1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Another recovery gone wrong. Be careful out there, folks!

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by Thatbassguy, Mar 3, 2024.

1. Mar 3, 2024 at 6:26 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy [OP] New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    There was another recovery incident recently. Some blaming a generic soft shackle, one comment blamed the recovery vehicle for pulling too hard/fast.

Either way, a good reminder to be careful, and don't try to cheap out on recovery gear.

Also, another reminder that kinetic ropes can be extremely dangerous. I personally consider them a last resort at this point.

[​IMG]

steelevo and Dabigono like this.
  2. Mar 3, 2024 at 6:27 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    Link to FB

3. Mar 3, 2024 at 6:30 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
  4. Mar 3, 2024 at 6:53 AM
    SmithJ

SmithJ New Member

Member:
    Was it only the soft shackle that went through the windshield? No metal?

Thatbassguy[OP] likes this.
  5. Mar 3, 2024 at 8:00 AM
    kolter45

kolter45 Inferno Pro & 4.0 Tacoma

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    Inferno Pro & BRM Sport
    Couldnt he just use his winch?

Thatbassguy[OP] and BearBio like this.
  6. Mar 3, 2024 at 8:04 AM
    2Toys

2Toys Imperial Star Cruiser

Member:
    First Name:
    Gordon
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRDORP
    a few goodies
    Wow! I hope he knows how lucky he is. The last one like that posted here a guy died with his family in the vehicle when the same thing happened.

7. Mar 3, 2024 at 8:07 AM
    Dabigono

Dabigono Just Joined

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner
    Scary stuff, thanks for the reminder

2Toys and Thatbassguy[OP] like this.
  8. Mar 3, 2024 at 8:58 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    That's what it sounded like to me. I had to skim through the video because it was so long.

That's probably what I would have done. I'm not really sure what led up to the situation, though.

kolter45[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Mar 3, 2024 at 9:53 AM
    SmithJ

SmithJ New Member

Member:
    That's how it looked to me. I really hadn't given it much thought. I guess me knee jerk reaction had been that soft rope and shackles were safer. But it crashed right through that windshield.

10. Mar 3, 2024 at 10:21 AM
    roooo

roooo New Member

Member:
    2018 Silver ORP KDSS
    wow at first i just thought ohno a new windshield.. yikes

11. Mar 3, 2024 at 10:32 AM
    hossler1788

hossler1788 Turtle

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Central Pa
    Vehicle:
    2020 4runner
    Shit imagine if it was a steel winch cable or a chain. Back when I started offroading thats all we had.

Gotta be smarter then the tools your using.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2024
  12. Mar 3, 2024 at 11:16 AM
    backpacker

backpacker New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD ORP
    Falken Wildpeak 265/70R/17 load E
    I watched from beginning to end, and his conclusions seemed right to me. His takeaways were:

1. He didn't spend enough time assessing the situation.
    2. He should have dug the buried wheel. This can't be emphasized enough. (My observation: a lot of the recovery disasters posted online stem from people not understanding how big an obstacle they're trying to overcome.)
    3. The kinetic pulls were way too hard.
    4. The soft shackle was mounted to a clevis
    5. The soft shackle was of unknown quality. However, he did note the frame damage which indicated that it survived an incredible amount of force.

Getting back to the winch question, I suspect that given his frame damage, a winch may not have had enough power to get him clear of the obstacle as it was situated, especially if the pulling vehicle was on an icy surface. That part in italics is critical, though. It may have worked if he had dug out first. I've always felt like I'm not done digging until there's nothing diggable left in front of any tires.

4R777, 1SilverRunner, icebear and 4 others like this.
  13. Mar 3, 2024 at 12:11 PM
    steelevo

steelevo Not so new anymore...

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2023 4Runner TRD Pro Solar Octane
    Yikes!!! Thank you for posting this as a reminder for all of us to use that safety-first mindset.

14. Mar 8, 2024 at 1:50 PM
    PointmanUSMC

PointmanUSMC New Member

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2023 Black TRD ORP 4 Runner Bronze Rims

Crazy stuff, dangerous.
    I know this might sound silly but has anyone tried putting the hood up during a kinetic rope pull? Maybe I'm the first idiot to think of trying that. The hood might be just enough material strength to deflect some of that energy. I have heard of metal also sheering off and if that went flying possibly a hood could slow it down some before it breaks through to a windshield? Think of a ricocheting bullet. If the hood was at an angle does it have enough strength to deflect some of that energy downward instead of towards the cabin? Maybe worth trying. I might be more inclined losing some components on the top of my engine block vs DEATH. Would make a great YouTube experiment.

Just a thought.

