1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any Limited owners out there? A couple questions if you don't mind...

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by TimGinCentralNJ, Mar 26, 2024.

1. Mar 26, 2024 at 3:15 PM
    TimGinCentralNJ

TimGinCentralNJ [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle:
    '24 Limited in Classic Silver
    TRD Pro rims w/265/70-17 Toyo OC AT3s
    My wife and I are trying to make some decisions re: which model 4Runner might make the most sense for us--given how we **think** we'll be using it and could use some feedback from the group. I'm also trying to find out if my company gets any employee pricing from Toyota (since they're a client of ours) which might help put us into a new 2024 rather than used/CPO model. Fingers crossed because I'm pretty sure my vital organs aren't worth much on the black market anymore.

So, we both really dig the TRD Pro appearance-wise, but if I'm being honest with myself and all of you, this is going to be used 98% on-road and we'll probably never need that kind of off-road hardware. Also, Full-time AWD is something at the top of my list of "wants", but I was bummed to find out that is only available on the Limited...which I personally find a little mundane looking in stock form.

Speaking of the Limited, I had a couple of questions for any of the folks that have or have had one:
    1. How do you like the Torsen AWD system--both for day-to-day duty and in the snow? Is there anything you dislike about it?
    2. How scared should I be of the X-REAS suspension crapping out sometime in the next 10 years? I know there are aftermarket solutions to eliminate it, but personally I kinda' see it as a liability, plus I'm ok with my truck driving/riding like a truck.
    3. Lastly, has anyone added any TRD Pro bits 'n pieces (i.e., front grille, roof rack, rims/tires, etc.) to their Limited to dress it up a bit?
    I appreciate anyone and everyone's willingness to entertain my stupid questions, but I didn't find much to go on using search.

TIA,
    TimG.

Harringbr99 and broken-giver like this.
  2. Mar 26, 2024 at 3:23 PM
    steelevo

steelevo Not so new anymore...

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2023 4Runner TRD Pro Solar Octane
    Welcome. As a prior Limited owner and current Pro owner, I'll give my opinion.

1 - I miss the AWD function in the Limited. It worked amazing in the snow and never had to worry about putting it in 4WD.
    2 - My XREAS suspension started leaking at 4 years and 110k miles when I traded it in. Toyota extended warranty was in place until 125k miles, so this wasn't an issue. The ride with XREAS and the TRD Pro suspension are similar to me. The largest difference comes with turning and curves. The XREAS just handles body roll much better than the Fox suspension.
    3 - There are a few forum members who have converted their Limited to Pro models in appearance.

If you're not stuck on the Terra Pro specific color, then I would just get a Limited and make it what you want.

3. Mar 26, 2024 at 3:32 PM
    nova

nova New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Soon Arizona
    Vehicle:
    slightly modified LE
    That about sums it up. FT4WD is awesome. XREAS will die at which point you can get the suspension you like. The cladding is different so there could be some DYI to get more of the Pro look. The wheels shouldn’t be a problem. Under all the plastic bits, it’s a 4Runner ready to party!imagejpeg_0.jpg

4. Mar 26, 2024 at 3:45 PM
    2018 Limited

2018 Limited New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BDR
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited
    I purchased the Limited specifically because it had full time AWD, climate control and it drove better than the other models I drove (SR5/ORP) in my opinion. We are in the northeast and travel often to our place in the mountains and the AWD in the bad weather is great. I liked the looks of the ORP better so I picked up a set of ORP wheels and put some Falken Wildpeaks on. I too do minimal off-roading but this vehicle is capable enough for getting into your hunting/fishing spot or some mild trails or a beach BBQ with your friends and family.

IMG_4344.jpg

5. Mar 26, 2024 at 6:32 PM
    San Angelo

San Angelo New Member

Member:
    The cost to replace XREAS is around 4k and the Toyota extended warranty cost is much less and will cover it. The AWD is nice for bad weather and my wife does not have to think about it.

