1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

91 4runner won't start, HELP! 22re

Discussion in '2nd Gen 4Runners (1990-1995)' started by camodrums, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Sep 2, 2014 at 1:27 PM
    camodrums

camodrums [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Vehicle:
    91 Black 4runner 22re 5speed manual
    new tires and grille guard with offroad lights
    Howdy, never have gone online for help before, but this has me pissed off. I have a 91runner with the 22re cylinder engine and the other day I was just starting to gove it a tune up, and pulled what I thought was the MAS, removed the two Philips screws on the sensor and pulled and when I realized that those were wires and not the mas, I reinstalled it. Tried to start the truck (that ran just fine before this) but it just turned over, no start or sputter. I went online to find out that it was a VAFM (vane airflow meter) and broke the seal off the top to see the damage, connected back the wires but didnt solder the broken ones back onto the circuit board because they had contact. Tried starting, no luck. So I pulled off the two disconectable wires on the circuit board and tried again-same thing no luck. Even disconnected my battery for 10+ min to reset the ecu-no luck. I went and bought an afm off a 91 with a v6 from a junk yard and installed that (everything fit perfectly) disconnected my battery to reset the ecu and then tried starting it with everything hooked up with no luck-just turned over. It seems like it's not getting gas...is there a reason why the fuel pump would fail under these circumstances? And how could I do a fuel pump test to see if that is the problem? I am aware that the amf controls the fuel pump so I Dont know, I'm stuck. Thanks!

2. Sep 2, 2014 at 2:13 PM
    Utah

Utah Misanthrope

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Land of Fake Beer
    Vehicle:
    The Gray Bastard
    3RZ, OME, 5.29s, 4.7, locked/locked
    The V6 AFM won't work. Different wiring.

The fuel pump needs to see one of two things in order to run - it needs to see that you've got the key in the crank position, or it needs to know that the motor is running, and it gets that info from the ECU which gets it from the AFM. No AFM signal, no power to the fuel pump. You can bypass that safety circuit by jumping the +B and Fp terminals in the diagnostic connector near your fuse box. Should look like this in a '92 (I think...):

Picture334_0baf2580973012a0bea6ec3391374a096c95ac52.jpg

3. Sep 8, 2014 at 10:59 AM
    camodrums

camodrums [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Vehicle:
    91 Black 4runner 22re 5speed manual
    new tires and grille guard with offroad lights
    Thanks for the reply! I actually found the problem to be a blown fuse for the efi system from trying to crank the engine from not having all the wiring hooked up. I still have the afm off the v6 installed and it runs and drives just fine until I reach a hill and bogs down to low rpms and goes no more then 30, no matter what gear it is in. I've read that those symptoms could be a bad fuel filter or vacuum leak, but do you think it would be because of having the v6 afm instead of the 22re? Everything hooked up identically so I figured it was the same.

4. Sep 8, 2014 at 11:22 AM
    Utah

Utah Misanthrope

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Land of Fake Beer
    Vehicle:
    The Gray Bastard
    3RZ, OME, 5.29s, 4.7, locked/locked
    My understanding is that the V6 AFM signal is inverse of the 4cyl AFM signal, among other differences, I'm amazed it's running at all with that on there.

What happens when to stab the throttle on the flat? Same bogging?

Products Discussed in

To Top