1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Another Purchase Advice Thread!

Discussion in '1st Gen 4Runners (1984-1989)' started by PittJoe, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Sep 14, 2016 at 12:11 PM
    PittJoe

PittJoe [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hey Guys,
    4Runner newbie here, but have looked at 1st generation 4Runners for while. One popped up on my radar near me that I am interested in checking out. Need a sanity check:

1987 SR5 192K, northeast truck with some body rust although guy says frame was pressure washed and undercoated a years ago. Not pristine, obviously. Asking $3600.

He has done a fair amount of maintenance work (water pump, thermostat, alternator, clutch and throw out bearing, starter, brake calipers and pads, radiator, cylinder head and oil pump, front ball joints (all), tie rods and idler arms, rear leaf springs and bushings, rear brake lines and gas tank) as this was his winter daily driving for years (yes, more rust). Planning on test drive on Saturday.

Any ideas on what I looking at ballpark to have rust repaired, and unfortunately I don't have time to do it myself.

Any help appreciated.

ok3fqe_fb612c37000db396d102416b39a1e714c7eef107.jpg

207mkif_123c95250f023ba4001662f07d2d2cf85e057398.jpg

2. Sep 14, 2016 at 1:19 PM
    BestGen

BestGen Member #57

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Haunted Turnbull Canyon, CA
    Vehicle:
    1988 4Runner XTE 22RE/W56, '93 G144 4.88s, Spartan Locker, AllPro Sliders, OEM 15x6" rims, BFG KM2 33/10.5s, 4Crawler 1.5" BJS, OME 2" Dakar springs, TG rear bumper.
    33"KM2s, 4.88s, Spartan Locker, TG rear bumper, AllPro Kickout sliders, 4Crawler 1.5" BJS, OME 2" Dakar springs.
    U need to really check the frame for rust as Toyota uses a box frame that rusts from the inside out. I also see rust in the A-pillar which means there's a lot more u can't see... yet! The positive is the engine has really low miles. The most I'd go is $2500. Good luck.

3. Sep 14, 2016 at 2:00 PM
    ajohnson

ajohnson Glamorous

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    87 4Runner SAS and other stuffs, 07 Tacoma
    Things and stuff and such
    Rust in the A pillars is common on these bodies, unfortunately. The windshield trim is a horrible design and holds moisture.

Need to crawl underneath it and look at the floor front to back, especially around the body mounts, and the rear frame section from the leaf spring hangers back. If it looks crusty, you should leave with your money.

4. Sep 14, 2016 at 5:52 PM
    PittJoe

PittJoe [OP] New Member

Member:
    So the A pillar is rusted from the inside out. Sounds unfixable. Agreed, I will check the body mounts and rear spring hangers. There are no pictures of the undercarriage.

For me driving anything daily in the salt and slush, is not something I would do to a car that I really care about. But I am from the south... so I don't understand driving a new car in the winter, no matter how much money you make.

If I look at it as a fun winter driver and summer pop-top beater that I am going to drive into the ground over the next couple of years perhaps it will make more sense? I am planning on moving back south in 2-3 years. If that is the case $2500-3000 sounds more reasonable.

Are parts pretty easy to find? Including interior bits (carpets, seats, etc.) so my kids don't smell like mold when I drop them at school?

5. Sep 17, 2016 at 8:02 AM
    PittJoe

PittJoe [OP] New Member

Member:
    Decided not to drive the 1.5hrs to see the truck as he is not ready to adjust his asking price. He's seems like a good guy and has been upfront about the rusty bits. Sounds like two cab mounts could use repair or replacement and the same with the front upper bump stops...

To Top