1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

97 4runner with no drain lines?

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by Marco79316, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Oct 29, 2016 at 12:51 AM
    Marco79316

Marco79316 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    marco
    Vehicle:
    97 4runner 2.7
    Hello everyone

I recently purchased a 97 4runner with a 2.7 motor. My sunroof is leaking. I cleared the two front lines but I was not able to find the rear lines. I have watched every video and read every post out there I could find and I still am not able to find the rear drain lines for the sun roof.

I have check just back from the rear tires and looked everywhere under there. I can see the area where they should be but they are just not there.

Thanks for any help

Marco

2. Oct 29, 2016 at 2:05 AM
    DLM_2002

DLM_2002 New Member

Member:
    One of my drains is in the plastic air vent (that lets air out of the cab) behind the rear bumper. the other one is behind the wheel well. If they are not there maybe they got cut or dryrot and broke off. You could take off the rear interior trim and see if you can see it.

3. Oct 29, 2016 at 9:14 AM
    Marco79316

Member:
    First Name:
    marco
    Vehicle:
    97 4runner 2.7
    Hi DLM, Thanks for you reply.
    There is definitely no holes or anything else where they should be. Where everyone has said it should be.

I guess I just get a putty knife under the trim and pull back on it? I'll try that this after noon.

Is yours a 97 4 runner?

4. Oct 29, 2016 at 2:53 PM
    DLM_2002

DLM_2002 New Member

Member:
    Ya mines a 97

5. Dec 20, 2016 at 6:52 PM
    Marco79316

Member:
    First Name:
    marco
    Vehicle:
    97 4runner 2.7
    I finally got the time to remove the plastic paneling in my 4 runner to locate the sun roof drain lines.
    The passenger side one was just laying in the space behind the rear wheel. There was no hole for the hose to drain out to. The hose was just laying there. But what is even more strange is there was no sign of water ever being in that area. If there was I would think it would of rusted. It was pretty clean just dusty. How could this be. I was able to blow through it and ran a weed wacker plastic line through it and vacuumed it out. But I didn't get anything.

On the drivers side the drain hose was rolled above the rear wheel area. So I worked it loose and tried to bring it back toward the back area behind the rear wheel on the rear bumper side of the rear wheel. There was no place to put the drain hose through on this side either. There was a white plastic one way air breather thing in that area. I was thinking I would try to route the drivers side hose into the the one way air breather box but it was a little short and wanted to bend up because it was rolled above the rear wheel for so long. I may need to extend the drain line two or three inches and run it into the air box thing.

So apparently my car has never drained correctly which would explain the head liner being so damaged. I purchased the car about two month ago. The person I purchased it from said he tried to keep the sun roof taped shut because it leaked.
    This car must have always leaked. I don't think the rear hoses ever drained. There are no holes for them to drain through.

So I was dreaming and saw a vision of my self bringing this car to Toyota and showing them that there are no drain holes and that the hoses have never drained. And in my dream I was trying to get them to take responsibility and correct this and replace my head liner.

Just wondering if my dream is a night mare. Thanks for any thoughts you may have or any advise on what I should do.

Products Discussed in

To Top