1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

88 Brake ?'s

Discussion in '1st Gen Builds (1984-1989)' started by Rokruner88, Mar 17, 2022.

1. Mar 17, 2022 at 11:18 AM
    Rokruner88

Rokruner88 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lifted, bobbed, 4.3, 4L60
    I have a 1988 1st gen with 4.3GM V6, a 4L60E transmission and a conversion Toyota disc brake straight front axle and a stock Toyota drum brake rear axle. Axle ratios have been changed to 5.29 axle gears and 39.5 tires. It has a stock vacuum booster system.

The stock proportioning and leveling valve have been removed. Brake performance is not the best and I am thinking of installing a manual proportioning valve in the line for the rear drum brake axle. Does this make sense? Are there any recommendations on the make and model of valve along with recommendations on the optimum line pressures for the front disc and rear drum brake systems or is this a trial/experimental personal preference type of adjustment.

I use this as a crawler but it is licensed as well. I appreciate any other comments/recommendations.

Thank you!

2. Sep 22, 2022 at 10:37 AM
    ShimStack

ShimStack New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    NC
    Vehicle:
    '91 Truggy & '16 Tacoma Locked F/R
    40's, lockers, crawl box
    What are the conversion brakes on the front? Can you lock up anything on dirt/gravel? A proportioning valve is only going to bleed off rear brake pressure above a threshold so that they don't lock up way before the fronts. It's not going to boost your braking capability by much of anything. FROR has a valve for use with their brake stuff and Wilwood is always a good choice for something universal. While a properly balanced braking setup is very good, it can't make up for an overall lack of braking torque.

Products Discussed in

To Top