1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

97 four runner limited

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by Tankskidder, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Mar 19, 2017 at 8:08 PM
    Tankskidder

Tankskidder [OP] New Member

Member:
    I have 97 Toyota four runner. Picked this rig up off craiglist. In add said not running. Go to look at it buy it on spot. Put new battery in knocks bangs little fires up.. blowing white smoke. Got it home. Started it ran it shut it off about 10 time.. then started smoking less so took it on first wheeling trip was great no smoke fine.. registered it ran it till winter. This is when it over heated for the first time ever. I had added bars stop leak 2 months before overheating. Today started to mess with it after it had been sitting threw winter. Put head gasket sealer in due to it blowing white smoke again. After running at idle for 20 mins decided to hit the trail up. the heat was in and out hot cool giving it gas it would get warmer. Made it to end of trail and the temp gage climbed into the red. Shut it off coasted far as I could..after letting it cool filled it back up.. went home let it run idle. Was fine when cap off. Felt cool spots in radiator so guessing it clogged.. "headgasket sealer will do that" I have new radiator gonna put in tomorrow. take air compressor try to blow lot heater core. has any one done this? I haven't looked yet but don't recall clear easy way to get to line to clean out. that's where I'm at the moment. Sorry for novel but figured this might help someone else. Will be flushing system and swapping radiator

2. Mar 19, 2017 at 8:10 PM
    Tankskidder

Tankskidder [OP] New Member

Member:
    Did the water pumped timing belt before doing anything else!! Also did "whoremonic" balancer.
    Just want to make it clear that it shouldn't be that. Before installing the water pump.. I marinetech the hole. Don't think that would change anything. Right?

Also the battery light has been on but the alternator is good. Gonna try new terminal ill keep you posted if you have ideas I'm all ears.
    Did the water pumped timing belt before doing anything else!! Also did "whoremonic" balancer.
    Just want to make it clear that it shouldn't be that. Before installing the water pump.. I marinetech the hole. Don't think that would change anything. Right?

The battery light has been on as well don't think it has anything to do with it over heating. Gonna try new terminal. If you have any other ideas let me know

IMG_20170306_1443331_rewind.jpg

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017

Products Discussed in

To Top