1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alright...I know this is a topic that is beat to death...cracked V8 manifolds

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by clarkremark, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Jul 16, 2019 at 10:10 PM
    clarkremark

clarkremark [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2008 4Runner Sport V8
    Black Rhino Wheels, K&N Cold Air Intake, Roof Basket
    Hey gang,

I have a 2008 Sport V8 and can't stand the exhaust leak. So much so that I've been seriously considering selling my 2008 and just buying a 2014-2017 Trail Premium....but I love this V8 and I can make this truck really nice for $3-5k instead of signing on the line that is dotted for $30k+

I know this one has been beat to death, and it seems like everyone recommends the Doug Thorley manifolds to replace the stock ones. Here's the rub, I only have a leak on one side, so paying a shop to do both sides could cost a small fortune...or the same amount as one side at the dealership.

My biggest question is this...can I do it myself? I'm relatively handy and can usually find my way around just about anything, but this particular job scares me. What if I snap off a stud? What if I can't get the Thorley's to fit? What if, what if, what if??

Has anyone done this in their garage? Is it worth renting an engine hoist and figuring out how to yank the engine to just do both sides? Has anyone done it that way???

Too many questions, I apologize. Just looking for some advice or even a "dude, you're crazy to try it on your own", which is what the mechanics I speak to say...some won't even take the job.

Thanks in advance!

2. Jul 17, 2019 at 9:14 AM
    MattAK

MattAK t4r.org refugee

Member:
    First Name:
    Guess..
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    '08 Sport V8 Galactic Gray
    Fixed broken shiz. Dobinson's 2.5"
    Fortunately my V8 doesn't have the leak (yet) but my dad's does so I looked into this a bit recently. My decision was if it came down to it I was going to have a shop do it because doing it myself in the driveway looks like a huge PITA that I just don't want to deal with. You can do it without removing the engine but it's a long tough job and since my 4Runner is my daily I'd be down my primary transportation until I got it done. I also live in a place that does emissions testing so I'd have to get cats welded onto the headers anyway which I definitely don't want to attempt myself.

3. Jul 17, 2019 at 4:28 PM
    clarkremark

clarkremark [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2008 4Runner Sport V8
    Black Rhino Wheels, K&N Cold Air Intake, Roof Basket
    Thanks!

4. Jul 23, 2019 at 12:21 AM
    Ink09

Ink09 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Vehicle:
    2007 4Runner Limited V8
    I have also just recently gotten the dreaded exhaust leak and have been trying to figure out the best course of action to take, luckily I don't have to deal with emissions though..

Products Discussed in

To Top