1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone have ther TSS recalibrated after modd

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Jtorral, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Dec 5, 2020 at 7:53 AM
    Jtorral

Jtorral [OP] New Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Looking into adding a wich bumper and a levelling kit to my 2021 runner. While reading the owner's manual of the vehicle, it states if you remove the front grill or the front bumper and put it back on you need to have your forward collision system recalibrated. Having said that a couple of dealers will not recalibrated because of liability if I add a levelling kit or change to a winch bumper. I did find one dealer that would do it for $418 Since it is not warranty work. Having said that I would really like to move forward with my modifications but I am leery of the dealers actually performing the post work. Maybe they will not do it. Has anyone on here had their collision system recalibrated after modifications to the vehicle i.e. lift, levelling, bumper. If so did you find any hesitation or issues from the dealer?

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    Toy4X4 likes this.
  2. Dec 5, 2020 at 8:29 AM
    ForRun

ForRun 4Runner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 orp
    I have not seen any serious claims of tss needing calibration. Been a few posts of trolls who drop a post or two and never come back.
    Local dealer lifts runners all the time and none have issues. Hundreds of not more in the forums have lifted including myself with zero issues. A few stuck bull bars infront and still no issue
    Also going to 285s actually gives most runners an accurate speedometer

Red_5, 7385 and Toy4X4 like this.
  3. Dec 5, 2020 at 2:44 PM
    Toy4X4

Toy4X4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2020 Offroad Prem. 4-runner
    RevTek 3" front- 2" rear leveling, JBA uca's, LED interior lights, Cooper 275-70-17 AT3 LT
    We had the dealer where we bought our 2020 put the leveling/lift on the vehicle, they did not recalibrate the TSS, I then added 3/4" taller tires, and the system works fine, no codes pop up, nothing like that. We are considering putting on a decent bumper though, and it is probably something to think about. There are other places to get this done, it was a topic on the forum not long ago, the guy that knew the most about it was certified on the system, and claimed to have done many of them.

4. Dec 7, 2020 at 9:44 AM
    koukimonster

koukimonster DYNO4

Member:
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    Midnight Venture
    Bigger A/T LT Tires, Slight Lift, Sliders, Rack, Lights, etc.
    Uncharted waters... good luck finding people with first hand experience quite yet.

So let's step back and think about this differently.

What are our fears here?

It is possible to permanently disable the system, if you are afraid that it will incorrectly engage one day, potentially causing an accident. In my eyes, that would be worse case scenario. Personally, I do not count the system, and am OK without it. Sure, it could help me one day. But I doubt I'd miss it. That said, I don't want to "permanently disable" it because I might just want to sell this truck one day, and the next potential owner might really want that feature.

If it was me, and I could afford it, I would install my mods, go get it calibrated (by TOYOTA), watch them do it so I at least felt comfortable they semi-knew what they were doing and put some effort into it, and then I'd move on and feel fine.

Even without post-calibration, I would probably learn to feel fine too, as long as my mods weren't too extreme.. but I'd surely set the system to "low" (not that that probably matters). Surely the system has tolerances built-in because towing the 4Runner would change it's rake angle (just like a leveling kit does). I think angle would be the biggest factor. Height from the ground could come into play, but I doubt an inch or two would change TOO much. A 3" lift would get me thinking, personally, though.

Hmm, after reading about that one person here the other day where it sounded like her TSS was TAKING AWAY her ability to brake normally, I feel like there are larger things to probably concern ourselves with than TSS function on a mildly modified 4Runner.

To each his own for sure and good luck to all during these turbulent times in the automotive industry. ;-)

Toy4X4 likes this.
  5. Dec 7, 2020 at 2:36 PM
    Gamma Ray

Gamma Ray Be excellent to each other

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Barcelona Red
    Who cares? This never shows everything anyway.
    Link please.

Toy4X4 likes this.
  6. Dec 8, 2020 at 8:07 AM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    Not 100% your answer, but I've removed my bumper twice, and lifted 2.5". TSS didn't need calibration and still works well, all of it.

Red_5 likes this.
  7. Dec 8, 2020 at 8:31 AM
    Jtorral

Jtorral [OP] New Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    found a dealer that said they would recalibrate if needed. The do it all the time on lifted vehicles. So, that made me feel better. Told me to use a lift from ironman which is just down the road and what they install. Now the hunt begins!

koukimonster likes this.
  8. Dec 8, 2020 at 9:39 AM
    jmkulbeth

jmkulbeth Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeffrey (KE5HDB)
    Siloam Springs, AR
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Offroad Premium, Nautical Blue
    Bone stock!
    koukimonster likes this.
  9. Dec 8, 2020 at 2:28 PM
    Gamma Ray

Gamma Ray Be excellent to each other

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Barcelona Red
    Who cares? This never shows everything anyway.
    jmkulbeth[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Dec 8, 2020 at 2:35 PM
    satxguy

satxguy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcos
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2020 off road
    OME lift Ditch lights Carhartt seat savers Husky floor liners Off grid engineering dual battery tray Battery isolator Victory 4x4 full roof rack RSG Rock Sliders Roam RTT
    I had a front bumper and winch installed and had problems with TSS malfunctioning. Disconnect the battery overnight, that is what my invoice said was the fix/solution. I have not had an issue since. Let us know if this really works.

11. Dec 9, 2020 at 5:14 AM
    Red_5

Red_5 New Member

Member:
    3" Ironman Foam Cell Pro lift on mine. TSS functions well.

12. Dec 9, 2020 at 6:04 AM
    ruiz4251

ruiz4251 "but it was funny huh?"

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    16 Trail Premium
    ICON custom stage 6 3"; 33's; gobi rack; SSO bumper; SSO high clearance; Rigid lights; 10k X2o winch; AFe intake; brola cat back; tint; aftermarket sound; opor sliders; pedal commander, viper smart start mobile tracker, Canvasback Liner; Rago rear window molles; victory 4x4 center console molle; cbi front skid steel; cbi aluminum tran skid; rci fuel aluminum skid; rci dif skid; rago rear shock skids; rci lower link skids; tenton workshop shift knob; yoga shop grenade trans knob;alpha rex headlights; USR blacked out tails; USR turns to turns; blacked out sequential mirror turn
    Yo if i may
    I'm not familiar with TSS im running an earlier model but I would like to weigh in on the bumper stuff. For those of you looking to get winch bumpers. I would suggest looking into LFD Offroad or TMT Underground
    Had those been available before getting mine would have saved some headaches. Why those well...it important to keep an eye on your spool when running the winch as to prevent binding and/or overlapping.

Products Discussed in

To Top