1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

6th Gen is coming...

Discussion in '6th Gen 4Runners (2025+)' started by 4Runner170V, Jan 1, 2021.

1. Jan 18, 2021 at 6:42 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    Fuel economy and more power.. :notsure:

Agreed!

4Runner fun and nimby like this.
  2. Jan 18, 2021 at 7:10 PM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    Bout time. The oil-pump on my Z28 was the same part number for a 1940 chevy!!! I’m not kidding...

3. Jan 18, 2021 at 7:52 PM
    MI-FL off roader

MI-FL off roader T4R Hobby/Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    03' SR5 Sport - 12' Limited
    Too many mods and too much money
    Mmmmmm Ive got a craving for split pea soup

4. Jan 19, 2021 at 10:23 AM
    koukimonster

koukimonster DYNO4

Member:
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    Midnight Venture
    Bigger A/T LT Tires, Slight Lift, Sliders, Rack, Lights, etc.
    Probably founded in the incredible amount of complexity that would come with a Hybrid. Lots of us like old school internal combustion naturally aspirated simply for its simplicity. These days even mechanics don't know how to fix your car, they only know how to follow instructions to *try* to fix your car. I'm a long, long, long, long... long way from trusting a Hybrid for "overland" or "off the grid" duties. Good luck fixing it yourself at the bottom of the grand canyon.

Then there's the whole batteries killing the Earth thing.. but hey.. Hybrids eat skittles and shit rainbows, right?? (Yes I'm aware that gasoline combustion also hurts the atmosphere... but I hate how hybrid nut-swingers forget that their electricity came from somewhere... which most likely created pollution of some type.)

I work with Teslas and man are they unreliable and finiky. However you won't hear many owners say so because they love their Tesla! That's fine and to each his own, as long as the facts are stated and understood. Using your little Tesla to battery power you to work and back in the city is one thing. However many of us buy our 4Runner for a completely opposite experience. That said, yes, I doubt the teenage girls (50% at least of 4Runner buyers) will mind a Hybrid, so I can't blame Toyota for going that route (if they do). Doesn't mean I'll be happy though, as I'm not the typical consumer. C'est la vie.

MakiOne and catus like this.
  5. Jan 19, 2021 at 10:24 AM
    linkfeeney

linkfeeney New Member

Member:

6. Jan 19, 2021 at 11:56 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    I get what you're saying. I just think they have enough experience with hybrids to be reliable. If it's the only option, they won't be able to jack up the price too much. Hopefully. :)

OpBalance and nimby like this.
  7. Jan 19, 2021 at 12:01 PM
    mac1usa

mac1usa New Member

Member:
    There is an old saying that has been around for generations "If ain't broke don't fix it". A lot of manufacturers have sacraficed reliability for fuel economy. For me and my opinion this is what makes the 4R appealing is durability. Just my $.02

MakiOne, mrmike7189 and Tuco S. like this.
  8. Jan 21, 2021 at 9:41 AM
    linkfeeney

linkfeeney New Member

Member:
    i just called this one dealer in PA about this blue 4runner with Redwood leather... they offered me the deal then they called me back... sorry this one is gone... they have blizzard pearl with redwood if you like.... i said hell no... so lame that color! WOW hard to find that color big time!

9. Jan 21, 2021 at 9:49 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    I agree. But, the manufacturers aren't making this choice. Government regulations and the market are making them do it. As much as I like the idea of a bulletproof, proven design, a 4runner getting 25 MPG also sounds pretty awesome.

flyinhoot and Toy4X4 like this.
  10. Jan 23, 2021 at 6:32 AM
    Tuco S.

Tuco S. New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Off Road w/KDSS in silver
    If by fun you mean stopping frequently to fill the tank, then yes. It will still have the same towing and payload capacity as the other engines due to the short wheel base and high center of mass. Seems to me it's more of a novelty than a practical upgrade in performance and capability.

If someone buys a Wrangler for it's 0 to 60 in 'x' number of seconds and 1/4 mile speed, those are some strange reasons.

mrmike7189 and Thatbassguy like this.
  11. Jan 23, 2021 at 7:03 AM
    Mtbpsych

Mtbpsych New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    Oh yeah I forgot I’m already not filling up about 2 times a week in my 4runner:cookiemonster:
    If you’re that worried about what vehicles people buy with their money, there is something wrong:sadviolin: make sure you tell every V8 owner of the serious downside of going to the gas station more frequently!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  12. Jan 23, 2021 at 1:20 PM
    Tuco S.

