1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Adding a Warn bumper and winch

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by JohnD, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Jan 5, 2019 at 5:30 AM
    JohnD

JohnD [OP] New Member

Member:
    I recently added a Warn semi hidden bumper and M8000 winch to my 2018. The entire install is easy if you like doing that sort thing. The only difficulty was figuring out how to non-destructively remove the plastic front end. The cutting goes easy, just be careful. It practically snaps right back in place. The two black plastic air baffles behind the grill, on each side of the radiator are bit difficult to remove and even harder to install with the bumper in place. I’d suggest getting them marked, cut, and reinstalled before permanently bolting on the bumper. Warn provides two small flat plates to brace the front lower corners of the fender openings. I bent a 1/4” offset in those to make a cleaner looking install. A bolt on plate on each side of the bumper extends back to the frame. These plates are very close to the sway bar. If I had it to do again I would grind or cut a bit more clearance but it’s not necessary.
    The M8000 winch fits in there nicely. All opporational features are accessible through the openings in the bumper. It can be set in place after the bumper is bolted on. The cables seem ready made for the 4Runner install. Zero modification required. Bolt the cables to the solenoid box before sitting the winch into the bumper. I tied the cables along the lower front of the radiator and continued to the battery through an existing hole in the core support. Generous use of a good plastic looming on the + cable and some edge guard on the passage through the core support are advised. The solenoid ground wire nicely matches up with an existing ground screw on the core support.

2. Jan 5, 2019 at 7:59 AM
    WallyT4R

WallyT4R New Member

Member:
  3. Jan 9, 2019 at 2:51 PM
    DesertCanyons

DesertCanyons Professional Engineer, Civil/Structural

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Pasadena, CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 MGM Trail Edition w/ KDSS, no sunroof
    ICON tubular Stage 7 lift (+2"), ICON Rebound wheels w/ Falken AT3W LT285/70R17 tires, Baja Rack flat utility rack and ladder, RCI skid plates, Domello rock sliders, Diff breather relocated, Baxter Performance remote oil filter, Weathertech floor mats, side exit exhaust, 2nd rear recovery point
    I'm from Missouri. You have to show me.
    Would like to see photos of the 1/4" plate you added.

4. Jan 9, 2019 at 5:01 PM
    JohnD

JohnD [OP] New Member

Member:
    I didn’t actually add a plate. The installion requires removal of a OEM “crash bumper” that’s behind the plastic front fascia. This leaves the bottom front fender corners unsupported. Warn provides thin steel flat straps to brace the fender to the new bumper. I bent a small 1/4” offset in those two flats to help align things a bit better.
    I’d post a few pictures but it’s all assembled now and I’m not really sure how to do that anyway.

424CD8D5-D4BF-4E64-9159-0ADE9A15F823.jpg

5. Jan 9, 2019 at 5:02 PM
    JohnD

JohnD [OP] New Member

Member:
    Well. I guess the photo did attach after all.

6. Jan 9, 2019 at 5:05 PM
    JohnD

JohnD [OP] New Member

Member:
    Here is a shot of how close the bumper mounting brackets are to the sway bar. I may remove them and grind out some clearance if it causes any noises.

3444677A-A058-4939-A879-BB8091D2F992.jpg

7. Jan 10, 2019 at 8:14 AM
    DesertCanyons

DesertCanyons Professional Engineer, Civil/Structural

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Pasadena, CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 MGM Trail Edition w/ KDSS, no sunroof
    ICON tubular Stage 7 lift (+2"), ICON Rebound wheels w/ Falken AT3W LT285/70R17 tires, Baja Rack flat utility rack and ladder, RCI skid plates, Domello rock sliders, Diff breather relocated, Baxter Performance remote oil filter, Weathertech floor mats, side exit exhaust, 2nd rear recovery point
    Thanks for the photos John. Yes, those plates would be stronger with a bend in them. An L2x2x1/8 angle iron would be stronger. The sway bar is not going to deflect much near the bushing. You should be fine. I'm going to look for the Warn hidden winch bumper on line to see what it looks like. Thanks again.

Products Discussed in

To Top