15. Mar 8, 2024 at 2:25 PM
    1SilverRunner

1SilverRunner My boy, blue

Member:
    Tejas
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Off Road Premium
    Front Bumper: C4 Fabrication Low-Profile Bumper Warn Evo10-S Winch w/ Warn wireless adapter Extreme LED dual color light bar w/ Cali raised LED OEM style switch Bumper Cover Trimmed For Clearance Rear Bumper: 80% Off Road Rear Bash Bar *coming soon Armor: RCI Skid plate package C4 Gas tank skid RCI Rear diff skid RCI Shock Skids RSG Angled/ Plated Sliders Total Chaos Cam Tab Gussets Total Chaos Spindle Gussets Suspension: Dobinsons IMS long travel kit (Front: IMS59-50574 w/ C59-352 Springs) (Rear: IMS59-50575 w/ C59-675v Springs) Apache Off Road UCAs Apache Off Road HD Rear Links (Upper and Lower) Apache Off Road Rear Sway Bar Links Dobinsons Track Bar DuroBumps Rear Bump stops PerryParts Front Bump stops DRKDSS Track Bar Correction kit Dobinsons Diff Drop Wheels/ Tires: RRW 17x8.5 -12 RR6-H Wheels 285/75/17 Falken AT4W 1.25" SpiderTrax Spacers BMC, Pinch Weld Folded. MinWin End Caps Storage Solutions: LFD Cross-Bars Aiden James Customs Gear Plate w/ Slide Out Tables *Backordered, coming soon Rado Designs Molle storage panels and top shelf Glove Box organizer Center Console organizer Performance: Scan Gauge II for Temp Monitoring Yota Shop Diff Breather Interior: Diode Dynamics LED Interior lighting (Warm white ftw) Meso Customs Hatch lights Meso Customs Door Handle Covers Garmin Dash Cam Mini II with Dongar power solution Ram ball mount for Garmin In-Touch Mini II Scosche phone mount Misc: Nano Ceramic Tint (Including windshield and sunroof) Midland MXT575 and Ghost Antenna Cali Raised 27W Ditch Lights OVS Nomadic Awning 6.5' AVS Low Profile Vent Visor AVS Bugflector II Diode Dynamic puddle lights LasFit Reverse lights LED license plate lights Ark Splash Guards Ark Mud Flap Deletes AJT Push-To-Start Button +Midland handheld GMRS radios, Baofeng UV-5R Ham radio, recovery gear, water purification system, lifeboat food rations, trauma kit, fire extinguisher and fire starting kit stay on board.
    Shiiiit I feel like this is a great idea honestly.

16. Mar 8, 2024 at 3:10 PM
    Stoney Ranger

Stoney Ranger New Member

Member:
    Driftless Area
    Vehicle:
    '18 SR5 Nauti Blue
    4x Rockers/Skids-Dobi-275's-Fr/R Bpr-Winch-Stickers-ALF
    I thought this was common knowledge and practice. I don't winch or pull from the front unless the hood is up.

Thatbassguy[OP] and SlvrSlug like this.
  17. Mar 8, 2024 at 3:16 PM
    Ripper238

Ripper238 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR
    Makes me want to get soft shackles. If they were metal he would be dead.

18. Mar 8, 2024 at 4:25 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    Thanks for posting. The comments in that video mentioned something else I never would have thought of…. That snatch straps or ropes need time to reset after a hard yank.

Not sure how true that is, but the comment mentioned after 2 or 3 hard pulls like in the video, snatch straps can become more like tow straps unless given a day or so to “reset” to their original length.

All this is a good reminder that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. A lot of knowledge is much safer lol.

Totally agree with @Thatbassguy that dynamic pulls need to be treated as the most dangerous. They can be quick and convenient, but a mistake or a failure has heavier consequences to people and equipment.

Not to mention that whenever another person is involved in the recovery, the risks are huge if there isn’t a game plan communicated with clear expectations for each person.

19. Mar 8, 2024 at 5:10 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    I generally winch with the hood up. I'd be concerned about the hinges getting tweaked in a kinetic recovery, but I might be over-thinking that.

20. Mar 8, 2024 at 5:23 PM
    SlvrSlug

SlvrSlug Slightly bent.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ramona Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 4-Runner SR-5 P. Kings, Built Right uca’s, Durabumps, RSG sliders
    Also you can throw a towel, or shirt or something to slow it down when it comes at you.

21. Mar 8, 2024 at 5:28 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    When I was a kid in the '90s, I used to read a lot of the off-road magazines. This was actually something that they had suggested in all of their winching articles. Back then everything was chain, steel cable, and steel shackles, so it was definitely important.

Reading about this instance has me looking at name brand recovery gear, I have an ARB strap, but I've been using iron Man soft shackles which I think I'm going to retire.

22. Mar 12, 2024 at 2:15 PM
    3JOH22A

3JOH22A Toyota Gigolo

Member:
    District 6ix
    Vehicle:
    5G 4Runner, 3G Tacoma on 35"s
    It wasn't a winch cable. It is not customary or effective to put a winch damper on kinetic rope pulls.

Copying from the TW discussion thread:
    Don’t go ham yanking on a kinetic rope
    Don’t use a soft shackle through a recovery point that isn’t designed for them
    Don’t use cheap soft shackles
    Use appropriately sized kinetic rope that'll stretch as intended. The pull had a harder impact on both vehicles because the 1" rope was too stiff, acting more like a tow strap.

nova likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top