1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

5th Gen Steering Wheel Shake: SOLUTIONS ONLY

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010+)' started by James P, May 18, 2022.

1. Jun 20, 2022 at 8:06 AM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    Thanks Electro. How have the Michelin AT's been in the snow, if you've had much experience with that? (I see you are in the Bay Area of CA).

While I much prefer the look of the 17" TRD rims, and think the stock 20" rims are kinda dumb, my main reason for the new wheels was to have a better range of tire choices. I especially wanted choices that would be good in the snow without having to go to a winter-specific tire like Blizzak. That's why I tried the Three-Peak rated Michelin Agilis Cross Climate, which had the added benefit of E Load toughness. When that caused both shimmy and body vibration, including after an alleged RoadForce balance, I returned them for another Three-Peak tire, the Pirelli Scorpion ATs. On paper they are a very good all around road tire, with of course the added benefit of decent off road performance, while weighing a lot less than the E Loads. So I was hopeful. But my hopes were dashed.

In thinking about actual solutions, it occurs to me that it would help to compile a list of tires that people have not struggled with. If this list shows consistent results, it could be a very handy guide. Because I really do believe that tire design is a key factor in this problem.

We maybe have a start on that list of tires that work, at least after balance attempts:
    1. Michelin AT
    2. Bridgestone Dueller H/T D684 II
    3. ...
    4. ...
    5. ...

Feel free to join in everyone!!!

2. Jun 20, 2022 at 12:13 PM
    Tmiesowicz

Tmiesowicz New Member

Member:
    The better half of New York
    Vehicle:
    2022 4 runner SR5 premium 4x4
    Has anyone here heard of a 3 vs 6 point way to balance a tire?

3. Jun 20, 2022 at 12:13 PM
    ElectroBoy

ElectroBoy Ad astra

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 ORP
    On my two previous (1st and 3rd Gen) 4Runners I had Michelin M/S2 tires, then the Defender LTX M/S tires. They balanced great and worked well for me for driving on dry roads and in the Sierra Nevada mountains snow. But my driving experience there was limited to hard packed plowed roads with very cold surfaces, and warmer daytime slush. Although I once did a 50 mile drive in a snowstorm in 12-15 inches of fresh snow from Groveland into Yosemite valley in my 3rd Gen on the Defender LTX tires. A normal 1.5 hour drive took 3.5 hours but it was a blast. I only saw two other cars going the opposite way and the 4Runner just bulldozed it’s way up and down hills in fresh untracked snow. Growing up in the western NYS snowbelt, you learn driving techniques that can work with just about any 2WD car and tire combination. Mostly by momentum and driving/braking/turning slower and more deliberately. So a 4Runner in 4WD with decent tires is quite amazing to me in snow.

For the Michelin LTX A/T2 tires on my 5th Gen, I don’t have any snow experience with them yet. But they have been great for me in dirt, gravel, and deep sand.

But as far as balancing and vibrations are concerned, if a tire or wheel is not defective a good tire tech should be able to balance it. I think it depends on the skill and determination of the shop to get it right.

4. Jun 20, 2022 at 12:27 PM
    Tmiesowicz

Tmiesowicz New Member

Member:
    The better half of New York
    Vehicle:
    2022 4 runner SR5 premium 4x4
    I love those WNY heavy snow falls, makes for a fun time to play before the plows come, or plow you into your drive way.

ElectroBoy likes this.
  5. Jun 29, 2022 at 4:50 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    Just updating, as promised. Still no shimmy since I went back to the OEM wheel/tire setup. Will update again after more miles. But I never had it on the first 13K miles on this wheel set, so don't expect to have it now that I'm using them again.

Meanwhile my beautiful new TRD wheels with Pirelli AT tires sit unloved in my garage...

2Toys and ElectroBoy like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top