1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Adding larger tires may void warranty?

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by 850RedRunnerORP, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Jun 2, 2020 at 4:52 AM
    850RedRunnerORP

850RedRunnerORP [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    FL
    Vehicle:
    '18 Barcelona Red ORP
    Eibach Stage 1 kit 285 BFG K02s
    When I bought my ORP a little over a year ago it was a CPO and I was able to get a 7yr/100k mile bumper to bumper warranty for <$1k.

I briefly spoke to a guy at the dealership stating I would eventually add a lift and different tires to the truck and he said all would be fine for warranty. Recently I spoke to a different guy at the dealership and he said by adding larger tires it may affect my transmission, therefore voiding transmission warranty. Is that true?

I know with a lift/tires my suspension components (shocks, springs, UCA, LCA, hub assembly, etc) would not be "warranted" anymore but I wouldn't think they could say a transmission would no longer be covered. My understanding was as long as it's bolt-on then only the parts replaced with aftermarket and "affected" by the changes are no longer covered.

Anyone have insight into this?

Thatbassguy likes this.
  2. Jun 2, 2020 at 5:20 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ---

Member:
    Lexington, Ohio
    It is incorrect.

To validate this, I had the diff needle bearings replaced under extended CPO warranty, lift and larger tires present..

7385 and Thatbassguy like this.
  3. Jun 2, 2020 at 6:06 AM
    850RedRunnerORP

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    FL
    Vehicle:
    '18 Barcelona Red ORP
    Ok great to hear. It sounded like BS to me but wanted to validate. Thanks @MeefZah

4. Jun 2, 2020 at 6:26 AM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Oldtoyotaguy Paid cash for it

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota 4 Runner Offroad
    I’ve never had any personal experiences with this, as I’ve never had a warranty claim in my last 2 Toyota’s that were both modified. But I understand from reading on here from the experiences of others that some dealers try to deny warranty coverage using the “any excuse will do” technique. If that happens, just try another dealer, there are the good and not so good in all walks of life.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  5. Jun 2, 2020 at 6:58 AM
    Mtbpsych

Mtbpsych New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    It really depends what dealer you go to and how willing the service advisor is to do their job. I know some dealers will say no if they smell the slightest modification done to your vehicle. While yes theoretically a lift and larger tires do strain your power train more, it wouldn’t be enough to cause a premature failure anytime soon. Just keep in mind that they can refuse to do any warranty related work and it’s a toss up. If your dealer is known to do mods though then I wouldn’t worry about it all. One of my local dealers does not do any sort of lifts, even spacer lifts because “it voids the warranty” so I know where not to go. I know someone who went to that dealer and had a leaky engine seal with 38k miles, but since he had a 6” lift and 35’s on they denied warranty work and blamed it on his lift and large tires.

Thatbassguy and Oldtoyotaguy like this.
  6. Jun 2, 2020 at 7:04 AM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Oldtoyotaguy Paid cash for it

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota 4 Runner Offroad
    Yeah, facts don’t matter to irrational people. Fortunately they can usually be avoided.

Mtbpsych[QUOTED] and Thatbassguy like this.
  7. Jun 2, 2020 at 10:04 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    I believe they have to prove that the modification actually caused the issue. Here, Magnuson Moss act..

https://apb-law.com/understanding-magnuson-moss-act-relates-aftermarket-car-parts/

Larger tires will probably only kill your transmission if you drive aggressively, or do a lot of heavy towing. This will also depend on how big you go. Of course, you should probably regear if you are doing a drastic increase in diameter.

8. Jun 2, 2020 at 10:22 AM
    Mtbpsych

Mtbpsych New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    They do but on your dime. You would have to disprove them at that point, hire lawyers, all that pain.

9. Jun 2, 2020 at 10:25 AM
    850RedRunnerORP

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    FL
    Vehicle:
    '18 Barcelona Red ORP
    Good to know. Thanks for the info fellas. I'm installing the Eibach Stage 1 kit with 285 KO2s. Nothing drastic so shouldn't cause any issue but I also don't want to shoot myself in the foot for possible warranty issues in the future.

When I first asked the question, they said "as long as we install the lift" everything would be ok... Doesn't pass the sniff test...

Thatbassguy likes this.
  10. Jun 2, 2020 at 10:40 AM
    Commited

Commited New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Oscar
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver Metallic TRD ORP
    Tinted fronts, blacked out overlays.
    When I purchased my 4Runner I asked what happens to the warranty if I add a lift and bigger tires. The dealer told me the only thing that gets voided are the items replaced with aftermarket items, which makes sense.

850RedRunnerORP[OP] likes this.
  11. Jun 2, 2020 at 10:43 AM
    Mtbpsych

Mtbpsych New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    If they install it that should give you a good piece of mind. Usually dealers who install aftermarket parts are the good ones that will stand behind warranty.

12. Jun 2, 2020 at 11:04 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    I would think that it would be their money, since they have the burden of proof.

You don't have to prove that the modification DIDN'T cause a problem. The dealership has to prove that it DID.

13. Jun 2, 2020 at 11:05 AM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    My opinion:

Don't let them install the lift. They are going to charge you an arm and a leg and are just trying to get your money. If they are willing to warranty your truck after they put a lift on that you purchased, then they should also warranty the truck if that same lift is properly installed by you or someone else.

There are multiple reasons they can claim something shouldn't be warrantied, but it will all come down to if they can prove your aftermarket parts caused the failure.

Maybe take solace in the fact that multiple 4Runner owners have put 285's on their trucks with zero transmission problems. These transmissions are rock solid. I've actually never heard of a failure. I'm sure there's been a few here and there, but I'd imagine it was from heavy towing or total offroad abuse, not going up a couple tire sizes.

850RedRunnerORP[OP] and 7385 like this.
  14. Jun 2, 2020 at 11:09 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM

I agree. They can't force you to use their labor.

And, as @nimby said, tons of 4runners on 285's with no problems. I barely even notice a difference except when I try to drive fast, which is pretty rare.

:turtleride:

nimby[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Jun 2, 2020 at 11:14 AM
    Mtbpsych

Mtbpsych New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
  16. Jun 2, 2020 at 11:23 AM
    ForRun

ForRun 4Runner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 orp
    A local dealer sells runners leveled with 285s at a 10k premium. I told salesmen I would just do my own for less than half that. Guy had the balls to tell me I would void my warranty but his lifted ones are fully warrantied:crazy:
    I bought at another dealer

nimby likes this.
  17. Jun 2, 2020 at 11:35 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    7385 likes this.
  18. Jun 2, 2020 at 2:56 PM
    850RedRunnerORP

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    FL
    Vehicle:
    '18 Barcelona Red ORP
    That makes sense! Hopefully I won't have to find out either way. Like others have said, these things are pretty bulletproof - one of the reasons I bought it.

travelinscout and nimby like this.
  19. Jun 2, 2020 at 2:58 PM
    850RedRunnerORP

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    FL
    Vehicle:
    '18 Barcelona Red ORP
    Thanks for the insight everybody, I appreciate it.

Thatbassguy and nimby like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top