1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

98 4-Runner Antenna Replacement Success & Fender liner fasteners.

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by dankeiley, Jun 21, 2022.

1. Jun 21, 2022 at 11:02 AM
    dankeiley

dankeiley [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    98 4-Runner Manual
    none
    Had a whip antenna and a Amazon power antenna mast on hand. The replacement Power Antenna mast went in without a hitch per the many U-Tube videos on the subject. Just be sure to note the orientation of the teeth on the plastic belt when you remove the old unit. Amazon had the replacement mast for about $14.00. It retracts all the way flush and extends to full length.

I peeled back the fender liner and inspected the "Power spool" before putting in the replacement mast. In hindsight, I should not have bothered. It was fine.

Damaged a couple of the square plastic snap in nuts that hold the fender. Found replacement parts at Pep Boys that fit great and accepted the original screws. Pep Boys PN 452810. $3.00 for a pack of 6. See Photos.

IMG-2375.jpg
    IMG-2371.jpg
    IMG-2374.jpg
    IMG-2379.jpg
    IMG-2380.jpg

7385 likes this.
  2. Jun 21, 2022 at 6:01 PM
    dankeiley

dankeiley [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    98 4-Runner Manual
    none
    That PN is for AutoZone, not Pep Boys. My error. DK.

3. Jun 22, 2022 at 11:57 AM
    PhantomTweak

PhantomTweak New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    OREGON
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner, bone stock
    None. Bone Stock. EXCEPT: Brushguard, tow hitch, both welded to the frame. It's good to have friends and a fully equipped garage!
    When I bought my 99 4Runner spring before last, it's mast was cut off about 2" from the nut that holds it to the fender. Like they had run it up, and cut it off. It didn't go up or down at all. I got a new mast for about $26,00 from RockAuto.

I DIDN'T watch the orientation of the teeth when I took it out, and spent 10 or 15 minutes trying to figure out which way was forward. Once we got that done, though, it went in eaaaaasssssyyyyy...
    Smooth as silk, as the saying goes. Now, it works great. This is the first Power Antenna vehicle either myself or my lovely wife have owned, and we both get a kick of watching it go up or down.

Thanks for the pictures. Better than I did. I didn't think to take pics as we did it.

Have fun!
    Pat☺

Products Discussed in

To Top