1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A mom of three looking for advice!

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by BethanyMaine, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Jul 8, 2018 at 4:23 PM
    BethanyMaine

BethanyMaine [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    bethany
    Vehicle:
    2018 4 Runner (planning for)
    Hi all! I am a mom of three girls, ages 2, 5 and 7. I am desperately trying to avoid a minivan, and the pricing of the XC90s, Land Rovers, and Tahoes that I have looked at. I am leaning towards the 2018 4 Runner Limited, with the third row. Im fully aware that having the third row will mean limited storage space. Hoping the car seats are not too difficult to finagle. Are there any in my position, that feel that I am making a big mistake with this purchase? (I have driven the Highlanders, and not a fan of how they drive or look.) The color option in my area that is available on the lot is the Blue w/ Redwood interior. I guess I am open to any color thats not red. Anyhow, if anyone has any specific advice, I'd love to hear it! I live in Maine so winters are brutal and a safe car is essential.

P226Navy likes this.
  2. Jul 8, 2018 at 5:54 PM
    P226Navy

P226Navy 2016 T4R

Member:
    First Name:
    Vee
    South San Francisco
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota 4Runner

I have 2016 4Runner SR5 with 3rd row seat without any issues of storage if the 3rd row is down.

3. Jul 8, 2018 at 6:21 PM
    Limoguy

Limoguy New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner SR5
    3 inch lift, Gobi Roof Rack and ladder, LED lights, on board compressor.
    We as well have a 2016 SR5 with the 3rd row. You can fold one or both rear seats down which leaves plenty of room for storage. BTW 5 kids with one still in a car seat, our whole family fits in our rig albeit a little tight with the older ones. Cant ask for a more reliable vehicle.

4. Jul 8, 2018 at 6:36 PM
    totmacher

totmacher New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    West TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Nautical Blue
    done some stuff to it
    I have 4 kids under 9. All petite so in seats. 3 carseats across in middle and a highback booster in the 3rd row.
    Remember 3rd row is a 50/50 split in both new Highlander and new 4Runners. So you don't have to lose all of the cargo area.

With only 3 kids, you can fit them 3 across in middle row and still have full use of cargo area. Diono makes good narrow seats. You could even go with a Tacoma or Tundra truck and put a lockable cover on the bed. Wife loved my Tacoma with a shell on it until we had baby 4 and couldn't all fit it any more.

The 4Runner 3rd row has no lower Latch anchors and our booster hits the headliner back there.
    Not enough cupholders in 4Runner and the ones there are in the doors. Tough reach for some kids.
    Biggest complaint I have is no air vents in 3rd row in a 4Runner.
    Also, it rides a bit high for some kids to climb into on their own.

I have a 2018 4Runner and a 2008 Highlander now.
    The Highlander is more family friendly. Not sure what all has changed on newer Highlander vs mine. Mine has overhead air vents at both 2nd and 3rd row. This makes a huge difference in hot southern states. Can blow straight down into infant seat. The rear vents in 4Runner are in center console. So, kid in middle is cold while others are still hot.

My wife really prefers driving the 4Runner but agrees the Highlander has a lot of little things that make it better most of the time.

5. Jul 8, 2018 at 10:53 PM
    P226Navy

P226Navy 2016 T4R

Member:
    First Name:
    Vee
    South San Francisco
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota 4Runner
    I forgot to tell you I had a Range Rover and LR4 before. They are great cars but unreliable. If you have the budget for a bigger and very reliable car bigger than 4Runner just consider Land Cruiser. My dad has the 70’s which he loves to drive until now and all original and stock and a 2016 as well. I sold my Rover and LR4 just to have a 4Runner and I love it and having fun with it.

6. Jul 9, 2018 at 9:15 AM
    rsimi72

rsimi72 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 Premium - Gray
    Hi. I also have kids and traded my Tacoma for the increased space in the 4Runner. I don’t have the 3rd row so I can’t speak to that. I would buy the 4Runner again for my purposes. It looks great, has plenty of room and I expect it to be reliable for many years. BUT, since you asked, I would like it less if I was a commuter with lots of freeway time on a regular basis. I have a short commute and generally stay below 60 mph. My 4R gets a little wobbly at 60mph (steering wheel and seat). For me and my uses, it’s very tolerable. It works great for my family. But if I drove for long periods at highway speeds I might consider other options like the Highlander. I know I can pursue road force balancing and I will when it bothers me too much but I just rarely travel those speeds so I’m happy for my uses. My advice to you is to take a long and varied highway test drive and make sure you are happy with the performance. Consider your needs and uses and do your best to replicate those on your test drive. I really like mine and would do it again, just wanted to give you an honest opinion. Good luck!

P226Navy likes this.
  7. Jul 9, 2018 at 9:31 AM
    JBTRD

JBTRD As usual, saying something stupid

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2016 (The Real) Trail Edition
    OP, drop the Land Rover i know people with them, and i help them do work on them, they are know for roof leaks, and other mechanical issues, stay away.

8. Jul 9, 2018 at 9:57 AM
    tuc4r

tuc4r New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 T4R TRD ORP
    2018 4Runner ORP W/KDSS - ADS coil overs, ADS remote resi rear shocks, Total Chaos UCA's, Icon 2' rear springs, Nitto Ridge Grapplers, FN FX PRO wheels, AVID rock sliders, RCI Aluminum front skid, Bussman Fuse/Relay module, Canvas backs, Accessorides remote start, Rago Mole Panels, HID low beams, LED high beams, Morimoto XB fogs, Ceramic window tint, Ecotechne roof rack,
    You can't beat the 4runner for reliability. And what's your bias against red? :anonymous: lol

jgcaps likes this.
  9. Jul 9, 2018 at 10:40 AM
    P226Navy

P226Navy 2016 T4R

Member:
    First Name:
    Vee
    South San Francisco
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota 4Runner
    Check your tire balance and alignment for vibration. I never had that issue even going 75-80mph here in California Highway.

rsimi72[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top