TRD Pro is much bigger. Regarding mods retaining value on TRD Off Road, here in Canada those do hold their value when the paperwork exists for installs from reputable shops or after a dealership has their workshop review all the installs. So dealers here sell those certified vehicles at premium. And buyers do pay those premiums as most would pay for those upgrades anyway.

28. Jan 2, 2023 at 5:46 AM
    57HotrodVW

57HotrodVW New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '18 Cavalry Blue TRD Pro
    Are you airing down on roads like these? Dropping to 25 PSI makes a huge difference, even without better suspension.

Of course, you'll need a compressor to air back up, but something like a VIAIR 88P is a great/inexpensive way to do that. I wrote this article about them:
    https://trail4runner.com/2019/12/04...-compressor-with-quick-release-air-chuck-mod/

[​IMG]

I'm currently running a VIAIR 400H-A under hood, and am happy with it.
    https://trail4runner.com/2021/11/16/viair-400h-on-board-air-install-5th-gen-4runner/

[​IMG]

Slopemaster likes this.
  29. Jan 2, 2023 at 7:53 AM
    Glenn Goodlett

Glenn Goodlett New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Glenn
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro
    Paid for
    This is what I did, except for the fly over, and got the TRD Pro at MSRP then delivered to my front door for $1500. If you want a Pro, get a Pro.

[​IMG]

K-Paul, LA260, Gharddog03 and 3 others like this.
  30. Jan 2, 2023 at 8:18 AM
    sportcoupe

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    Army green? Isn't that a 2021 color?

It seems to be impossible to find a 2023 TRDPRO on a lot for MSRP.

Products Discussed in

To Top