1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

98 3RZ FE Misfire

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by mbdoc, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Nov 15, 2018 at 12:38 PM
    mbdoc

mbdoc [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hello,
    First issue with my new to me 98 2.7.
    While driving on the highway, suddenly the CEL started flashing and the truck started msifiring, I got off the highway and retrieved a P0171, P0300, P0301 , P0304. I shut it off and waited for a few minutes, I re-started it and the misfire was gone along with the flashing CEL but I could feel that it is not running 100% but no major misfire, I drove home (about 40 miles) and as soon as I got off the exit it started misfiring again, Since I did not have time to diagnose it correctly I took a guess and ordered a coil (as it fires 1&4 , all 4 plugs and wires are new) on the initial startup after the coil replacement it was fine but then started to misfire again (P0300 , 0301, 0304) . I turned it off and waited, misfire was gone. I then parked it. Would it be fair to assume that the 1&4 cylinders are lacking fuel (lean code)? as the ignition delivery is fine and I would assume there is no mechanical fault as the misfire is intermittent

Thanks

2. Nov 25, 2018 at 9:02 AM
    Toyotayoda

Toyotayoda New Member

Member:
    Atlanta area
    Vehicle:
    1997 SR5 4x4, 302k and counting
    Tacoma whip, 99 console box, tru trac., steering wheel, PWMS and HVAC control out of a 99.
    Look into P0171, because the O2 sensor isn't monitoring each cylinder you could have failing injectors, or perhaps a weak fuel pump. Inspect fuel pressure first, once that is ruled out try swapping injectors around, just be sure to document which one swapped where. also when dealing with a P0171 it helps to know how lean it is, DTC sets when total FT (stft+ltft) is over 15%, is it on the lower end of that spectrum or higher. Fuel quality is another factor with P0171, I know the sticker on gas pumps say that E15, and E20 is safe for all cars, but I've seen lean codes with total fuel trims at 25% using e15 or e20, and 40-50% on Toyota's with E85 in the tank. But I'll wager in your case it's just a bad injector or 2.

Products Discussed in

To Top