1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Advice on a lift and tires

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Idahomie, May 2, 2017.

1. May 2, 2017 at 9:33 AM
    Idahomie

Idahomie [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro?
    Any advice or experiences would be appreciated.
    I just got my TRD Pro and am interested in doing the Toyotec 2" lift. Anyone have any issues with doing this? Any reason I shouldn't do it?
    Along with the lift I want to put on some Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 285/75/17. Will these require spacers to avoid rubbing? I'm not real sure how I feel about spacers. Anyone have any particular thoughts about 10 ply vs 6 ply? Is there really a noticeable difference in ride between the two?

2. May 2, 2017 at 12:20 PM
    brochacho

brochacho New Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sequoia TRD Sport
    -Which 2" lift in particular are you looking at?
    -Should or shouldn't lift? Depends on your goal for the vehicle and what you plan on using it for...
    -285/75/17 will rub with or without spacers. Probably worse with spacers. Most have to trim with 285/70/17. Nice choice on the tires!
    -10 ply vs 6 ply...been talked about recently..see here https://www.4runners.com/threads/opinions-on-these-two-tires.3726/#post-38200

3. May 2, 2017 at 12:55 PM
    Dimhof

Dimhof More is better

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Vehicle:
    2015 4runner trail with KDSS
    Like what was previously stated it all depends on what you want it for. If it's the looks go for it, if you plan on offroading it a ton go for it. I'm under the impression spacers will contribute to more fender rub. 10 ply is often overkill if you don't put the truck in situations that need a thick sidewall but like condoms...rather have it and not need it...2€

4. May 2, 2017 at 1:55 PM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    While 10 ply is overkill, I've been to quite a few parks where the rocks on the ground were sharp and made me worry about my P-rated tires. The E Load give me more confidence...not to say "OH WELL LET'S DO IT!," but instead to say, "I think if I'm careful we'll be ok through this." The ride wasn't all that different on road, but the ride off road with better tires made a BIG difference.

I put Toytec 2" front and rear springs on my truck with Bilstein 5100's, much prefer this setup over stock. Still have some rake.

I'd imagine those tires will rub, but if you keep the stock rims, they MIGHT not in most situations. Off road, flexing out, I got 265/70/R17's to rub in extreme cases (where tires are off the ground). So will your 285's with a similar lift do it? YEP.

Will spacers likely cause more rub too? Yep.

Will aftermarket rims with more backspacing + spacers + 285's cause rub? Actually, A LOT of it.

Each of those things mentioned above contribute. I went with Factory Rims, no spacers, and 265's. The result? A no rub, 2.5" lifted truck that the wheels look flush with the truck, not sticking out of it. Keeps the debris from the road off the side of the 4Runner, and I've done may obstacles with the "measly" 32.2" tires. Honestly, I don't need larger tires, I need better approach and departure angles that will be granted by bumpers. (Mainly Departure)

5. May 3, 2017 at 8:24 AM
    Idahomie

Idahomie [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro?
    Thank you all for your input. Back to the drawing board I go! Sounds like the 265 is what I need to stick with. My wife will occasionally drive this rig and I can only imagine the results if I go too crazy with things...

Products Discussed in

To Top