1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

7/8" Shackles in factory tow points

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by SrirachaHOT, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Sep 14, 2020 at 3:20 PM
    SrirachaHOT

SrirachaHOT [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Off Road Premium
    Do they fit? I've seen plenty of pictures of people with 3/4" shackles installed in the front & rear OEM loops. My trucks still on order, but REALLLY hoping these 7/8" shackles will fit! 20200914_180847.jpg

Starr and kbp810 like this.
  2. Sep 14, 2020 at 3:27 PM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ---

Member:
    Lexington, Ohio
    Just as an interesting aside, what you are telling anyone who has knowledge of recovery by having those hanging in your front loops, as I often see around here, is:

I get stuck a lot and have to get pulled out

Since you don't / shouldn't recover from the front, only the recoveree would have them on the front of their truck, and only a recoveree who needs them a lot would have them already set up to go.

I assume that the look people are going for is more along the lines of I have an unstoppable 4WD and I can pull your Previa minivan out of the ditch real easy but that message isn't getting through to the educated.

There's also the whole thing about not installing them until needed and such, and the argument that the frame loops aren't strong enough, but that's neither here nor there.

No idea if they'll fit.

3. Sep 14, 2020 at 3:41 PM
    SrirachaHOT

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    I 100% appreciate what your saying! But honestly, have you taken a look at the factory Dunlops these trucks come with lately!?! LOL!!!

I was going to immediately swap to KO3 Mud Terrain's, but instead I'm going to save up & get springs & shocks for a 2" lift before replacing the Dunlop's.

Running those stock tires with snow on it's way. I'll be impressed if I don't spin in a mud puddle.

These tires are a slap in the face to ANY 4WD truck!
    20200914_133354.jpg

DRobs likes this.
  4. Sep 14, 2020 at 3:51 PM
    kbp810

kbp810 rebmem wen

Member:
    They should have no problem fitting... but it's kind of an awkward spot to leave a shackle; and it's going to flop around a lot, wearing away the coating of both the shackle, the tie down, and anything else it might contact. Also, not totally an ideal recovery point. Sure, they'll work in a pinch, but I wouldn't want to rely on it for regular recoveries.

A set of frame mount recovery points would be a better solution (if you don't plan on adding a bumper, that it is). A hitch mount recovery shackle mount should be adequate for the rear.

SlvrSlug and SrirachaHOT[OP] like this.
  5. Sep 14, 2020 at 4:34 PM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Oldtoyotaguy Paid cash for it

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota 4 Runner Offroad
    Hey MeefZaw, I hear you, about permanent shackles, mostly for looks, lol. I’m not aware of any rules of recovery though. Anything and everything is fair game in a recovery and the only thing inviolate is to be aware of the load limits of your equipment and never exceed the weakest link. The other thing is to use line dampers on your winch lines, which you rarely see anyone using.

6. Sep 14, 2020 at 4:38 PM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ---

Member:
    Lexington, Ohio
    I'm no recovery guru but for a snatch type recovery the tow vehicle needs to pull forward. Obviously using a winch, other techniques, you could do it a different way.

Oldtoyotaguy[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Sep 14, 2020 at 4:45 PM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Those are great shackles, though. Good choice. Some of these come with locks so that if you mount them permanently they can’t be opportunistically stolen.

8. Sep 14, 2020 at 4:46 PM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, sometimes you need to be creative depending on how much room there is, especially on a tight narrow rocky trail. As long as it works.

SrirachaHOT[OP] and kbp810 like this.
  9. Sep 14, 2020 at 6:39 PM
    Starr

Starr Life Off the Road, off the Grid

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    SouthEast Maui
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 3rd Gen 2017 quicksand TRD OR, T4R 5th Gen TRD ORP silver , Tundra 2000 TRD OR silver, Deere 5300 4wd, Wrangler 1994 ARB air lockers, 1998 BMW R100RTL.
    KDSS, Baja Sport amber fogs, PRO Black wheels, BFG KO2's
    I'm a proponent of having easy access to a solid recovery point easily available front and rear. Yes, the red paint on the shackle is for show, but several times a year I slap a strap and another shackle on it and pull a confused tourist out of the ditch below the one-lane unpaved around the island out here. Pulling our own company vehicles hasn't happened for many a year.

IMG_6834.jpg

Attached Files:

10. Sep 14, 2020 at 10:30 PM
    DreamsComeTrue

DreamsComeTrue New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Venture
    I have one shackle hitch receiver in the back from rhinoUSA and I love how it sticks out and protects the back bumper. I also have two straps with me in case I need to pull somebody out of sand, or if a neighbor parks in my driveway.

ZRunner74 and SrirachaHOT[OP] like this.
  11. Sep 14, 2020 at 10:36 PM
    SrirachaHOT

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    The factory tow points these will be attached to look to be the most solid points on the frame of the truck. Heavily welded and THICK. The shackles come with rubber washers to stop any movement (and locks built in). I'm pretty confident they'll provide a legit place to hook up on both front and rear of the truck (2 in front, 1 in back). Lifetime no questions asked warranty to. I was just worried the ID of the factory hoops might be made specifically for 3/4" pins. Just found out that "7/8" pins fit perfect" according to a guy already using these on a 2020 4runner.

I've ALWAYS thought if your not getting stuck once in a while, your on to easy of a trail!! Time to step up to big boy challenges...

20200915_004006.jpg

DreamsComeTrue likes this.
  12. Sep 14, 2020 at 11:26 PM
    SrirachaHOT

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    I've used this thing for years in the back. As far as it being a step, it gets slippery as HELL the second it's wet!

20200915_022045.jpg

13. Sep 15, 2020 at 2:13 AM
    DRobs

DRobs New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Missouri Ozarks
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR - MGM
    Pinstripes, lots of em. Plus a couple dents.

Products Discussed in

To Top