1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Acceleration issue...could be transmission?

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by Tavo_D, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Mar 14, 2017 at 11:33 PM
    Tavo_D

Tavo_D [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gustavo
    Vehicle:
    2001 White 4Runner SR5 4wd
    i purchased 2001 sr5 a couple weeks ago and changed timing belt,serpentine belts, water pump, spark plugs, tranny oil change. The only left is to replace bushing on rear driveline. Lately I've noticed that when I start the car and put it to drive and step on the gas pedal, the car won't move. You can hear the engine rev but I'm not going anywhere. I put it on reverse and step on the gas and moves no problem try it back on drive and nothing. This usually happens when I start the car in the morning. I'm in no way mechanically inclined to say what it might be but after doing some research and making phone calls I've come to the conclusion that it might be the transmission? Any info is greatly appreciated.

2. May 1, 2017 at 3:46 PM
    Mborowski

Mborowski New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1999 Toyota 4 runner
    None
    Mine is doing the same thing! Can't figure out the problem. Did you figure it out yet? Let me know my email is mjohnson053176@gmail.com
    Thanks!

3. May 8, 2017 at 4:49 AM
    Toyotayoda

Toyotayoda New Member

Member:
    Atlanta area
    Vehicle:
    1997 SR5 4x4, 302k and counting
    Tacoma whip, 99 console box, tru trac., steering wheel, PWMS and HVAC control out of a 99.
    The very first thing you should do is check the transmission level. Let the vehicle idle until at operating temperature, then be sure your parked on a level surface, the transmission dipstick is on the passenger side towards the firewall, the end is red. there are two different sets of marks at the end of the dipstick, the lower range is marked cold, and then not much further up is marked HOT. While at operating temperature the fluid level should be within the "HOT" range, if it is anywhere in that range do not adjust. If below add a half quart of fluid at a time(you may have to wait a few minutes after filling before the fluid can be checked again), if the fluid is over filled, the least messy correction is to drain the trans and then fill with 3 quarts and check again. The type of fluid you need is normally indicated on the trans dipstick somewhere. BY your description, I would think the fluid is low, automatic transmissions can act very strange if the fluid level is incorrect. If the fluid level is correct there are a series of tests you can do to help narrow down the issue, but we'll cross that bridge if we come to it.

Products Discussed in

To Top