6. Mar 27, 2024 at 2:21 AM
    ATL4R

ATL4R New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2024 Limited
    1. My Limited (‘24) is RWD so can’t comment on the AWD system.

2. This is one of the main reasons I purchased the Toyota VSA, 10 year / 120k mile plan (discounted). When and if it does go after the warranty, will replace with something standard. Lots of discussion on here about it.

3. Leaving as is. It’s the wife’s grocery getter and daily driver. She likes it just fine.

Good for you on the potential pricing discount. That is a huge deal. Please post an update if that works out.

7. Mar 27, 2024 at 2:52 AM
    2018 Limited

2018 Limited New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BDR
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited
    It’s about $4000 to install a higher mid level off road suspension system as well. Will be a tough choice if this happens outside of warranty. I’ve often thought what would I do. Luckily it appears I have time. Did I just jinx myself?

TimGinCentralNJ[OP] likes this.
  8. Mar 27, 2024 at 4:46 AM
    broken-giver

broken-giver BFD

Member:
    Welcome.
    I do not own a limited. However, I want to ask are you dead set on a 4Runner? There are quite frankly, much better handling vehicles even in toyota's line up than a Limited 4R. If you do not intend to take it off road, why not go for something else that handles better, is more modern in terms of power train, is more efficient? Maybe a hybrid highlander or grand highlander?

9. Mar 27, 2024 at 5:52 AM
    Manhattan

Manhattan New Member

Member:
    I just bought a Limited. I didn't consider any other trims for a few reasons.

The first is purely (!) subjective. This will not sit well with 95% of the guys on this board... but I just don't like the frontend/facia on the other trims. To me, the Limited's frontend is just better-looking and (again - to me) looks more like the semi-modern era of Land Cruisers (100 Series, 79 Series, etc).

Next is semi-subjective. I have a modified 100 Series Land Cruiser and a (more) modified '84 Pickup. I will take the Limited off road, but 98% of the miles will be on pavement, and the trails will be mild. After 150,000 miles in a 6,000 lbs. lifted Land Cruiser on 33s, driving a stock Limited feels like a lightweight sports car (yeah, I know). I like the Xreas. I wanted leather, and auto-climate control, and heated/cooled seats and, etc., etc... I agree, on paper, rationally, based on my criteria, even the Limited isn't right. I should be in a Highlander or some other "car." But, I still have to like what I drive. Looking over your shoulder after you park is worth something.

But, I will conceded, the 20s and minivan tires have to go. The truck will soon be wearing TRD Pro wheels (gloss gunmetal) and 265/70/17s.

Disclaimer: I know me. I've seen this movie before. "This one is staying stock." is a top 5 likely epitaph on my tombstone. I'm just hoping, with the other two trucks, I really can keep this one stock. But, I'll revisit this thread in a couple years.

10. Mar 27, 2024 at 5:58 AM
    TimGinCentralNJ

TimGinCentralNJ [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle:
    '24 Limited in Classic Silver
    TRD Pro rims w/265/70-17 Toyo OC AT3s
    Hi BG-
    Appreciate the response...all good points. Truth be told, I've always wanted a 4Runner but largely because of their gas mileage and the miles I drove annually, it was never a good fit for my lifestyle. Now that I am trying to plan out what retirement will look like in the next few years (in Maine if things go as planned) and the fact my wife will always own a Lexus NX which gets great mileage, now seems to be the right time. I have owned several crossovers in the past (I'm driving a 2019 Mazda CX-9 Signature now) and while they have been fairly good at everything I've needed them to be, none of them really blew my skirt up and none had a real enthusiast following like the 4R. Plus, if I'm going to drop $50K+ on a truck, I'd like it to be one that I can work on as a hobby and meet other enthusiasts, and know it's well made enough to be around awhile if well loved. I don't yet know how all these new hybrid platforms like Tacoma and soon to be 4Runner will fare in the long run.

Thanks,
    TimG

11. Mar 27, 2024 at 5:59 AM
    broken-giver

broken-giver BFD

Member:
    very well put.

