1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone Haul 3 Kids in Their 4runner (Also new member)

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by kB19, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Oct 20, 2018 at 10:39 PM
    kB19

kB19 [OP] New Member

Member:
    In the process of making the transition to a 4runner from a double cab Tundra (also previous 2015 Tacoma owner. Triple crown?!) and curious how hauling 3 kids around in a 4runner goes? My oldest will be 3 when my third arrives this spring and trying to decide whether a 3rd row will be functionable or not. Due to it (3rd row) not having top tether anchors, I wouldn’t be using it until my oldest is in a booster and my second is in a forward facing car seat (which will be in a couple years so I may trade it in around the time when the 6th gen comes out in 2024:))Until then, I have bought narrow car seats that will/should fit 3 across in the middle row.

It’s going to be tight either way and my wife’s Hyundai Santa Fe is going to be the primary kid hauler, but sometimes I think I should get a third row just so I have it and I can keep the lil turds from duking it out when they’re all within arms reach of each other in the 2nd. Downside of the 3rd row is that I am looking used so it limits my options and dealers like to price 3rd row 4runners like there is a price per seat. Just not sure if, even when my kids are older, I’ll even use the 3rd row.

Thanks in advance for your help.

P.S. New here from the Pacific NW

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    Strandskov likes this.
  2. Oct 20, 2018 at 10:55 PM
    GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner OffRoad
    Well I cannot attest to three kids in car seats. But I’ve hauled 4 adults around in it and there seemed to be enough space for everyone to be relatively comfortable.

Strandskov likes this.
  3. Oct 21, 2018 at 1:35 AM
    ruiz4251

ruiz4251 "but it was funny huh?"

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    16 Trail Premium
    ICON custom stage 6 3"; 33's; gobi rack; SSO bumper; SSO high clearance; Rigid lights; 10k X2o winch; AFe intake; brola cat back; tint; aftermarket sound; opor sliders; pedal commander, viper smart start mobile tracker, Canvasback Liner; Rago rear window molles; victory 4x4 center console molle; cbi front skid steel; cbi aluminum tran skid; rci fuel aluminum skid; rci dif skid; rago rear shock skids; rci lower link skids; tenton workshop shift knob; yoga shop grenade trans knob;alpha rex headlights; USR blacked out tails; USR turns to turns; blacked out sequential mirror turn
    I think Jennifer comes the closest so far. for me it's 1 wife, 1 20yr auntie, 1 granma (when they visit) 1 Layla (boxer mix) and 1 nuna rava w/17mn old (2 when his cousin comes to visit and we move it from my wife's car)
    in the cargo are
    1 stroller or thule cross 2. 1 diaper bag a Layla (mentioned above) small cooler for milk and 4 waters
    soccer ball, frisbee, 2 kites 2 baseball gloves w/baseball and sometimes 2 fishing poles (overhead)
    exchange your Layla for bigger cooler (pelican 45qt) or shopping trip.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    Strandskov likes this.
  4. Oct 26, 2018 at 8:36 PM
    MeanDean

MeanDean New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Rainier, WA
    Vehicle:
    '18 4R Limited - Magnetic Grey
    I have the 3rd row and love it. I can't see how it would hurt in your situation to have it.

Strandskov likes this.
  5. Oct 27, 2018 at 4:16 PM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Oldtoyotaguy Paid cash for it

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota 4 Runner Offroad
    I’ve hauled my three grand kids in their parents vehicle, a Pathfinder. 3 rows is definitely the way to go. 3 rows and an iPad each and its bliss back there.

Strandskov likes this.
  6. Oct 27, 2018 at 4:42 PM
    ruiz4251

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    16 Trail Premium
    ICON custom stage 6 3"; 33's; gobi rack; SSO bumper; SSO high clearance; Rigid lights; 10k X2o winch; AFe intake; brola cat back; tint; aftermarket sound; opor sliders; pedal commander, viper smart start mobile tracker, Canvasback Liner; Rago rear window molles; victory 4x4 center console molle; cbi front skid steel; cbi aluminum tran skid; rci fuel aluminum skid; rci dif skid; rago rear shock skids; rci lower link skids; tenton workshop shift knob; yoga shop grenade trans knob;alpha rex headlights; USR blacked out tails; USR turns to turns; blacked out sequential mirror turn
    hahahahauuuu. good that way they dont annoy you on a long trip. you make a good point Toyotaguy I can def see a third row coming in handy on a long trip. if most of your errands are around town then a third row is a luxury at least for me. I dont need the 3rd row we have my wife's suv for that. I can definitely see the use for a 4runner with 3rd row however in my particular case it doesn't apply.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    Strandskov likes this.
  7. Oct 27, 2018 at 6:01 PM
    ruiz4251

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    16 Trail Premium
    I dont know Jennifer do you? (^_-) jk. I'm thinking yes but right know we're happy with this little guy hes sooo fun to have around. it's not a no we've talked about it maybe in a yr or yr n 1/2

Strandskov likes this.
  8. Oct 27, 2018 at 6:38 PM
    ruiz4251

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    16 Trail Premium
    think alike you know. kid ARE a blessing

Strandskov likes this.
  9. Jan 28, 2019 at 9:35 PM
    kB19

kB19 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Kind of resurrecting an old thread that I started.

Finally made a decision and recently bought an 06 Sport (so no third row). 4runners with a third row do not have the top tether (nor anchors) so car seats don’t work in the third row. Also, the 2nd row of is slightly different in the 3 row versions vs. 2 row versions. The middle section of the 2nd row is wider in the 2 row versions, making it more suitable for fitting three car seats. I went with two Diono 3rxt car seats and they are narrow enough to fit a baby seat in between, but it’s a tight fight and would probably be a PIA if my kids were regularly in my vehicle.

Strandskov likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top