1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

92 keeps shutting off when put in drive

Discussion in '2nd Gen 4Runners (1990-1995)' started by Smitty86, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Apr 8, 2019 at 6:56 PM
    Smitty86

Smitty86 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyota 4runner
    I have a 92 3.0 v6 auto with 4wheel drive. I thought I had the issue fixed but keeps coming back. Vehicle starts and idles fine. If I back out of my driveway and go to put it in drive it shuts off. It starts right back up with no issues but if I go to put it in drive it shuts off again. I have to put it in neutral, then give it some gas and drop it into drive. Once I take off it will sputter until I get past second or around 20 mph. Once I'm past that it runs fine. Then when I'm pulling up to a red light it shuts off once I'm almost stopped and then I have to repeat all the steps to take off again. Sorry for the lengthy explanation but I'm getting tired of not knowing what's wrong. Any recommendations would be helpful. Side note. I have replace the starter, torque converter control solenoid, clean Mass air flow, clean the throttle body, put 44K in the gas tank. Not sure if it's an air issue or fuel. Thanks

paigemichelle0 likes this.
  2. Apr 8, 2019 at 9:38 PM
    Dezman92

Dezman92 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Norcal
    Vehicle:
    1994 Green 4runner
    You check your ignition timing?

3. Apr 9, 2019 at 3:21 AM
    Smitty86

Smitty86 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyota 4runner
    I haven't. When I bought the 4runner it would randomly do these symptoms. A week ago I drove it every day and ran perfectly fine. Would timing go be off in and out like that?

4. Apr 9, 2019 at 11:23 AM
    Rigo

Rigo New Member

Member:
    I took it to a mechanic for something similar (turn off when coming to a stop) they just replaced my distributer cap, and new spark plugs wires.. it happened 2 times after that but fixed it for the most part.. which I think is weird, but idk. Can be a vacuum leak, can be clogged air filter, dirty throttle body or fuel filter maybe

5. Apr 9, 2019 at 4:22 PM
    Dezman92

Dezman92 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Norcal
    Vehicle:
    1994 Green 4runner
    It could be if your timing belt or tensioner is messed up. It can jump a tooth or two and run like crap. But being in and out is weird. What about your boots between the air cleaner and throttle body? If there is a crack in the boots between the MAF meter and throttle body, then it can run like crap too. I would check the spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, and rotor. Look for vacuum leaks too. If all that checks out then test the fuel pressure. That is kinda a hassle though, Toyota requires a SST to test pressure at the cold start injector line. It's a banjo adapter that taps into a pressure gauge. You could just pay a shop for a diagnostic if that's too much. You don't have to have them replace the parts.

6. Apr 9, 2019 at 4:41 PM
    Smitty86

Smitty86 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyota 4runner
    Thanks for the advice. The plugs, wires and distributor we're all replaced right before I bought it. I've replaced the fuel and air filter and just replaced the air intake boot the comes off of the throttle body. I took it to a Toyota dealer today and they told me that boot has a crack in it so I replaced it once I got home and still the same symptoms. They also left my accelerator cable disconnected in bolts sitting on top of the intake. I called them back and they said bring it back and the lead tech would look at it tomorrow. I Will let y'all know what they find.

7. Apr 12, 2019 at 3:36 AM
    Smitty86

Smitty86 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyota 4runner
    Update: problem is finally solved. It took Toyota 3 days to figure it out but they found it. It wound up being a bad ignitor. Brought the 4runner home yesterday and driving great. Now I need to replace my lower ball joints and need new shocks up front. Nothing major thankfully.

8. Apr 12, 2019 at 11:54 AM
    HoBoDanny

HoBoDanny Dude...

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2004 SR5 V6 4WD 4Runner
    RCI Skid Plate CBI Ditch Light Brackets Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10 265 70R17 113T Tires 1.25” Wheel Spacers TPMS Bypass Mod Hydrocarbon Filter Removed Merca decal 2” leveling kit front only Black headlights
    Injector?

9. Apr 12, 2019 at 11:55 AM
    Smitty86

Smitty86 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyota 4runner
    They called it the ignitor but I drove it this morning and still acting up. Took it back and they are ordering the ecu

10. Apr 12, 2019 at 12:33 PM
    HoBoDanny

HoBoDanny Dude...

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2004 SR5 V6 4WD 4Runner
    RCI Skid Plate CBI Ditch Light Brackets Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10 265 70R17 113T Tires 1.25” Wheel Spacers TPMS Bypass Mod Hydrocarbon Filter Removed Merca decal 2” leveling kit front only Black headlights
    Maybe they are referring to the coil pack.

11. Apr 19, 2019 at 7:20 AM
    Smitty86

Smitty86 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyota 4runner
    Update: heading to Toyota dealership this morning to have thetcomputer changed and the 4runner broke down and would not start. Finally made it there, they replaced the computer and the 4runner is running great. Board was definitely shot.

IMG_20190419_094659.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top