Toolguy73 likes this.
  12. Mar 27, 2024 at 6:18 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    You already have good points.

For me the biggest reason to buy Limited is for Mrs. She cannot use the TRD 4wd shifter. It's too hard. (Also one of my friends wife accidentally shifted to 4Lo from 4Hi at highway speed thinking she was shifting to 2Hi)

She also drove SR5, the electronic shifter is easy to use but one time she forgot to shift to 4Hi and slipped. That's when I decided I should look at full-time 4wd.

We looked at Highlander Limited/ Platinum with TV-AWD but decided no. Looked as Luxury GX460 but things like low ground clearance, potential KDSS problems, same 23gal tank with V8 gave us no to GX460. End up with Limited with 3rd row. I absolutely love it to drive in winter time over my TRD. Limited has same 9.6in clearance and have full gas tank skid standard (unlike GX460), so even if Mrs hit some chunk of ice dropped on the road it's protected.

I see in other forums XREAS running longer without any problem. If you look in this forum pretty much no one runs stock SR5/TRD ORP shocks to say they are more reliable. If one get shocks like Fox / Kings , they anyway have service interval 30-50K miles, else they will leak. Atleast with XREAS shocks you can replace them this any 4x4/suspension shop with other shocks not at the mercy of Toyota dealership.

One thing I dislike on Limited is 20in wheels. My wife have no sympathy on her vehicles. She doesn't care potholes or anything. It was an easy swap to 17in wheels.

As for swapping bumper and side rocker panels it's no easy job and I would not attempt. Limited bumpers have parking sensors and other trims don't. Limited rear wheel arch is different from others , so SR5 / TRD low profile rocker pannel will have an ugly finish in the back.

13. Mar 27, 2024 at 6:24 AM
    2018 Limited

2018 Limited New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BDR
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited
    I said this is staying stock so many times my wife no longer believes me. I bought a Harley new in 96. Said this was staying stock except the only things I’m changing are the seat and handlebars. 6 months later and an additional 17 grand I still get ribbed by the wife. Every new toy I get she still says to this day” I know seat and handlebars only “. Ha ha we aren’t fooling anyone.

14. Mar 27, 2024 at 7:26 AM
    catbrown357

catbrown357 New Member

Member:
    Tempe
    Vehicle:
    2011 Limited 4WD
    Really? Not sure where you're getting that number. When the XREAS gave up the ghost on my 2011 at 150K, I installed an OME (Old Man Emu) suspension for far less than $4000. Granted, I did the work myself but parts were around $1200. Never even considered replacing the XREAS. Ripped it all out and threw it in the garbage.

15. Mar 27, 2024 at 9:23 AM
    Rocko9999

Rocko9999 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Limited
    Love the automatic 4wd. Especially in snowy conditions. I would choose this all day everyday if I could. Xreas leaked and was replaced with Bilstein 5100s.

16. Mar 27, 2024 at 9:34 AM
    Agent_Outside

Agent_Outside A Guy A Girl and A Trail

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Built 2011 T4R Limited
    You shouldn’t expect ANY shocks to last 10 years, they are a wear item. The only reason XREAS seems more problematic is because they leak fluid in 100% of failures. Whereas normal shocks don’t always look wet when they are completely blown.

17. Mar 27, 2024 at 11:20 AM
    mtnslyr

mtnslyr New Member

Member:
    Absolutely. I guess I’m on 5%. I’m not just neutral about other trim’s front end, I dislike the lego look.

Manhattan[QUOTED] and Toolguy73 like this.
  18. Mar 27, 2024 at 12:10 PM
    Pavementprincess24

Pavementprincess24 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2024 White 4Runner TRD OR premium
    If I wanted full time 4wd I’d get a Honda Pilot. We just traded ours in and would’ve kept it but it just hit 100,000 miles and needed a lot of maintenance. It was fast and smooth on the highway and I averaged 23.5 MPG also. I got a 4Runner for a completely different reason. If you’re set on getting a 4Runner look at a TRD Off Road premium. It will hold its resale value even if you never use 4WD.