Tuco S. New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Well I think there's a pretty big difference between a truck that gets around 19 mpg vs. around 13 mpg, and that's not off road mileage obviously, but I don't care who else buys what, or their reasons for buying it. Just saying it's kind of a clown car. Of course that's only my opinion. The V6 already has a limited range. I don't see the V8 doing anything the V6 can't do, except slurp more fuel and impress their friends with 0 to 60 stats.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  13. Jan 23, 2021 at 1:51 PM
    Mtbpsych

Mtbpsych New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    Wouldn’t the same be said about super cars? Might want to go bother some super car owners about not impressing their friends too much! It’s a weekend toy obviously, not a utility vehicle. Lol, don’t be such a negative nancy. Smiles per gallon:yay:

14. Jan 23, 2021 at 2:02 PM
    Bonitobob

Bonitobob New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 V8 Sport

15. Jan 23, 2021 at 2:03 PM
    Tuco S.

Tuco S. New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Am I bothering you? Maybe you shouldn't be so sensitive.

16. Jan 23, 2021 at 2:06 PM
    Bonitobob

Bonitobob New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 V8 Sport
    Well... let’s see. The V8 tows 7000 lbs and has full time 4WD. Not a big deal? It is to me. The mileage is just as bad but not worse than the V6. I believe almost everyone would buy that over the 6 if they had the choice.

17. Jan 23, 2021 at 6:44 PM
    Tuco S.

Tuco S. New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    We were discussing the V8 Wrangler, not a V6 vs. V8 4runner.

Towing capacity for the 4 door Wrangler is 3500 lbs, regardless of motor. Even their 4banger turbo pulls the max load of 3500 lbs. Granted, who buys a Wrangler to pull a boat? Just saying their V8 doesn't seem like a practical option if you plan on venturing off the grid, unless you also pull a trailer full of jerry cans....

Not to mention, squeezing an oversized truck engine into a vehicle with known stability issues doesn't seem all that wise to me. Death wobble meets 0 to 60 in 4 seconds. Just let me get out of the way first.

18. Jan 23, 2021 at 7:35 PM
    MakiOne

MakiOne I Luv My Watchdog & My 4R

Member:
    First Name:
    AJ
    KY
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5
    I say ‘go for it’!! :yes:

Patcell and Thatbassguy like this.
  19. Jan 23, 2021 at 8:33 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    How did the 6th gen 4runner speculation thread turn into the V8 Wrangler thread? :rolleyes:

It's a little weird that Mopar keeps wedging oversized motors into everything they make. I would rather have the turbo 4 than a V8 in a Wrangler, personally.

I don't think you can compare a supercar to an overpowered Wrangler, as a supercar would have handling and braking to match the speed. A fast Wrangler seems pointless to me.

Hopefully Toyota keeps the next 4runner simple.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    Red_5, thirdyota, Reldn and 3 others like this.
  20. Jan 24, 2021 at 6:46 PM
    Gumpus

Gumpus New Member

Member:
    I hope they go for evolution not revolution. New body on frame platform - perfect. Interior updates -fine. Robust transmission with 6 to 8 speeds - good. And personally I'd be happy if they just updated the current 4.0 V6 and added direct injection and bumped the compression by 1-1.5 points to get 10% more torque and somewhere around 325 hp. And keep building it in Japan please.

Han4Run, 4Runner fun and nimby like this.
  21. Jan 24, 2021 at 7:53 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    I agree with all of this. However, it's all but guaranteed the 4.0 is gone. And, I wonder if they'll be manufacturing them at the same plant as the new Tundra as they will share a platform now.

Red_5 and nimby like this.
  22. Jan 25, 2021 at 4:07 AM
    Bonitobob

Bonitobob New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 V8 Sport
    It may be the 4lander, new cross over with modest lift, lockers, and other options only available to it. Scary huh?

23. Jan 25, 2021 at 4:33 AM
    Bonitobob

Bonitobob New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 V8 Sport
    My vote would be strip out all of the creature comfort electric shit: no power windows, seats, locks, no infotainment etc. Bring back the V8. Put in modest factory lift, simple heavy duty suspension and front and rear manual lockers. But it ain’t going to happen because people love that shit that will break and the repair shops do as well.

24. Jan 25, 2021 at 5:08 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Not gonna happen. They will quit making them altogether before they make it into a crossover. They already have the Highlander for that.

25. Jan 25, 2021 at 5:23 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM

The appeal of the 4Runner is that it's a nice, comfortable vehicle that is also a capable off-roader.