TimGinCentralNJ[OP] likes this.
  19. Mar 27, 2024 at 12:18 PM
    kolter45

kolter45 Inferno Pro & 4.0 Tacoma

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    Inferno Pro & BRM Sport
    I love limited 4runners, kinda want one because of the AWD & there nice as hell. Don't hesitate getting a limited - Nautical Blue Limited looks awesome!

J.A., Toolguy73, Harringbr99 and 3 others like this.
  20. Mar 27, 2024 at 12:22 PM
    Manhattan

Manhattan New Member

Member:
    Don't make this more confusing than it has to be. The Pilot is available with AWD... not 4WD. Plenty of "real" 4WDs are full-time.

21. Mar 27, 2024 at 1:05 PM
    San Angelo

San Angelo New Member

Member:
    Do you consider the different Land Cruiser’s the same as a Honda Pilot?

Manhattan and Rocko9999 like this.
  22. Mar 27, 2024 at 1:10 PM
    erfer1

erfer1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    SW NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 Limited
    Welcome
    1.I live in the desert, and decent paved roads are in the minority here. There is snow up in the Gila though, and occasionally we get snow here in the desert. Happy w/ AWD.
    2.XREAS I rarely wheel very hard, a lot of driving through the Gila and through the desert roads, and I know that most likely at some point I want 17-in wheels and tires so I have a taller sidewall. I will simply have the Xreas removed and replaced with aftermarket components for a small lift, and replace the wheels and tires at the same time.
    3. You can't swing a cat around here without hitting a TRD Pro or an Off-Road. There are approximately three Limiteds in town that I live in, and I own one of them. I don't see any reason to add any thing to the outside of my vehicle. Usually I'm concerned about tearing it off. ( I did replace the front plastic bash guard with a metal one.)

23. Mar 27, 2024 at 1:16 PM
    San Angelo

San Angelo New Member

Member:
    I forget who the manufacture is but there is one that designed a mild lift for the XREAS setup.

24. Mar 27, 2024 at 1:18 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    This one?
    upload_2024-3-27_14-18-21.png

kolter45 likes this.
  25. Mar 27, 2024 at 1:19 PM
    erfer1

erfer1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    SW NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 Limited
    Yes I think I saw it on this board a few years ago. If I'm not mistaken, it involved using a spacer and I really don't like spacers. Thanks for the info though.

26. Mar 27, 2024 at 1:31 PM
    Pavementprincess24

Member:
    Vehicle:
    No, besides them both having a transfer case and different drive modes. The Pilot doesn’t have a low range. 4 cylinder vs 6 cylinder. 8 speed transmission vs 10 speed transmission.
    Get the TRD Offroad! You’ll be happy you got the extra features

27. Mar 27, 2024 at 1:47 PM
    San Angelo

San Angelo New Member

Member:
    Limited has low range too

28. Mar 27, 2024 at 2:06 PM
    Pavementprincess24

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Ok

29. Mar 27, 2024 at 2:28 PM
    joshdub

joshdub New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD ORP
    The only reason to buy a 4runner is it's offroad capability. Otherwise they are awful highway vehicles. I'd buy almost anything else if that were my use case

30. Mar 27, 2024 at 2:46 PM
    erfer1

erfer1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    SW NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 Limited
    This is pretty true as far as a commuter/highway driver. It is very comfortable to drive unless it's windy and I mean really windy like it gets down here in the desert, just floats along at about 75 no problem. However, it handles like a brick and gets the worst gas mileage of almost any car I've ever owned except for the Disco.
    On the other hand, with the seats down, you can pack so much crap in that thing. Easily carry four Mountain bikes, their owners, and all the additional junk that they need up into the mountains. Pulling a trailer from Southern Ohio to Southern New Mexico with that Limited pulling the largest cargo trailer that U-Haul has was a breeze. The only sketchy part was driving through the San Augustin Pass. I thought I was gonna have to get out and push.

Pavementprincess24 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top