The next generation is going to have more creature comforts. The V8 is never coming back. And, I've never had a Toyota power window or lock fail, or had any trouble engaging 4WD.

People can buy a Wrangler if they want to be uncomfortable.

EDIT: might as well get rid of the front differential since those fail. :boink:

Tuco S., Singleminded and nimby like this.
  26. Jan 25, 2021 at 8:59 AM
    Gumpus

Gumpus New Member

Member:
    I expect that you are right on both counts. For me one of the top virtues is that the Gen5 is built on a Lexus assembly line by Lexus workers with 100% of the parts coming from a Japanese supply base. It's a Lexus jeep. Personally I have zero issues with the current gen and would be tempted to update my 2016 to a 2022. I imagine that the resale value of the Gen5's will get even better when the Gen6 comes out.

Tuco S. and Thatbassguy[QUOTED] like this.
  27. Jan 25, 2021 at 9:17 AM
    Tuco S.

Tuco S. New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I suspect the 6th Gen 4R will be the same rugged body on frame SUV that it currently is, but will have some version of a large 4 cylinder turbo with DI, tuned to maximize low end torque, like the Subaru Ascent, or possibly some type of smaller hybrid 4 cylinder turbo with e-assist like the Wrangler. If Toyota engineers it, I would have more confidence in that type of powertrain than I would anything built by Ford or especially FCA.

Still though, that technology is far more complex and is prone to failures, requiring expensive repairs and maintenance. Engines with DI alone (not a combo of DI + port injection) also run quite filthy. I remember filling up my 2017 GTI (2.0L turbo and DI only) for the first time. The inside of the tailpipe was already full of soot after only 1 tank of gas. Throw in exhaust gas recirculation with an exhaust stream full of soot and sooner or later your intake will also be caked with it.

Knowing all of this was a big reason why I happily jumped on our dinosaur 4.0L, and will hopefully keep it running forever. Granted I'm pushing 50 so "forever" to me is a roughly 30 year window. I only drive 10k miles per year, if not less, so I think it's doable with proper maintenance.

28. Feb 9, 2021 at 12:26 PM
    thompsonmike

thompsonmike New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2018 Subaru Outback
    This is the only reason I bought an Outback. My Corolla had 215k and I wanted an adventure vehicle. I couldn't see 15mpg on a $40k vehicle. I'm a Toyota fanboy but my wife knows when the 6th gen comes out, the Subaru will be on a Toyota used dealer lot. I originally got 27-29mpg on a 6cyl Outback, not too bad. Since lifting 2" and putting 31" wheels on, I'm down to 24mpg highway. I also might need a new air filter, 50k miles with heavy off road probably has that original filter caked in dirt. hah

If I could get 22 - 25mpg combined stock, I would be very happy. I've been waiting for the 6th gen 4Runner for years now. Thought about the Tacoma when they dropped the Atkinson motor in but I drove it and it was always downshifting, would have gotten annoyed. I know I'm asking for a unicorn here, 25mpg, Toyota reliability, and good enough off road to overland, I'm not a rock crawler.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  29. Feb 9, 2021 at 3:28 PM
    trlhiker

trlhiker Lazy Bum

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1992 4Runner SR5 V6 4X4
    Never heard of an outback being lifted and bigger tires. Got a picture?
    Also I heard on a preview of the new Tundra coming out that the 6th gen may not be out until fall 22 as a 23 model with the next gen Tacoma coming out in 24.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  30. Feb 9, 2021 at 4:38 PM
    thompsonmike

thompsonmike New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2018 Subaru Outback
    Now I'm thread jacking... hahah

I heard something about the v6 twin turbo going in the new Tundra. I wouldn't mind that. That's similar to the Bronco motor. There was a lot of buzz about the 6th gen in 2019 and early 2020, since then it's mostly stopped. I keep searching for more info but there's nothing.

This was in ID, I'm the only one who attempted it.
    Part 1:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC1qG-nw_MU

Part 2:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhYBuLCBIkE

It's not a rock crawler but the AWD system is pretty good actually. I've never thrown anything at it that I couldn't do. I'm still buying a 4Runner though haha
    Here is an adventure I took 2019 Thanksgiving. Car wasn't lifted yet. It came with 18" rims and I went down to 17" then put a larger tire on, 245/65R17. Parents, wife and our dog threw the Thule on top and drove up to the Stargazer Yurt in ID. Was a crazy drive and I got concerned two or three times but we made it! Didn't even air down.
    https://www.subaruoutback.org/threa...32-offset-yurt-adventure.516778/#post-5907473

File_000 (1).jpg File_000.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top